Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USS Fall River (CA-131; CAG-3) - Single-ended Talos ArmePosted: March 3rd, 2017, 2:38 pm
I am of two minds about the lack of credits: on one hand, the Baltimore is a comparatively old drawing of mine and not necessarily one of the best, but on the other hand, it's a bit brazen of you to completely remove me from the credit line despite using my original as a base (regardless of how heavily modified the superstructure might be). I leave the ultimate decision up to you - I don't care either way.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: USS Fall River (CA-131; CAG-3) - Single-ended Talos ArmePosted: March 3rd, 2017, 5:06 pm
Is it just me, or should there be credit, even if it is an old drawing? I mean if the original drawing being old or low quality was a reason for the credit to be removed, could we not do so on almost every single drawing, since if the drawing we work from is good already, why would it be reworked in the first place :P

from the style rules and standards:
Quote:
If you use someone else's drawing as a base for your own, add your name behind the original artist's name. Never remove the original artist's name. If we catch you doing this, your drawings will be deleted and you will be banned permanently from the shipbucket forum.
not trying to be an ass here, but seriously....... the rules here are quite clear

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: USS Fall River (CA-131; CAG-3) - Single-ended Talos ArmePosted: March 3rd, 2017, 5:24 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
from the style rules and standards:
Quote:
If you use someone else's drawing as a base for your own, add your name behind the original artist's name. Never remove the original artist's name. If we catch you doing this, your drawings will be deleted and you will be banned permanently from the shipbucket forum.
not trying to be an ass here, but seriously....... the rules here are quite clear

That is a line that should be Highlighted on the main page of the forum..... There are so many times I have catch people both in and outside the forum, without using my credit.... and those time in the forum... I just give up.

So long people use other people drawing and credit it, I give a damn :|

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: USS Fall River (CA-131; CAG-3) - Single-ended Talos ArmePosted: March 3rd, 2017, 6:47 pm
Both drawings updated, also with proper scuppers - and the egregious missing credit part. (Which was NOT by design, but rather by dumb lack of oversight and immersion into details other than that. If I inadvertently offended anyone, I apologize. Now, please focus on the ships, if you may...) As for Ian's statement about his "old" Baltimore - maybe it is, but the above-water hull still can hold it's own! What I did was correcting the underwater hull. Now it should be more than satisfactory standard wise!

[Profile] [Quote]
csatahajos
Post subject: Re: USS Fall River (CA-131; CAG-3) - Single-ended Talos ArmePosted: March 4th, 2017, 10:30 am
AMazing drawings!

"For some reason, the almost brand-new vessel, which had enjoyed only about two-and-a-half years of active service before being mothballed at the end of 1947, was ultimately rejected and the Chicago was selected instead." - Friedman cites the reason that Fall River would have had to be taken out from mothball for some cost and then Chicago mothballed so it was cheaper to select the active duty ship anyway.

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: USS Fall River (CA-131; CAG-3) - Single-ended Talos ArmePosted: March 4th, 2017, 1:43 pm
Very well drawn, can easily fool me as an already built ship, so real it is!

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: USS Fall River (CA-131; CAG-3) - Single-ended Talos ArmePosted: March 4th, 2017, 4:43 pm
The aft stack satcom antenna you've drawn on the 1970 version appears to be an OE-82C,
[ img ]
which was not in service at the time. I believe the correct antenna would be the previous generation OE-82,
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: USS Fall River (CA-131; CAG-3) - Single-ended Talos ArmePosted: March 4th, 2017, 5:33 pm
..... which I happen to have used for project DX, so you can just copy-paste https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/632 ... 201984.png

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: USS Fall River (CA-131; CAG-3) - Single-ended Talos ArmePosted: March 5th, 2017, 2:55 am
Thank you for all your kind compliments!

erik_t: You are a keen observer, but you're wrong, however. It's not the OE-82C, but rather an unknown SatCom installation, which also can be seen on several contemporary cruisers, such as the Little Rock. It looks very much like the later OE-82C, but is of a much earlier, apparently experimental, design. I have yet to identify it. You're right in one respect, for which I ultimately bear the full responsibility for: I used a shortcut illustrating it, by using my own OE-82C drawing, since I have yet to find enough detailed photos of this installation to enable me to draw it properly. Your technical drawings are wonderful, however, and I am greatly appreciative that you posted them!
As for the OE-82/WSC-1 (V), that is the square one, with four pin-shaped receivers/transmitters - it's there! Usually during this period, US flagship equipped cruisers carried one; they were never at this time doubled or paired as was the custom later (cf the DLGNS/CGNs of the California-class). You just need to find it! :D

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: USS Fall River (CA-131; CAG-3) - Single-ended Talos ArmePosted: March 5th, 2017, 7:06 pm
Changed the cone of the SatCom to look less like the OE-82C....maybe that'll do...

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 27 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: