Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 4  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Pensacola, 1943 RefitPosted: July 14th, 2016, 5:57 pm
Quote:
The cut-down tripod aft will need some triangular cross-bracing (since it's no longer a triangle!), and I'm not sure if you have enough volume there for the director you've fitted. Colo would know.
I think it's fine - his refit looks very much like the refit Salt Lake City (CA-25) received in summer of 1944: http://www.navsource.org/archives/04/025/0402536.jpg

Pensacola received a much more drastic refit in 1945 to prepare for anti-kamikaze action in the western Pacific. That would be a logical next step for this drawing. http://www.navsource.org/archives/04/024/0402450.jpg

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Pensacola, 1943 RefitPosted: July 14th, 2016, 7:09 pm
I was trying to do some paint jobs but the color blue kept coming out as grey. There must be some sort of error that I can't fix with the original image from Karle94.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Pensacola, 1943 RefitPosted: July 14th, 2016, 7:20 pm
TristanAlting wrote:
I was trying to do some paint jobs but the color blue kept coming out as grey. There must be some sort of error that I can't fix with the original image from Karle94.
Try saving it into 24-bit bitmap, then pick that one and save it again as a PNG, this used to work for me when I had similar problems.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Pensacola, 1943 RefitPosted: July 14th, 2016, 7:31 pm
BB1987 wrote:
TristanAlting wrote:
Try saving it into 24-bit bitmap, then pick that one and save it again as a PNG, this used to work for me when I had similar problems.
It worked! Thanks a lot man ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Pensacola, 1943 RefitPosted: July 14th, 2016, 8:01 pm
Another thing to notice is that Pensacola had the entire mainmast tripod removed and replaced with a single tower during its refit at the Pearl Harbor Navy Yard in January, 1943 - this was the yard refit that repaired the damage received during the Battle of Tassafaronga off Guadalcanal on November 30th, 1942.

This is the ship photographed in October of 1943, with the tower addition visible aft.
[ img ]

It appears to me that the forward Mk.19 5" director has been replaced by a Mk.33 with a Mk.4 FD radar, but the rear Mk.19 is still in place. I can't be certain because of the grainy photo though.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Pensacola, 1943 RefitPosted: July 14th, 2016, 10:03 pm
I'll do multiple possible refits and paint schemes. I really like this ship so I don't mind overflowing this thread with different versions of this ship.

[Profile] [Quote]
Keisser
Post subject: Re: Pensacola, 1943 RefitPosted: July 15th, 2016, 10:51 am
Just a small what-if: Pensacola in early US "Great White Fleet" paint scheme!
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Pensacola, 1943 RefitPosted: July 15th, 2016, 10:57 am
That's some really good work, Keisser ;)

I just finished the paint scheme for a fictional Pensacola class cruiser. The design was based on WoWS.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Keisser
Post subject: Re: Pensacola, 1943 RefitPosted: July 15th, 2016, 11:05 am
This one looks like US Measure 17 to me.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Pensacola, 1943 RefitPosted: July 15th, 2016, 3:24 pm
I don't think the camouflages in World of Warships are any specific real-life Measure... merely a "close enough" pattern that gets procedurally applied to each ship so the devs don't have to make camouflage textures for each specific class of ship. ;)

USS Augusta was the only cruiser ever to have Measure 17 applied and I can't find any camouflage design sheets for it anywhere. Ms.17 was the forerunner to the later disruptive Measure 31, 32, and 33 schemes so it might be interesting to take a Measure 32 scheme for the Pensacola class (such as Measure 32/14D) and apply it to this drawing with Measure 17 colors.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 4  [ 37 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: