Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 6  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Keisser
Post subject: Re: Dreadnoughtization succesPosted: May 29th, 2016, 1:18 pm
Version 3.0 is here.
[ img ]
Changes:
- Reworked main mast.
- Added two more shafts (shading looks really bad now, I know)

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Dreadnoughtization succesPosted: May 29th, 2016, 1:28 pm
The masts looks better like this IMO, less susceptible to breaking off in the middle of the platform in high seas :)
The shading of the lower hull doesn't look so bad, but you might want to sketch together a quick and dirty stern or bottom view to position the shafts in relation with the hull. Right now, the shaft exit points and the prop struts look half way to something out of an M.C. Escher drawing...

[Profile] [Quote]
Keisser
Post subject: Re: Dreadnoughtization succesPosted: May 29th, 2016, 1:33 pm
citizen lambda wrote:
The shaft exit points and the prop struts look half way to something out of an M.C. Escher drawing...
I decided to rework the bottom of the hull with the shafts completely. My eyes can't look at this without bleeding.

[Profile] [Quote]
Keisser
Post subject: Re: Dreadnoughtization succesPosted: June 5th, 2016, 10:06 am
I have just returned from the Zaporizhiya, where I had trip on the river Dnieper by a motor boat called "Khibiny". Here is it's drawing:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Keisser
Post subject: Re: Dreadnoughtization succesPosted: June 8th, 2016, 7:12 pm
New battleship! Now with adequate hull shading :D
[ img ]
Params:
Displacement: 36 214 t light; 38 310 t standard; 40 905 t normal; 42 981 t full load
Armament: 2х3+2х2 15"/50 cal guns; 24 5"/39 cal universal guns; 16 6"/42 cal guns. Weight of broadside - 9512 kg.
Armor: 15" main belt; 5" ends and upper, 3" bulkheads, 5" bulges, 1,5" armor deck, 10-12" conning towers.
Main calibre turrets armor: 17,72" face, 15" other gunhouse, 15" barbette.
Machinery: coal/oil fired boilers, 4 shafts, 94 312 shp/70 357 Kw = 26,00 kts
Range: 10 000 nm at 14 kts (bunker - 4 671 tons, 40% coal)
35 penetrations of 15" shells or 9 20" torpedoes needed to sink this ship.
Metacentric height: 1,7 meters.
Excellent machinery, storage, compartmentation space.
Excellent accommodation and workspace room.

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Dreadnoughtization succesPosted: June 9th, 2016, 9:45 am
Hi Keisser,

Are you sure about those turrets? The overhang at the back has to balance out the weight of the guns at the front (remember, these turrets aren't held down by anything, they just rest their weight on the ship structure - so they have to balance within that barbette or they'd tip) - I've seen turret bustles that short on 15" turrets (Royal Navy Queen Elizabeth-class battleships, for one) but not one anything with barrels that long. For instance, the HMS Malaya drawing from the archive has 56px (28 feet - about 8.5 metres) of barrel showing past the canvas cover - this is on a barrel that's 52.5ft/16 metres long. Your Anrea Elme has 78 pixels, (39 feet -11.8 metres) showing past the canvas cover on a barrel that's 62.5ft / 19m long. This will exacerbate any balance issues incurred by the short turret bustle.

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
Keisser
Post subject: Re: Dreadnoughtization succesPosted: June 9th, 2016, 1:09 pm
apdsmith wrote:
Hi Keisser,

Are you sure about those turrets? The overhang at the back has to balance out the weight of the guns at the front (remember, these turrets aren't held down by anything, they just rest their weight on the ship structure - so they have to balance within that barbette or they'd tip) - I've seen turret bustles that short on 15" turrets (Royal Navy Queen Elizabeth-class battleships, for one) but not one anything with barrels that long. For instance, the HMS Malaya drawing from the archive has 56px (28 feet - about 8.5 metres) of barrel showing past the canvas cover - this is on a barrel that's 52.5ft/16 metres long. Your Anrea Elme has 78 pixels, (39 feet -11.8 metres) showing past the canvas cover on a barrel that's 62.5ft / 19m long. This will exacerbate any balance issues incurred by the short turret bustle.

Regards,
Adam
Thank you for correction, I will shorten the guns.

[Profile] [Quote]
Keisser
Post subject: Re: Dreadnoughtization succesPosted: June 9th, 2016, 1:20 pm
[ img ]
Changes:
- Gun barrels shortened.

[Profile] [Quote]
Keisser
Post subject: Re: Dreadnoughtization succesPosted: June 12th, 2016, 7:54 am
Well, my first submarine work!
[ img ]
My rough Engrish does not allow me to write it's history, so I will put here only the list of the submarines... If somebody is interested.
Lamprey-class consists of 14 submarines:
- SS-1 Lamprey
- SS-2 Catfish
- SS-3 Carp
- SS-4 Minnow
- SS-5 Ide (not completed)
- SS-6 Zander
- SS-7 Burbot
- SS-8 Perch
- SS-9 Chub
- SS-10 and SS-11 did not get official names.
- SS-12, SS-13 and SS-14 were never completed due to laying down an upgraded Stingray-class submarines.
Lamprey-class is a 24-meters submarine (134 tons displacement), armed with 2 torpedo tubes. It is driven with 2 petrol motors (154 ihp, about 10 kts speed surfaced) and an electric engine (80 ihp, 6 kts submerged). Submarine has a range of 350 nautical miles.

[Profile] [Quote]
ABetterName
Post subject: Re: Dreadnoughtization succesPosted: June 12th, 2016, 4:03 pm
I think you may be pumping out too many drawings too fast.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 6  [ 59 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: