Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 4  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
seeker36340
Post subject: Re: Generic Pre Dreadnought BattleshipPosted: June 4th, 2015, 5:13 pm
Very German little gal

[Profile] [Quote]
tsd715
Post subject: Re: Generic Pre Dreadnought BattleshipPosted: June 4th, 2015, 5:27 pm
seeker36340 wrote:
Very German little gal
Absolutely. Based on the Kaiser Friedrich III Class.

[Profile] [Quote]
tsd715
Post subject: Re: Generic Pre Dreadnought BattleshipPosted: June 4th, 2015, 8:34 pm
This time I added more details as well as railings and some new shading. I also redrew the aft mast and crows nest.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Generic Pre Dreadnought BattleshipPosted: June 4th, 2015, 9:13 pm
Still, I have some remarks (in no particular order) related to the SB style application:
-the hull is supposed to be slightly darker than the superstructure (even if actually they are in the same shade);
-in SB black color is reserved for outer contours and edges at right angle (90 deg.) - if the - for example - walls of the superstructure met at an angle other than 90 deg. the line separating them should be in less-than-black color;
-You have to avoid double black lines - in case of gun barrels they are allowed only for certain calibres (in the 40mm range) - guns heavier than that need to have barrels 3-pixel thick - same applies to other elements (like that thing between aft funnel and aft mast);
-upper parts of the masts (esp. at the level of crow's nests) look like they are being made of single piece);
-railings need to have vertical lines spaced with 5 pixels between them and 2 pixels between horizontal lines;
-we don't use blue (or any other than white) background;
-portholes on ships that size are usually drawn bit larger (2x2 pixels of "blue" part) - regardless of the precise size in real life.
(and perhaps some more issues I don't immediately notice)

[Profile] [Quote]
tsd715
Post subject: Re: Generic Pre Dreadnought BattleshipPosted: June 4th, 2015, 9:27 pm
eswube wrote:
Still, I have some remarks (in no particular order) related to the SB style application:
-the hull is supposed to be slightly darker than the superstructure (even if actually they are in the same shade);
-in SB black color is reserved for outer contours and edges at right angle (90 deg.) - if the - for example - walls of the superstructure met at an angle other than 90 deg. the line separating them should be in less-than-black color;
-You have to avoid double black lines - in case of gun barrels they are allowed only for certain calibres (in the 40mm range) - guns heavier than that need to have barrels 3-pixel thick - same applies to other elements (like that thing between aft funnel and aft mast);
-upper parts of the masts (esp. at the level of crow's nests) look like they are being made of single piece);
-railings need to have vertical lines spaced with 5 pixels between them and 2 pixels between horizontal lines;
-we don't use blue (or any other than white) background;
-portholes on ships that size are usually drawn bit larger (2x2 pixels of "blue" part) - regardless of the precise size in real life.
(and perhaps some more issues I don't immediately notice)
Thanks for your comment. Will get on those issues as soon as I can. As for the background that's just a temporary fix so I have a solid background to draw on instead of that checkerboard pattern they put on when there is no background. About the black lines, I will resolve the doubles, but are singles alright, or should all of the gun barrels be at least 3 pixels in diameter?

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Generic Pre Dreadnought BattleshipPosted: June 4th, 2015, 11:14 pm
Its getting better, a few questions (hope they help)

- What are you saving it as ? you want .PNG as the type (stops rescaling etc)

- What about shading ? ie lighter from bow/top at the moment your ships is full of perfect rectangles. (and have the hull sides darker than top)

- What about using a template background to make it more shipbucket style ?

- As to your design what about lowering the front turret ? or raising the stern one ? (don't think you need both) but one would help balance it a bit IMO)

[Profile] [Quote]
tsd715
Post subject: Re: Generic Pre Dreadnought BattleshipPosted: June 4th, 2015, 11:25 pm
JSB wrote:
Its getting better, a few questions (hope they help)

- What are you saving it as ? you want .PNG as the type (stops rescaling etc)

- What about shading ? ie lighter from bow/top at the moment your ships is full of perfect rectangles. (and have the hull sides darker than top)

- What about using a template background to make it more shipbucket style ?

- As to your design what about lowering the front turret ? or raising the stern one ? (don't think you need both) but one would help balance it a bit IMO)
Thanks JSB. Currently saving as a gif, but I can easily convert it when I'm finished. I'm already in the process of lowering the bow turret. The current background is just a placeholder and I'll put in the SB template when I'm done. I already made the hull slightly darker than the superstructure (it will be in my next update). Would you mind clarifying the comment you made about the shading and the perfect rectangles, I'm not sure I completely grasp your meaning?

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Generic Pre Dreadnought BattleshipPosted: June 4th, 2015, 11:42 pm
Hope this helps
[ img ]

Put it on a template (cut its short to line to finish)
You will need to redo railings with different shade (might be easier before you do background)

Added an example (of stern and bow shading, darker and lighter) to to help from one of the masters.

[Profile] [Quote]
tsd715
Post subject: Re: Generic Pre Dreadnought BattleshipPosted: June 4th, 2015, 11:49 pm
JSB wrote:
Hope this helps
[ img ]

Put it on a template (cut its short to line to finish)
You will need to redo railings with different shade (might be easier before you do background)

Added an example (of stern and bow shading, darker and lighter) to to help from one of the masters.
Thanks. That helps a lot!

[Profile] [Quote]
tsd715
Post subject: Re: Generic Pre Dreadnought BattleshipPosted: June 4th, 2015, 11:54 pm
This update: A little more shading. Made the hull slightly darker than the superstructure. Fixed the double black lines on the smaller gun barrels. Separated the parts of the upper masts. Moved the bow turret down. Probably some more that I'm forgetting, too.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 4  [ 36 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: