Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 21 of 27  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page « 119 20 21 22 2327 »
CraigH
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: May 18th, 2015, 2:20 am
@Bezo:
Sure!

Some railroad stuff
More random stuff that strikes me!

[Profile] [Quote]
Cybermax
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: May 18th, 2015, 4:13 am
Wow Hermione! The real replica is lovely too.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: May 19th, 2015, 8:57 pm
I will leave the l'Hermione as it is right now. The image above is clearly inspired by the replica, which appears to differ in many respects from the original, and is, of course built with modern methods.I need to investigate the Concorde-class some more, since it appears to deviate to some degree from established French shipbuilding practice of the time (or, again, maybe it is the replica???)

I'm still not "on board" with her rigging, believing it to be, at least about two decades too "modern", but as it is, the replica ship does sport it, so it warrants some more investigation into when actually the change was made from the so-called Lateen-Mizzen yardarm to the classic "Hornblower"-era Mizzen gaff-yardarm on frigates and below (5th Rates and below).

EDIT: I was a tad careless in my critique earlier. I did now notice that the l'Hermione does, indeed,lack the later standard lower gaff, which was introduced after ca. 1786 to stabilize the mizzen, and which also enabled it to be elongated and adding more windage area. So l'Hermione's rigging is a transitional one. The SoL:s of the era kept the long mizzen yardarm longer than the smaller vessels. Afterall it was a useful spare yardarm!

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: May 20th, 2015, 1:33 pm
In response to Bezo's comments a small update to L'Hermione (1779). As I don't have anything but on-line resources for this ship I'm really hoping for some added info to make her right! Saw some other flaws in the drawing that were corrected.
[ img ]
L'Hermione (1779) Update
Use this as a baseline for modifications. Assume my permission is eagerly given. :)
[ img ]
L'Hermione (2005)
This is probably the way the initial drawing should have appeared.

Again, thanks for the comments and please, point out errors. I really appreciate those comments. Note: as usual there are likely minor modifications of current SB Standards...those are deliberate, done with thought and care; it's what it takes to do non-modern ships well and reflect sub-pixel structures.

CraigH

Some railroad stuff

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: May 20th, 2015, 8:09 pm
Well, Craig, knowing that the comment about permission pobably was aimed for me, I may at a later stage - after more extensive research - do the mods needed to bring her to her 1779 true appearance, as well as using her as a baseline for other frigate-classes of the Marine-royale.

The French frigates of the period were rightly feared; included in the squadrons and fleets under the command of intrepid and vigorous commanders such as La Motte-Picquet or Bailli de Suffren, they were truly lethal destructive forces to be apprehensively counted for by their enemy.

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: January 16th, 2017, 3:29 am
Some more tall ships!

Drew this last November late Turkey Day after that extra bottle of Cabernet>
[ img ]
Great Britain SV Mayflower (1620) A typical Carack of the period. Oops, there's no surviving drawings of the actual vessel. Just best guesses (and more than a few bad guesses).

[ img ]
United States SV Lumber Schooner CA Thayer (1895).** A typical West Coast Lumber schooner. This one still exists at San Francisco Maritime Museum. Back in the 80's I used to go down and work on her.
**May have uploaded this one already.

[ img ]
United States SV Extreme Clipper Sea Witch (1848).

Sea Witch is an important vessel. Her hull design was one of the most influential ever and sparked the real race for fast cargo carriers. Sea Witch was the first vessel to break the hundred day mark between New York to San Francisco at 97 days. Also, Sea Witch held the longest standing fast passage record between Hong Kong to New York...Last record lasted from 1849-2003! It took a multi-hulled boat to break it.
[ img ]
USA, SV Extreme Clipper Sovereign of the Seas (1853)

The first ship to go more than 400 miles in 24 hours. Holder of the record for the fastest sailing ship ever at 22 knots/41km/h, 25mph. We're not going to count modern racing yachts here as they are not freight hauling, revenue generating ships.

More to come when I get the chance.
CraigH

Some railroad stuff

Last edited by CraigH on January 17th, 2017, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: January 16th, 2017, 2:45 pm
this is High quality work

[Profile] [Quote]
adenandy
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: January 16th, 2017, 5:23 pm
:o W O W :shock:

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: January 16th, 2017, 5:44 pm
Excellent drawings. The details of the sails and lines are superb! I am going to try with the cabernet magic for my next vessel ;) ! Cheers.

PS: One pair of questions about the schooner, with independence of the drawing. May you say to me what are the most noticiable differences between a West Coast and an East Coast Schooners? And the crew size. Thanks.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Project SailPosted: January 16th, 2017, 10:34 pm
Excellent drawings!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 21 of 27  [ 263 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 119 20 21 22 2327 »

Jump to: