Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ] 
Navarchos
Post subject: Titan Class, Armoured cruiser/Coastal Battleship 1933Posted: December 29th, 2014, 7:17 pm
Here is an own design for an Armoured cruiser/Coastal Battleship of the middle '30s, which was designed mainly for export
to small nations.

[ img ]

Dimensions: 150m x 22m
Armament: 2x2x14'' , 2x2x6'', 4x2x4'' double porpose A/A guns, 6x1x1,5'' A/A guns, 3x4x0,50'' A/A machine guns & 2x2x 21'' TT

drawing is not completed yet
any sugestions about this idea?

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Titan Class, Armoured cruiser/Coastal Battleship 1933Posted: December 29th, 2014, 7:35 pm
looks nice and realistic ship,
-Have you simed the speed etc ? ( slow 21-23Kn or fast 27-29Kn will change how it is looked at a lot ?)
-Can the AA 0.5s block the main guns ? especially the rear turret as it will want to fire as far forward as possible)
- I would think if you need TT or aircraft (depending on who its for)

JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
eltf177
Post subject: Re: Titan Class, Armoured cruiser/Coastal Battleship 1933Posted: December 29th, 2014, 8:48 pm
Either heavy armor and slow speed (Coastal BB) or less armor and high speed (Armored Cruiser).

I'd like to see both versions myself...

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Titan Class, Armoured cruiser/Coastal Battleship 1933Posted: December 29th, 2014, 9:21 pm
I agree with eltf177 that "armored cruiser" and "coastal battleship" roles seem to be bit contradictory. ;)
But it's a nice-looking design (more a coastal battleship to me).

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Titan Class, Armoured cruiser/Coastal Battleship 1933Posted: December 30th, 2014, 9:07 am
really nice drawing, and intresting concept...once it evolps. Like mentioned, the ammount of armour will mostly indicate its final role, but In the end, the hull size is also rather important determin the tactical purposes of such ship. Coastal defence ships, in the scandinavian context usually fielded rather shallow draugth enabling them to operate in the inner archipegalo and close approximity of the shores, where they can hide and force the deepr draugth enemy bluewater units into few navigatable fairways, where they would be easy targets not only for the CDS, but for mines and ligther forces.

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: Titan Class, Armoured cruiser/Coastal Battleship 1933Posted: December 30th, 2014, 9:59 am
Hello everyone!

First: Beautiful drawing. One of the most plausible looking AU ships I've yet seen in the bucket. Looks somewhat swedish.

Second: I found the design so interesting I did a Springsharp report on her. For what that's worth, her dimensions translate to some 9.500 tons standard. You can fit machinery for 20kts, 150mm side armour, 60mm main deck armour and fuel for 4000 miles at 10 knots, and that's it; neither much of an armoured cruiser nor much of a monitor, and the recoil of the 356mm guns will likely flip her over when firing a full broadside.

But: If you widen her - I tried a width of 22 rather than 20 meters - you get an entirely different beast. At some 12.000 tons standard, she can ship 250mm side and 80mm main deck armour (immune to any cruiser armament), move at 22 knots with a range of 5.000 miles and has no longer any problems with the recoil of her heavy guns. Now she is a coastal battleship of twice the firepower and considerably better protection than the swedish Sverige-class, which certainly would be interesting for several small navies of that era (Greece? Portugal? Peru? Poland? Siam? Turkey? Yugoslavia?). I severely doubt however if that design can be made into a cruiser; she would have to be lengthened to attain the necessary speed, and the recoil issue would remain critical.

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Titan Class, Armoured cruiser/Coastal Battleship 1933Posted: December 30th, 2014, 10:37 am
This is exactly the design I had in my mind for a Hellenic developed "Battleship" (I thought her with BL 12" MkX guns, 2 units built in 1905-1911, served in Balkan Wars, in WW1 and in WW2). In a refit she could take the 14" guns (I suppose they are the turrets from Salamis BB).

Well done Navarchos, Titan in really good and very plausible.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Titan Class, Armoured cruiser/Coastal Battleship 1933Posted: December 30th, 2014, 2:34 pm
Another very good looking and interesting concept. As a poor man's battleship it would probably do well for coastal defence.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs”

Jump to: