Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
bezobrazov
Post subject: H.M.S. Duke of Edinburgh as Originally Ordered 1902Posted: February 3rd, 2015, 9:33 pm
This I chose to put in the Never-Built Designs, although I could have coalesced it with my previous Real Life Design Thread.

During Queen Victoria's long reign as Queen-Empress over the Empire Where the Sun Never Sets, her Britannic Majesty's Mighty Navy sported a very attractive livery of off-white (eggshell) bright enameled superstructure, yellow-buff funnels, equally brightly painted and a coal-black hull. The effect was, if not practical, at least very impressive and breath taking.

I found a half-hull model of the DofE in the VRI paintwork (VRI= Victoria Regina Imperatrix) and decided to repaint the Duke to see how she would look if having been commissioned while Europe's Grand Old Lady still was alive, and below is the result:

[ img ]

With the quintessential white hull stripes, so characteristic of Victorian Men-o'-Wars:

[ img ]

Last edited by bezobrazov on May 9th, 2016, 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: H.M.S. Duke of Edinburgh as Originally Ordered 1902Posted: February 3rd, 2015, 11:10 pm
Ari, I understand why you have to find out. The result is just beautiful :D

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
jabba
Post subject: Re: H.M.S. Duke of Edinburgh as Originally Ordered 1902Posted: February 3rd, 2015, 11:48 pm
That's lovely!

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: H.M.S. Duke of Edinburgh as Originally Ordered 1902Posted: February 4th, 2015, 12:16 am
Looks very nice, makes me want to paint a dreadnought in it !

[Profile] [Quote]
adenandy
Post subject: Re: H.M.S. Duke of Edinburgh as Originally Ordered 1902Posted: February 4th, 2015, 12:41 am
She's a BEAUTY mate :P

Very well done :!:

:D

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: H.M.S. Duke of Edinburgh as Originally Ordered 1902Posted: February 4th, 2015, 4:33 am
Nice!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: H.M.S. Duke of Edinburgh as Originally Ordered 1902Posted: February 4th, 2015, 8:46 am
Very nice work.
The old Victorian-era paintwork was suitably splendid. Its a shame everything now that floats or flies is the same shades of drab greys.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: H.M.S. Duke of Edinburgh as Originally Ordered 1902Posted: February 4th, 2015, 5:33 pm
Hood wrote:
Very nice work.
The old Victorian-era paintwork was suitably splendid. Its a shame everything now that floats or flies is the same shades of drab greys.
Saves money on paint :)
Any way not to be side tracked, a very beautiful paint job, excellently done.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: H.M.S. Duke of Edinburgh as Originally Ordered 1902Posted: February 4th, 2015, 6:56 pm
not to spoil the compliments here, but in front of the aft superstructure a part of the railing is pure black, while a lot of parts of the black lining are not black but very dark grey ;)
otherwise, it looks very nice!

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: H.M.S. Duke of Edinburgh as Originally Ordered 1902Posted: February 4th, 2015, 8:29 pm
Fantastic drawing.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: