Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ] 
DieReichsfurher
Post subject: Recon SubmarinePosted: March 7th, 2017, 10:50 pm
I had this cool idea about a tiny submarine that would go into enemy waters and release a small recon dron and sonar buoys to monitor enemy activity. This is my first post, tell me what you guys think! (Also IK I made it WAY to small so the next one will be bigger.) I decided to name it the USS Virginia Hall, after the spy.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Recon SubmarinePosted: March 8th, 2017, 12:42 am
Welcome aboard!

Good to see submarines designs as always.

Always a good idea to have these drawing on the templates (S2 in this instance), these can be found here .

I'm assuming this piggy backs onto larger submarines for insertion into the mission area? I'd be concerned about the large viewing port then as this would probably limit the depth in which the mother-ship can operate.

Submarines are inherently cramped things, midget subs even more so, with the sonar buoy bays and the launch hangar-ramp combo, I'm assuming this is single person operated, as it's less than half the size of the ASDS. Extending the bow section by like 5-6 meters wouldn't impact on it's ability to fit in tight spaces and would enable more range.

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
DieReichsfurher
Post subject: Re: Recon SubmarinePosted: March 8th, 2017, 12:46 am
Rodondo wrote: *
Welcome aboard!

Good to see submarines designs as always.

Always a good idea to have these drawing on the templates (S2 in this instance), these can be found here .

I'm assuming this piggy backs onto larger submarines for insertion into the mission area? I'd be concerned about the large viewing port then as this would probably limit the depth in which the mother-ship can operate.

Submarines are inherently cramped things, midget subs even more so, with the sonar buoy bays and the launch hangar-ramp combo, I'm assuming this is single person operated, as it's less than half the size of the ASDS. Extending the bow section by like 5-6 meters wouldn't impact on it's ability to fit in tight spaces and would enable more range.
Yea that was the idea, piggybacking on a larger sub. I had originally considered making it all drone operated, but decided on the one man cockpiy. I think i'll make an alterante drone only version. Thanks! Also thank you ALOT for the template, tha'll make this alot easier. :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Recon SubmarinePosted: March 8th, 2017, 12:57 am
No worries, that's what we're here for. :)

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
DieReichsfurher
Post subject: Re: Recon SubmarinePosted: March 8th, 2017, 2:11 am
Made the Drone Variant. :D (Also added missles to this one, since with the space savings from a cockpit to a computer, i assume you couls squeeze a few in there) Tell me what you guys think!

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Recon SubmarinePosted: March 8th, 2017, 8:08 am
Many modern Diesel Electric submarines that exist today or are build today have often some thing similar, build in to them. The old Norwegian-Swedish submarin project "Viking" was designed to carry remote controlled mini-submarine and deliver special forces, in a better way that on earlier submarines. You can see some similar feature from the Viking project im the Swedish A26-class designs

[Profile] [Quote]
DieReichsfurher
Post subject: Re: Recon SubmarinePosted: March 8th, 2017, 11:33 pm
heuhen wrote: *
Many modern Diesel Electric submarines that exist today or are build today have often some thing similar, build in to them. The old Norwegian-Swedish submarin project "Viking" was designed to carry remote controlled mini-submarine and deliver special forces, in a better way that on earlier submarines. You can see some similar feature from the Viking project im the Swedish A26-class designs
Great to know! Didn't think it was a real thing. Thanks!

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Recon SubmarinePosted: March 10th, 2017, 1:26 pm
Welcome abroad first!

Among best midget submarines ever built were the Yugoslav M100 Una Class, although they were not designed to be carried from a larger submarine. There are also numerous Swimmer Deliver Vessels from several countries around the world.

Here is link with info for many special operation crafts including surface, submersible or submarines:

http://www.hisutton.com/

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Recon SubmarinePosted: March 13th, 2017, 8:27 pm
Welcome to Shipbucket!

First things first, the drawing doesn't look bad as such, though the small scale makes it hard to tell. As far as style goes, you'll want to outline your sonobuoys and, of course, switch to a standard SB template if you want to post this as a finished drawing.
Quote:
Made the Drone Variant. :D (Also added missles to this one, since with the space savings from a cockpit to a computer, i assume you couls squeeze a few in there) Tell me what you guys think!
Yeaaah not really convinced. You'll find people around here with more real-world experience than me on the topic, but AFAIK the RC equipment doesn't make for much space saving in a manned-to-unmanned conversion, and you might want to leave some vaguely habitable space in case a human user has to take over locally. Realistically speaking, of course, make of that what you will ;)

Definitely look around for IRL designs as inspiration. Newer and projected designs will give you a taste of what is considered feasible, while older ones will give you more visibility into the whole space allocation thing, which is beyond critical in craft of that size. H. I. Sutton's site linked by Odysseus1980 is a great place to start on a fairly obscure topic.

[Profile] [Quote]
DieReichsfurher
Post subject: Re: Recon SubmarinePosted: March 19th, 2017, 5:59 pm
citizen lambda wrote: *
Welcome to Shipbucket!

First things first, the drawing doesn't look bad as such, though the small scale makes it hard to tell. As far as style goes, you'll want to outline your sonobuoys and, of course, switch to a standard SB template if you want to post this as a finished drawing.
Quote:
Yeaaah not really convinced. You'll find people around here with more real-world experience than me on the topic, but AFAIK the RC equipment doesn't make for much space saving in a manned-to-unmanned conversion, and you might want to leave some vaguely habitable space in case a human user has to take over locally. Realistically speaking, of course, make of that what you will ;)

Definitely look around for IRL designs as inspiration. Newer and projected designs will give you a taste of what is considered feasible, while older ones will give you more visibility into the whole space allocation thing, which is beyond critical in craft of that size. H. I. Sutton's site linked by Odysseus1980 is a great place to start on a fairly obscure topic.
Thanks, I think my main issue was definitely not using the standard ratio, so my spacing is really weird. I'll definitely look from some real-world inspiration. Thanks!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only”

Jump to: