Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
Lazer_one
Post subject: Re: Soviet/ Russian federation ship designationsPosted: August 25th, 2015, 6:53 am
I like your answer!!!
And I like the achronym PLSN/PLASN: I think that PLASN is perfectly fitting with the BS64 (the Delta IV modified to carry the Losharik).
I have some concern using the same also for Losharik because is really different from a "submarine": this unit can operate at very high depth (no official data but supposed also 1000 - 2000 meter!). Moreover the structure is, at the end, very very close to a batishpere...

I guess that you have and read russian books: do you have some more infos about the structure of the Delta IV? I am specially interested on the missiles section.

PS: I agree and normally I follow a designation based on the project number...

Lazer_One's Worlist - Updated 2021

Documentation is always welcome here

Lazer_One's Blog

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Soviet/ Russian federation ship designationsPosted: August 25th, 2015, 7:13 am
PLASN sounds nice, although the original idea of introducing the russian classification is to make the russian folder as comparatible for the other references using these designation as possible, so in that sense we should not go too far in inventing other uses for some designations, specially if they then confuse the viewer who is customed to it.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Soviet/ Russian federation ship designationsPosted: August 25th, 2015, 7:25 pm
@Gollevainen
PLSN/PLASN isn't my invention - I saw it elsewhere, and directly I took it from Apalkov (and I think we both agree that he rather knows about these things more than two of us combined). Also, as for the "using it for other designations", I think that it would be acceptable, since VMF had a number of very peculiar (full-sized) submarines (either purpose-built or conversions) that had/have equally peculiar, often one-off and highly obscure hull codes (like Pr.640 radar picket subs based on Pr.613; Pr.690 target subs, numerous weapons trials vessels etc.) which would be difficult to follow and I'm not sure if they would be any less confusing for anyone outside people professionaly related to the Soviet/Russian submarine force. ;)
Also, despite that footnote from one of Apalkov's books I quoted above, it (PLSN/PLASN) seems that it's in quite widespread (and, I suppose: formal) use for various specialized vessels - other Apalkov's book, the Korabli VMF. Tom 3 chast 2, Protivolodochnye Korabli. Malye Protivolodochnye Korabli in the extended part devoted to annexes to the earlier parts of the series, includes the Pr.690 Kefal (NATO: Bravo) target submarine (pages 83-84) described there under code PLBSN(ts) Pr.690, while the list of acronyms on the page 105 gives such codes as PLBSN and PLMSN, which are variants of PLSN, just with B and M for Bolshaya (large) and Malaya (small) respectively. the (ts) seems to me to denote short for (tsel) - target. Also, the text of the series (although I have to admit I didn't had time yet to study it in depth) suggest other such shorthands in ( ) for other specialized variations. That said, however, I believe that using the Bolshaya/Malaya and (...) elements would be excessive, while the basic PLSN/PLASN seems to me a legit code.

@Lazer_one
Indeed, the PLASN fits perfect for the Delta IV-based carrier. But I think that it would fit for the Losharik as well, since it's actual purpose it's actually quite obscure, but certainly is rather special. ;)
On a note: I think that proper designation for this Delta-conversion is Project 09787 - at least according to Russian-Ships:
http://russianships.info/eng/submarines ... 67bdrm.htm
As for the internal structure - not exactly Pr.667BDRM, but Pr.667BDR (Delta III), but I hope it would help anyway:
[ img ]
Btw. don't be confused by the APKR code - it's just an alternative type of designation: Atomnyi Podvodnyi Kreysier, Raketnyi - Nuclear Submarine Cruiser, Missile-armed. ;)

P.S. The code chart has been updated.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Soviet/ Russian federation ship designationsPosted: August 26th, 2015, 6:10 am
allrigth then, if its indeed used By russian literature, then I think we can use it in this case.

[Profile] [Quote]
Lazer_one
Post subject: Re: Soviet/ Russian federation ship designationsPosted: August 31st, 2015, 7:06 pm
... I am posting some drawings (but I have still a lot of doubts...)

Lazer_One's Worlist - Updated 2021

Documentation is always welcome here

Lazer_One's Blog

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Soviet/ Russian federation ship designationsPosted: April 5th, 2016, 6:11 pm
Good afternoon:
How is the nomenclature for soviet / russian auxiliaries? Specially oilers and destroyer / submarine tenders. Cheers.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Soviet/ Russian federation ship designationsPosted: April 5th, 2016, 11:58 pm
If You're drawing something of them for Shipbucket, then just use generic designations. If it's a matter of curiosity, then this can give You some idea:
http://russianships.info/vspomog/

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Soviet/ Russian federation ship designationsPosted: April 6th, 2016, 6:41 am
What eswube said, plus if you don't speak Russian, cross-check that list with the English version project by project so you can see what the designations mean.
If you open the pages for specific projects, you will see that most list ships named by the acronym of the class plus a number, which will give you the standard acronym for that class.

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Soviet/ Russian federation ship designationsPosted: April 6th, 2016, 6:32 pm
Thanks for the reference page, Eswube and Citizen Lambda! I must be doing something wrong, because I am unable to find the oiler Gregory Nesterenko, and the lists of that page are very comprehensive. I'm trying to find my "first surface vessel" in the SB scale. And I thought that something as big as an oiler will be a good candidate.

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Soviet/ Russian federation ship designationsPosted: April 6th, 2016, 7:02 pm
*phew* got it!

Looks to be Project 15966, although I only have the one source for it. Took a lot of Google-wringing to get the project name, strangely.
According to the Russian version, the class designation should be Большой морской танкер, but no guarantees.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 21 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: