Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 7  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »
JSB
Post subject: Re: List of Ships in FictionPosted: April 18th, 2015, 2:32 pm
Hood wrote:
HMS Ajax III is an interesting 1909 take on the cruiser of 1927 - compound quintuple expansion engines probably seemed about right then, obviously the author had never heard of Mr. Parsons and his invention!
Sounds interesting can we have more details where is it from ?

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: List of Ships in FictionPosted: April 20th, 2015, 7:40 am
Hi JSB,

It can be found here: https://archive.org/details/battleforpacific00stevrich
It's featured in Chapter V, Harry Bowden's Naval Monster. The ship on the front cover might be an interpretation of the Ajax III.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: List of Ships in FictionPosted: April 20th, 2015, 12:30 pm
Thanks

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: List of Ships in FictionPosted: October 31st, 2015, 10:54 am
I've added another large batch of fictional ships from old 1911-26 era books, mainly British ships but some German raiders and French cruisers too and a couple of US vessels.

Super-Darings

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: List of Ships in FictionPosted: January 2nd, 2016, 12:26 pm
A year on from the first posting, I've been doing more updates from Project Gutenberg books and with the help of Graham1973 over at Secretprojects which now has a dedicated thread on this subject too (including some aircraft related stuff).

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/i ... 930.0.html

Super-Darings

[Profile] [Quote]
Graham1973
Post subject: Re: List of Ships in FictionPosted: April 13th, 2016, 8:11 am
Finally remembered I had an account at this forum. The list looks good, I've got some interesting material to hand, which I'll add at the Secret Projects forum once I have various things sorted out.

[Profile] [Quote]
Graham1973
Post subject: Re: List of Ships in FictionPosted: April 15th, 2016, 11:46 pm
I have managed to locate another copy of the Readers Digest edititon of "Cold is the Sea" by Edward L. Beach, I'd mentioned this one on the old Warship Projects board, it dates from the era that they illustrated the stories and if I can figure out how to scan them I'll see what I can do. It also looks like a few corrections may need to be made to some of the entries relating to that book, but I'll go over those in more detail after I've read the story through again. Hood can you PM me.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: List of Ships in FictionPosted: April 16th, 2016, 8:11 pm
Cold is The Sea by Edward L. Beach is part of a series of books on submarines he wrote based on his own experience as a submarine commander, during and after WW2. His most famous book is Run Silent, Run Deep, and also Dust on the Sea (IIRC). He also noted for being the Commanding Officer of USS Triton (SSRN-586) on her circumnavigation of the world in 84 days, all done while the submarine was submereged.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Graham1973
Post subject: Re: List of Ships in FictionPosted: April 17th, 2016, 12:53 pm
Novice wrote:
Cold is The Sea by Edward L. Beach is part of a series of books on submarines he wrote based on his own experience as a submarine commander, during and after WW2. His most famous book is Run Silent, Run Deep, and also Dust on the Sea (IIRC). He also noted for being the Commanding Officer of USS Triton (SSRN-586) on her circumnavigation of the world in 84 days, all done while the submarine was submereged.
Thanks for the additional information. I always try to keep my eyes out for books by the same author as ones I have added to the list, though in some cases like John Watson (Ugh!) it's not always worth the search.

[Profile] [Quote]
Graham1973
Post subject: Re: List of Ships in FictionPosted: April 19th, 2016, 2:56 am
Did a little poking around on Amazon.com and all three of the Edward L. Beach novels are available on Kindle, which makes going through them a lot easier. Hood, I'm having problems resetting my password on the Secret Projects forum, which may delay things further than I planned, if you see this please contact the mods there and let them know.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 7  [ 66 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »

Jump to: