Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
adenandy
Post subject: Royal Navy to lose missiles and be left only with guns !!Posted: November 16th, 2016, 7:43 am
:shock: Royal Navy warships will be left without anti-ship missiles and be forced to rely on naval guns because of cost-cutting, the Ministry of Defence has admitted. The Navy’s Harpoon missiles will retire from the fleet’s frigates and destroyers in 2018 without a replacement, while there will also be a two year gap without helicopter-launched anti-shipping missiles.

Naval sources said the decision was “like Nelson deciding to get rid of his cannons and go back to muskets”.

Full article:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...nly-with-guns/

Regards,

Andy

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to lose missiles and be left only with guns !Posted: November 16th, 2016, 8:40 am
No worse than the report yesterday that the Portsmouth Dockyard is aging badly, the electrical supply cables to the proposed berths for the new carriers are 80 years old. I know they built stuff to last in the old days but can anyone seriously say these are up to the job?

Also, perhaps a mod could move this to the off-topic section?

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to lose missiles and be left only with guns !Posted: November 16th, 2016, 5:49 pm
It might be worth considering, is ASTER anti-ship capable? I mean IIRC for the standard missiles a ship was just an really big slow low flying aircraft, so there was something alternative for the Harpoon.

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to lose missiles and be left only with guns !Posted: November 17th, 2016, 6:13 pm
I can`t belive it! :shock:

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to lose missiles and be left only with guns !Posted: November 17th, 2016, 6:41 pm
This is likely to be a temporary measure until the Sylver capable "Anglo/French" "Perseus" is ready in 2020 give or take. But I can't see the Harpoon being got rid of just like that.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to lose missiles and be left only with guns !Posted: November 18th, 2016, 10:35 am
I think the article writer have misunderstood the military a little. I belive what the Navy said is that they are not buying in New Harpoons to replace that they have used, they will use what they have stockpiled in stores at those various naval bases, and hopefully they are not empty before they get in a new missile type.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to lose missiles and be left only with guns !Posted: November 18th, 2016, 7:05 pm
Or they are going to use slingshot for the next war

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to lose missiles and be left only with guns !Posted: November 18th, 2016, 7:30 pm
Might as well go back to fitting those fighting bows Roman Gallies had and ram the enemy Lol

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to lose missiles and be left only with guns !Posted: November 19th, 2016, 9:36 am
Not sure how old the Harpoon stocks are, I'm sure I read something on the subject but can't remember where now.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
adenandy
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to lose missiles and be left only with guns !Posted: November 19th, 2016, 1:01 pm
:idea: Harsh language, sanctions and appeasement sound like a good idea...... :!: :roll:

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 21 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: