Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
Hood
Post subject: Re: Russian Project 1166 Gepard frigate - early variantsPosted: May 2nd, 2016, 8:34 am
Very nice additions, the Gepard is nice looking vessel in its newer more stealthy form.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Skyder2598
Post subject: Re: Russian Project 1166 Gepard frigate - early variantsPosted: May 4th, 2016, 8:00 pm
Nice work ;-)

~~Normerr~~FD stuff~~

[Profile] [Quote]
nhatmarc174
Post subject: Re: Russian Project 1166 Gepard frigate - early variantsPosted: January 8th, 2018, 4:27 am
Hello,

I've found this site when searching for elevation views of Vietnamese Gepard class ships. Your drawings are fantastic, and I intend to draw a 3d model based on them. Do you have drawings of top & front views of these ships? Thanks you very much!
citizen lambda wrote: *
OK, a last batch of variants and we should be done with the Project 11661.
Turns out they are real, built variants, but I feel they belong more in this thread where they have been discussed already, than they warrant the creation of a new one.
Anyway, here goes:

The second hull launched under Project 11661 in Zelenodolsk in the 90s was not completed with the same layout as Tatarstan, and was relaunched and finished in the early 2000s with more modern weaponry, including a 3R14 UKSK VLS launcher and a single second-generation Palma/Palash combined CIWS. The superstructure and masts also used newer shapes and materials meant to reduce the radar signature of the ship. The ship was reassigned to Project 11661K (confusingly, the same reference as the reworked Tatarstan) and christened "Dagestan".
Following a collision in 2002 that damaged the hull, Dagestan was repaired with distinctive stiffeners along the hull sides.
Dagestan made headlines in September 2015 when she took part in the first Russian strikes against Syrian opposition forces, firing Kalibr cruise missiles from the Caspian Sea to targets in central Syria, flying over the territories of Iran and Iraq on their 1500-km path.
[ img ]

In parallel, the Zelenodolsk shipyard named for A.M.Gorky was contracted by the Vietnamese Navy to build two 2000-ton-class frigates based on the variant Gepard-3.9 of Project 11661, part of the catalog of designs then marketed on the basis of the Dagestan.
The two frigates built so far for Vietnam are the first finalized examples of the Gepard family to include helicopter facilities, even though a closed hangar was not installed. The weapons and sensors suite are a modernized version of the suite installed on Tatarstan.
Both ships were commissioned in 2011, with a further batch of 2 in construction and slated for commission in 2017.
[ img ]
[ img ]

Note: for want of detailed plans, a lot of details are tentative in these drawings. What detail is included is nevertheless based on in-service photographs.

Anyway, enjoy, and feedback is all the more welcome for the lack of sources.

Edit: somehow noticed after posting and re-reading my post twice that I had forgotten to remove half the portholes on the Dagestan :oops:
If anyone needed to illustrate why we need a review process before upload, I guess that does it...

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Russian Project 1166 Gepard frigate - early variantsPosted: January 8th, 2018, 2:43 pm
Shipbucket artists typically do not make plan or front/rear elevation views. I would also advise against using the low-res raster art posted here for 3D model reference - a lot of detail and dimensional accuracy is lost because of the pixel format.

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Russian Project 1166 Gepard frigate - early variantsPosted: January 8th, 2018, 8:37 pm
nhatmarc174 wrote: *
Hello,

I've found this site when searching for elevation views of Vietnamese Gepard class ships. Your drawings are fantastic, and I intend to draw a 3d model based on them. Do you have drawings of top & front views of these ships? Thanks you very much!
Hello and thanks for the interest,

I'll have to concur with Colo on this. Shipbucket-scale drawings are not a very good basis for a detailed 3D model. If you are interested in making 3D models of the Vietnamese Gepard class, good for you, but material freely available is rather poor, these drawings included. I never found 100% reliable line drawings of these ships myself (look around on the Balancer boards for a second-hand attempts at two-view drawings you could use), so barring access to better sources, I would advise starting with drawings of the original Russian ships (readily available) and using photographs as reference for the Vietnamese-specific superstructure elements.

[Profile] [Quote]
nhatmarc174
Post subject: Re: Russian Project 1166 Gepard frigate - early variantsPosted: January 12th, 2018, 8:54 am
citizen lambda wrote: *
nhatmarc174 wrote: *
Hello,

Hello and thanks for the interest,

I'll have to concur with Colo on this. Shipbucket-scale drawings are not a very good basis for a detailed 3D model. If you are interested in making 3D models of the Vietnamese Gepard class, good for you, but material freely available is rather poor, these drawings included. I never found 100% reliable line drawings of these ships myself (look around on the Balancer boards for a second-hand attempts at two-view drawings you could use), so barring access to better sources, I would advise starting with drawings of the original Russian ships (readily available) and using photographs as reference for the Vietnamese-specific superstructure elements.
Thanks! In fact I drew a 3d model 4 years ago based loosely on photographs. After some years I think maybe at this time data about this ship are better, but it seems still hard to find enough materials. I just want to draw for fun and not expect to find data 100% precise. Some blueprint photos of 3 views are enough for me. Thanks again and I appreciate any suggestions!

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Russian Project 1166 Gepard frigate - early variantsPosted: January 12th, 2018, 3:20 pm
If you aren't concerned about 100% total accuracy then I'd say go for it ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: