Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
Hood
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to lose missiles and be left only with guns !Posted: November 21st, 2016, 10:59 am
More glum news, or at least statement of the obvious!
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... s-warn-mps

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to lose missiles and be left only with guns !Posted: November 21st, 2016, 11:07 am
Are we outsourcing our defense... like everything the Tory govenment has done?

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to lose missiles and be left only with guns !Posted: November 21st, 2016, 6:55 pm
Even much more worse :mrgreen:
On French newspapers, I read that the French-navy send 6 submariners naval-officers to the royal-navy
(because the royal navy currently suffered from (very !) serious submarine-crews & technical expertise shortage)
:D

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to lose missiles and be left only with guns !Posted: November 21st, 2016, 7:02 pm
Colombamike wrote:
Even much more worse :mrgreen:
On French newspapers, I read that the French-navy send 6 submariners naval-officers to the royal-navy
(because the royal navy currently suffered from (very !) serious submarine-crews & technical expertise shortage)
:D
:shock:

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to lose missiles and be left only with guns !Posted: November 22nd, 2016, 8:33 am
Wouldn't read too much into that, French submariners have often joined submarine crews on co-operation and to participate in Punisher.
On the other hand, the RN is suffering from a manpower problem and retention of personnel is a problem too.

Super-Darings

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to lose missiles and be left only with guns !Posted: November 23rd, 2016, 1:59 pm
Just to clarify on what's obviously not mentioned by the Telegraph: Navy Recognition states that the 2018 deadline is the end of shelf-line for the Harpoons in stock.
A British tie-in to the Perseus program is mentioned, but there might be a wide discrepancy in IOC (betweem 2018 and 2030...).
In the meantime, there is always the possibility of purchasing surplus US Harpoons of newer Blocks, or buying a batch of whatever the US comes up with, co-developing an anti-ship version of the Scalp Naval.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to lose missiles and be left only with guns !Posted: November 23rd, 2016, 4:34 pm
There are always NSM. Just plug and play. And even the US are planning to produce it under licens

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to lose missiles and be left only with guns !Posted: November 24th, 2016, 8:33 am
Yeah, the Harpoon stocks are aging. With the tight budgets its possible that the government hopes it could acquire some from the US at short notice if it needs them.
So far there has been no mention of equipping the new P-8 fleet with Harpoon, but that would probably be possible too since they will be almost stock US standard from what I understand.

Super-Darings

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to lose missiles and be left only with guns !Posted: November 26th, 2016, 5:20 pm
Hood wrote:
Not sure how old the Harpoon stocks are, I'm sure I read something on the subject but can't remember where now.
Probably from early 1980's, some may be newer, Hellenic Navy also has such old Harpoon stock, purchased with the Elli Class frigates in 1981-82. Harpoon is turbojet powered, so I believe that the problem is the warhead and electronics-if something in there has specific life. Fuel also could be a problem, not sure about what fuel the Teledyne J402 turbojet burns-that is the engine that powers Harpoon missile, at least Block I round. In Exocet MM38 anf MM40 Block 1/2, only problem with age is the rocket engines, which need replacement every 10 or 15 years (not remember what I have read about), warhead is much more long lived if maintained and stored properly. May Harpoon's booster needs also replacement or rebuilt after its life ends.

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy to lose missiles and be left only with guns !Posted: November 26th, 2016, 5:39 pm
odysseus1980 wrote:
Hood wrote:
Not sure how old the Harpoon stocks are, I'm sure I read something on the subject but can't remember where now.
Probably from early 1980's, some may be newer,
The SIPRI database quotes no non-submarine Harpoon delivery to the UK after 1988, with according to them the only RGM-84 batch of ca. 100 delivered to arm the Type-22 and Type-23 frigates. Only later batch quoted is 20 UGM-84s in ca. 2001.
If that checks out, then the shelf life looks expired indeed.
AFAIK a Harpoon's fuel tank can be emptied during maintenance and the fuel replaced, but don't quote me on this.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 21 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: