Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 8 of 12  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page « 16 7 8 9 1012 »
Jackie Treehorn
Post subject: Re: World War I German destroyersPosted: February 5th, 2016, 1:35 am
Great. With that you answered the question what comes next. But, the same question pops up again. What comes next? ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
DG_Alpha
Post subject: Re: World War I German destroyersPosted: February 5th, 2016, 6:07 am
Another excellent series, great job! Nice to see all the destroyers that came from different 'sources'.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: World War I German destroyersPosted: February 5th, 2016, 7:54 am
Great work Garlic,
I wait with impatience the 1916 type, 1916 mobilization type, 1917 program & 1918 mobilization type :D

[Profile] [Quote]
darthpanda
Post subject: Re: World War I German destroyersPosted: February 5th, 2016, 9:46 am
Great work as always!

- RHKAAF / HKGFS - 皇家香港輔助空軍 / 政府飛行服務隊
- Gunbucket - LINK

天滅中共全黨死清光!

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: World War I German destroyersPosted: February 5th, 2016, 10:02 am
indeed marvelous work, these ships have always been among those I admire more than average, and its nice to finally see them in coherent presentations. Perhaps we see the Argentinian boats in their later career forms?

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: World War I German destroyersPosted: February 5th, 2016, 10:15 am
Excellent additions!

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: World War I German destroyersPosted: February 23rd, 2016, 9:09 pm
Hello again!

Grosse Torpedoboote 1916

By 1916, it dawned upon the German Navy that their previous destroyers were undergunned. They had lost five destroyers to enemy destroyer gunfire so far (among many more for other reasons), without being able to sink a single enemy destroyer with guns. With the large B97 and her various sisters and half-sisters in service by late 1915 and considered successful and popular ships, it was decided to build a follow-on class of another twelve large destroyers. With typical German sense for moderation, these ships were as excessively large as their predecessors of the 1906, 1913 and especially 1911 types had been excessively small. At 2.060 tons, the new 1916 type destroyers were more than twice as large as the 1913 type and had nearly four times the size of the 1911 type. Main artillery consisted of four 150mm L/45 guns, and torpedo caliber was increased to 600mm; two twin tubes were provided. Twelve units were laid down in 1916 and 1917, three each from Schichau/Elbing (S113 - S115), Vulcan/Stettin (V116 - V118), Krupp Germania/Kiel (G119 - G121) and Blohm&Voss/Hamburg (B122 - B124). Unlike the smaller B97, these large destroyers were officially rated as Torpedoboote rather than Zerstörer, resulting in their receiving the darker grey paintjob typical for the smaller German destroyers. According to photographic evidence, the gunshields were painted in a lighter shade of grey.

Only the first two groups yielded one completed specimen each; these are also the only ones of which line drawings exist. Only V 116 was commissioned prior to Germany's collapse in November 1918. She was ceded to Italy under the Treaty of Versailles and renamed Premuda; their forecastle, which originally ended at the forward corner of the bridge, was lenghtened to the bridge's aft end immediately after completion, probably even before. I have not found any photographs which show V116 with the original short forecastle. I drew her in this configuration anyway to show her main difference to her half sister.

[ img ]

S113 was not complete before mid-1919 and had to be ceded to France, where she was commissioned as the Amiral Senes. Differences to V116 were small; with her cruiser stern, S113 was slightly shorter than V116, and her forecastle reached to the aft end of the bridge from the beginning.

[ img ]

None of the G- and B- units were completed, and I have found no hint to their exact appearance in the www (whoever has better info - dump it on me!!!), other than that they would have looked very similar to the V- units, all having overhanging sterns; the B- units also would have had more freeboard forward. All in all, this info was not enough to make a sufficiently precise drawing.

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: World War I German destroyersPosted: February 23rd, 2016, 9:18 pm
Excellent work! :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: World War I German destroyersPosted: February 23rd, 2016, 9:54 pm
Another addition to this excellent thread. Well done GD

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: World War I German destroyersPosted: February 24th, 2016, 12:10 am
Great drawings GD.

These were lovely big destroyers, but as found in WW2 the 5.9" were just too big to operate successfully on a destroyer sized vessel.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 8 of 12  [ 112 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 16 7 8 9 1012 »

Jump to: