Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ] 
rundrewrun99
Post subject: Hulls?Posted: January 2nd, 2017, 4:34 pm
Is it OK for me to cut and paste a list of hulls here (w/ credit) for people to use in making STODs (Ships of Their Own Designs)?

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Hulls?Posted: January 2nd, 2017, 4:41 pm
rundrewrun99 wrote:
Is it OK for me to cut and paste a list of hulls here (w/ credit) for people to use in making STODs (Ships of Their Own Designs)?

it's no point to do so, since all ships are unique. ships hull vary from ship to ship. and they are very easy to draw.

And we here in shipbucket, prefer that people learn to draw there ships, than just copy an paste...

[Profile] [Quote]
rundrewrun99
Post subject: Re: Hulls?Posted: January 2nd, 2017, 5:28 pm
Do you think then that it would be a good idea to emphasize the "learning" portion of this site? It seems more like a "5 people have projects and do all the work while everyone watches" sort of thing rather that a "community effort where everyone knows what they are doing". Mostly because us commoners do not have extensive knowledge of weapons systems, propulsion, engines, hulls, hydrodynamics, and how they all interact with each other. I am not trying to be rude, I just want to make sure that everyone can have fun here

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Hulls?Posted: January 2nd, 2017, 10:52 pm
Heuhen, shhhht :P be nice!

rundrewrun99, you are partially right, partially wrong.
Shipbucket is first of all an place for artists, who draw ships in shipbucket style. To help people draw realistic looking ships, we help them by having part sheets of real world systems and weapons that are (potentially) fitted on multiple vessels. however, an ships hull is ship-specific, and quite big, therefore we count these not as parts, but these are described in the guidelines for shipbucket drawings, together with the railing style, window colour etc. You are of course, if you credit, allowed to take hulls from other ship drawings, however this might not always be an good idea. from an artistic point of view this is perfectly fine though, and would your idea help some people.

however, by the excellent style and parts library that shipbucket is, there are a lot of people here who use these tools for ship design of ships that would actually work, and even most of the people who make 'artistic' work like to make ships that would actually work. Because of that, if you design a ship and want to copy the hull, you have to keep in mind the particulars of the original design, like the systems on board, the propulsion, the nation of origin etc.

and for that simple reason, cutting the hull off from the original drawing would serve no purpose at all: you would still have to look up the original drawing to see why the hull was designed and drawn that way. There is no shame at all in starting with somebody elses drawing and trying to find out how the ships worked, especially if it is an drawing of an real world vessel.

but of course, an drawing of an ship gives no information of what is on the inside, and not everybody knows. for that reason we set up the belowdeck parts viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2755, which show the 'inside' dimensions and workings of the onboard systems, and the generic ship guide http://shipbucket.com/forums/viewtopic. ... it=generic which showed the basic shape of warships troughout the years without all the details and shading of shipbucket drawings.

Ask questions, and we will try to help you and other new guys, but as we have our own projects and lives we can and will not always comment at everything ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
rundrewrun99
Post subject: Re: Hulls?Posted: January 2nd, 2017, 11:37 pm
Thank you!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]  Return to “Parts Sheets Discussion”

Jump to: