Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 6  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Some British WW1 destroyersPosted: October 11th, 2016, 8:44 pm
Hello everyone

The following is a bit of fallout from my ongoing AU efforts, but there might be coming a few more (it's near impossible to find decent drawings with underwater hulls of British World War I destroyers). Don't expect them anytime soon however; anyone wishing to draw British destroyers from this era is invited to use this thread.

Talisman-Class destroyer

Four good-sized destroyers built by Hawthorn Leslie, either on order of the Ottoman government (which however kept no records whatsoever about this deal) or on speculation, sources vary. They carried five 102mm guns (two abreast on the forecastle!) and four 533mm torpedo tubes. All four commissioned early in 1916 (HMS Talisman, HMS Termagant, HMS Trident and HMS Turbulent) and fought at Jutland, where Turbulent was rammed by the battleship Westfalen, cut in half and sunk with all hands.
[ img ]

Talisman was later painted in dazzle camouflage.
[ img ]

Although they were held in high esteem (their underwater hull form was adopted for the V/W-class), the survivors were scrapped in 1921.

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Some British WW1 destroyersPosted: October 11th, 2016, 8:57 pm
Those who draw real life ships are the at the top of the food chain on this forum. Great work!

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Some British WW1 destroyersPosted: October 11th, 2016, 9:01 pm
Excellent drawings!

[Profile] [Quote]
signal
Post subject: Re: Some British WW1 destroyersPosted: October 11th, 2016, 10:16 pm
Wonderful! Thanks.

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Some British WW1 destroyersPosted: October 12th, 2016, 12:34 am
These look excellent indeed. Great job.
I'm always impressed when people manage to complete drawings based on century-old sources, seeing how I struggle assembling a convincingly complete pictures of some that are entering service right now...

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Some British WW1 destroyersPosted: October 12th, 2016, 2:51 am
That is some very nice work GD.

The Talisman's were used as Destroyer Leaders, something the RN was quite short of.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Some British WW1 destroyersPosted: October 12th, 2016, 6:52 am
Really nice to see RN destroyers, on the bucket, its been too long since last time :D

Edit: I have also couple of books of the matter regarding the linedrawings, so If I can help, Im glad to do so.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Some British WW1 destroyersPosted: October 12th, 2016, 7:38 am
Very nice work GD.
Drawing any ship from this era is hard, either incomplete or inaccurate drawings or artists impressions and grainy black and white photos that never show you good detail unless you can find good shots aboard (crew photos etc.). So well done for getting these looking so good.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: Some British WW1 destroyersPosted: October 12th, 2016, 8:15 am
Hi again

Thanks everyone!

@Golly: I take anything, there seem to have been dozens of variations within each class. Thanks in advance!

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Some British WW1 destroyersPosted: October 12th, 2016, 9:40 am
I have line drawings of the Australian 'I' class of 1910-15, and the 'S' class transferred to Australia in the 1920's.

I can send scans of those by PM if that helps?

With photos as well.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 6  [ 57 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: