Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Colosseum
Post subject: Colo vs. KrakatoaPosted: October 5th, 2016, 5:57 pm
Krakatoa wrote:
While praising GD for bringing this series together. Did any of you notice that one of the drawings is by Weisman and is just as good as GD's offerings?

Also note that while the drawings are good, they have all been posted before in Shipbucket in other threads.

GD has brought this series together, and I too am looking forward to where he takes the Turkish Fleet in Thiariaverse, but I will hold off on the 'high' praise till he does actually offer something new.
[ img ]

Wee woo wee woo here comes the Praise Police!

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Thiaria: Other People's shipsPosted: October 5th, 2016, 8:06 pm
Wow you are funny Ian, "the praise police", how long did it take you to think of that?

Why should anybody take any notice of anything you happen to post in this forum? Because your nick is in blue?

How did you put it in SMS World thread? " Fucking Kattsun. Shit I'm hammered" ??

So what happened? Post disappears, no apology for Kattsun, no public censure. Its as if it never happened. Just that anybody who happened to see that post before it was deleted probably lost a lot of respect for Ian B. Roberts. I know I did.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Thiaria: Other People's shipsPosted: October 5th, 2016, 9:02 pm
Ah yes. What you fail to realize is that Kattsun and I have been friends for years. But you caught me! An accidental drunk post after a night out at the bars enjoying time with real life friends. I'm sure you've never done the same with a drunk phone call or text!

As for "respect", well I'll let my work here (as little of it as there is) stand here for that. I suppose getting too drunk one night and jokingly berating an old friend in public cancels it all out, though. Fortunately for me I don't seek respect from this board to define my enjoyment in life.

I'm splitting these posts off so as not to ruin an EXCELLENT thread by Garlicdesign who is 100% worthy of all the "awesome brigade" praise heaped upon him.

edit: As for why you should listen to me, well the fact of the matter is of course that you don't have to!

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Colo vs. KrakatoaPosted: October 5th, 2016, 9:43 pm
It just shows how much more growth you have to go Ian. At 26, certainly go out and get hammered with your friends, but have the brains to stay offline.

It was not the post 'berating' Kattsun that lost my respect of you. It is how you handled it the morning after. Why not leave the post there and apologise for it? Show the world that you are capable of making mistakes and apologising for them. Sweeping it under the rug and hoping it would go away only made it certain that at some time it would come back and bite you on the arse.

Uhmm your last line shows how much you do not understand. I also said GD should get the praise he is warranted. Each of those drawings that are originally in other threads have my praise in those threads.

What got me is that nobody mentioned Weisman at all. You have not mentioned Weisman either. Is he not worthy of the same praise as GD? Garlic Design thought enough of Weismans drawing to include it in the post on the Turkish Fleet. Should that not show all of you that GD thinks Weismans drawing is as good as any of his and should get the same amount of praise?

My comments were to the point that all of those people who 'glanced' at GD's post and then heaped praise for GD, did not read the post or look at the drawings closely enough to notice or comment on Weismans drawing. GD may be 'Golden' in this forum, and to show any dissent is akin to sacrilege, but the rest of you need to have a wake up call every now and then and to actually look at what is there before making the 'Awesome Brigade' comments.

I can also make general comments on how stupid people can be at 26 in answer to your silly comments about online behaviour and real world happenings, but you are not worth the time or effort.

Why do you have to split off these posts from GD excellent thread? Because as per normal your heavy handed actions and silly cartoons drew the response they deserved.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Colo vs. KrakatoaPosted: October 5th, 2016, 10:02 pm
You are absolutely correct that leaving the SMSWorld thread open on my PC before going out was an oversight. I didn't think anything of deleting the post because no harm was meant/received towards Mr. Kattsun, though I can see of course how you would think so had you not understood the existing friendship. As for it "biting me on the arse"... well I'm not terribly concerned. Much worse things have been done on this board than me deleting an accidental drunk post making fun of a friend. ;)

I split the posts off because there's no reason his thread should be cluttered with our disagreement.
Quote:
It just shows how much more growth you have to go Ian.
As for this, well it would only make sense. You are more than twice my age if your profile is to be believed so apologies for not having the same depth of experience and character. I'm sure you made no mistakes at my age either. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Colo vs. KrakatoaPosted: October 5th, 2016, 10:47 pm
Oh I made plenty of mistakes at your age.

I still make plenty now, just that now it is a reflex action to apologise and say 'Sorry' when a mistake is pointed out to me, and mean the apology. And yes I am 58, my son is 32, and I see the same mistakes from you as from him. I say the same things to him as to you. Make a mistake - apologise for it straight away. Does not make any difference who it is you have wronged with your words or actions. An apology takes the heat right out of the situation.

I will not back down from any comment aimed at me, or in response to a comment that I have made. If someone thinks a comment I have made is wrong and shows me that my comment is wrong, I will apologise and mean it.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Colo vs. KrakatoaPosted: October 6th, 2016, 1:54 pm
We all have things to learn
we all do mistakes
It's how we learn from it
that show what type of person we are
It defines us

I for example, I love to say stupid things, that perhaps make me look like an idiot... but then I love to do so, if it make other people smile, by me being an idiot, Then I have succeeded.

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Colo vs. KrakatoaPosted: October 6th, 2016, 2:57 pm
To be honest, my take on it generally is that I comment on the drawings as presented. Hence, GD's, whether they're repeats or not tend to get "this is a good drawing", because if they were good the first time around, they're probably good the second time around. And yes, Weisman's drawing was good too (though it is interesting to note the differences in drawing style on comparable ships, isn't it?).

K's comment did confuse me a little. Is the praise lauded upon GD's drawings considered disruptive?

Ad

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Colo vs. KrakatoaPosted: October 6th, 2016, 7:52 pm
apdsmith wrote:
K's comment did confuse me a little. Is the praise lauded upon GD's drawings considered disruptive?
GD gets all the praise he deserves. Please remember that my praise for GD's drawings appear regularly and a lot of the time my praise of his work is first in line. I will also assist GD with any photos / line drawings that I may have that will help him with the real life ships he is drawing. For some reason people have got the idea that I do not like GD. Where the opposite is closer to the truth, I admire his work greatly, except where I think he is making a mistake, in which case I will say so (make a mistake in one of your own drawings and I will tell you too!). That all of you are willing to jump to his defence from the big bad Krakatoa makes me laugh. None of you have any clue why GD may have done a drawing the way he has, but you are all willing to guess, and have a go at me for saying that something GD has done is less than perfect. If it is less than perfect then he must have meant it to be that way.

Tell me please. How many of you think you have the right to answer for GD? Answer has to be = none. GD is big enough, old enough and as you have all noticed good enough to answer any query for himself.

As I said it was that nobody mentioned Weisman at all. Did you notice Weismans drawing before I made mention of the fact that it was there at all? If any of you noticed the Weisman drawing was there, why did you not mention it?

By the way the drawings of the two cruisers are completely different ships.

The Turkish Fleet post in the Thiariaverse thread is very good, if people read the text part of the post they will learn things they did not know before.

Henrik

That is well said and exactly what I am trying to get through to people.

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Colo vs. KrakatoaPosted: October 6th, 2016, 8:09 pm
Hi Krakatoa,

You see, this is why your comment confused me. In my own particular case (I recognise that the initial comment may not have been directed at me; I include this only to clarify my reasoning) I find myself commenting on GD's work when it's exceptionally good (by GD's standards) or if I've noticed something amiss - you may have noted that I didn't comment myself on the thread, because, well, GD (if it matters to him) already knows I have a high opinion of his work.

You might also note that I have neither attacked you nor defended GD (nor attempted to speak for him), merely tried to clarify what is and is not the expected standard on this board, and explain my own rationale in commenting when I deem it worthwhile. I suspect that you, K, want to raise the standard, particularly in the area of alternate universes, probably a good thing, even if it ends up excluding me from this board, but that's neither here nor there.

Oh, and, yes, did realise they're different ships, hence use of the word "comparable" - it's interesting to note the details that are included or excluded - the coal hatches on GD's, the amidships guns trained fore-and-aft on GD's drawing compared to Weisman's rendition with the guns trained amidships. I'd been under the impression that it's through such observations that we become better artists ourselves, though I surely have a long way to go.

Hope that explains my own comment somewhat better than appears to have been the case.

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 12 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: