Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 13 of 17  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page « 111 12 13 14 1517 »
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: AtlantisPosted: July 15th, 2016, 12:55 pm
Will we get a follow-up T-800 class eventually, and if so, will it be named after the indomitable Admiral Schwarzenegger?

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: AtlantisPosted: July 15th, 2016, 12:57 pm
Might have to be the T-1000 class I think ;)

Just because we design and draw serious ships, does not mean we can't have some fun with them :D

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: AtlantisPosted: July 15th, 2016, 1:00 pm
Sure. For a moment I also speculated that you put that to check if someone was really reading those walltexts :mrgreen:

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: AtlantisPosted: July 15th, 2016, 9:33 pm
a few small comments on the missile cruiser:
- accurate parts will help a lot. take a look here for the launchers of the correct size http://shipbucket.com/images.php?dir=Pa ... rs%205.png
- the primary arc of the ASROC is forward, however the field of fire of your Mk 112 is mostly aft. (forward is primary because the propellers block out most of the sonar view aft, and you are most likely somewhat following the track of the sub when hunting it)
- parts! mostly the search radar in the foremast, but there might be more.
- It seems unlikely the bridge would still be open
- I do not see any heightfinders or 3D radars IIRC, so possibly you cannot correctly aim your directors.
- you replaced your main gun director by another one, which I do not know if it is superior. IIRC, apart from the radar antenna, the design is still very similar, so will it be worth it to replace the entire director and not just the radar?
- I am not certain if 2 boats on a ship this size is enough.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: AtlantisPosted: July 15th, 2016, 10:52 pm
Thanks for your help Ace,

I will update the missile parts off that sheet. that's the easy part.

The original parts I grabbed off the Boston and Long Beach drawings in the archives. The .gif format they are saved in shows the age of them. Looks like a lot of those could do with some TLC.

To make things easier for myself I am now looking at making use of the CLG-8 Topeka drawing (below) to provide the layout and radars that may be better to be fitted to my CAG.

[ img ]

Are there missile radar parts on the drawing I should not be using for the Hemera conversion?

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: AtlantisPosted: July 16th, 2016, 3:02 am
Nothing better to do for a few hours, so I have had a further play with my CAG using the above as the model.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: AtlantisPosted: July 16th, 2016, 2:48 pm
which GMLS are you using? the hatches and layout you took (from long beach) are for the Mk 10 GMLS, not available for the USN until 1960 and not exported until 1962, IIRC.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: AtlantisPosted: July 16th, 2016, 8:50 pm
That is the Mk.9 Terrier GMLS launcher and layout I used after you pointed me to the US launcher site. Providence class fitted 1959-60. So probably 1960 for my CAG rather than the 1958 I have it dated.

With Atlantis heavily involved with US in Pacific, Atlantis has Very Special Status for equipment purchases. Besides they pay with gems and gold, irresistible to any arms supplier.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: AtlantisPosted: July 16th, 2016, 9:03 pm
the Mk 9, however, is an on-deck installation with horizontal reloaders (not the diagonal one you have drawn, as neither of the missiles can go on the rails from the hatches while horizontal), check the magazine size and shape on the link I supplied. This installation is likely to be fitted (although an conversion using the Mk 10 has far more upgrade potential and will stay in service longer), but you will be limited to just 1 launcher and 1 (120 missile) magazine. this because it not really doable to have the launcher on top of the magazine of the other. It would possibly not be impossible to make an different Mk 9 magazine, however this would be special development and would take time, which would result in you getting the Mk 10 instead :P (both cheaper, more reliable and already in development anyways)

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: AtlantisPosted: July 16th, 2016, 9:09 pm
It's not obvious to me if this CAG is supposed to more early systems testing like Boston and Canberra, or more of a practical, deployable warship.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 13 of 17  [ 161 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 111 12 13 14 1517 »

Jump to: