Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 4  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 »
bezobrazov
Post subject: The Cleveland-Class Missile Conversions 1957-1979Posted: March 22nd, 2017, 8:47 pm
Rather than re-posting in the old thread, which got some flak for, in some people's mind, having been inaccurately labelled, I have chosen to post the extensively edited and, partially redrawn cruisers of the original Cleveland-class, rebuilt as Talos and Terrier missile carriers. The one unit still missing is the USS Galveston (CLG-3). I had a near-complete drawing of her before my computer crashed, and it was not saved. Gone also were the drawings that I based my SB-drawing on. Not very inspirational! I have searched the Net, unable to find those drawings, so that ship will have to wait.

But there are five drawn!
USS Little Rock (CLG-4; CG-4)
USS Oklahoma City (CLG-5; CG-5)
USS Providence (CLG-6)
USS Springfield (CLG-7)

and
USS Topeka (CLG-8)

The first two were Talos armed and served the longest; CG-4 decommissioning in 1976,CG-5 in 1979
The last three were Terrier armed and of these, the Topeka, a non-flagship conversion (as was the Galveston) serving only nine years, decommissioning in 1969. By 1980, all but the "Okie Boat" (CG-5) and Little Rock were gone. The latter was turned into a fine museum, at Buffalo, NY, the former being sunk as a target by a South Korean sub, Lee Chun, in 1999, having served longer than any Cleveland-cruiser, and leaving a sterling legacy behind.

As for technical details etc, please refer kindly to the former thread, since I rather not waste time and space reiterating those items: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3511&hilit=USS+Little+Rock

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

As for the work involved, the hulls, superstructures, with special attention being paid to the masts and bridge works, and electronics have all been updated, rescaled or redrawn. I've kept the original credits for convenience sake, since the ships are the most important items. I estimate that about 75-80 % have been one way or the other altered or redrawn.
A thought of deep gratitude goes to Kim Werner for messaging me about how to make Dropbox images shareable.

Last edited by bezobrazov on March 24th, 2017, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: The Cleveland-Class Missile Conversions 1957-1979Posted: March 22nd, 2017, 8:55 pm
the hull shading, with 7 shades total, seems a bit excessive. what are those colours meant to represent?

in addition, you have some ships credited with darth panda in it and some not, some with A. saarinen en some with bezobrazov, so I think something went wrong there.

the shading under the propeller guard seems not entirely sb scale. It also annoys me a bit that you have the funnels shaded, but not other round objects such as the supports under the main guns, the director towers and the cranes.

other then that, nice work!

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: The Cleveland-Class Missile Conversions 1957-1979Posted: March 22nd, 2017, 9:28 pm
Jan, I refer to the previous topic regarding the crediting issue; nothing went wrong there. As for the seven shades, you're right, but the hull has been one of the most challenging to shade - at least for me and I've been greatly helped by studying modern CGIs of the hull. Anyway. The hull had both a slight tumblehome and, most crucially, below water, some sharp angles and knuckles, all the way towards the "A"-turret. They had the (now here at SB so infamous) flutes at the aft floatplane section; all that I've tried my best to represent faithfully. You're more than welcome to suggest another method. if you like. As for some missing shades, yes, perhaps you're right. Time permitting, I'll look into that, definitely.

Thank you, though, for your compliments, Jan!

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: The Cleveland-Class Missile Conversions 1957-1979Posted: March 22nd, 2017, 9:31 pm
can you share the lineplan? then I will look into it. Without it, there is no way to draw the hull's shades accurate if they are as complex as you say.

also, wondering, what do they represent? each new shade is 15 degrees or something?

EDIT: RE: the crediting issue; I would suppose you would use the latest version of the name you use for crediting here, or is it intentional that some ships have 'bezobrazov' and some your real name? and maybe I am wrong, but I do not think it worth my time to look up the old thread and look where crediting was mentioned, could you please explain it here or link me to the old thread where this was discussed?

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: The Cleveland-Class Missile Conversions 1957-1979Posted: March 22nd, 2017, 9:49 pm
Ok, Jan, please message me your email or something so that I can send you the plan I've been working from. As for the crediting, it's simple. I'm using "Bezobrazov" if I'm co-crediting with an artist who prefers a pseudonym (or no longer is active). If you and I would work together, it'd be "A. Saarinen", since you sign with your RL-signature "J. Scholtens" - in other words, only trying to keep it rational and balanced. I do not know Darth Panda's RL name, so cannot use my RL-signature.

Edit: forgot to mention that I did the first editions, I think, back in 2013. A lot of water has been tumbling and soaring under the proverbial bridge since... - including crediting habits!

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: The Cleveland-Class Missile Conversions 1957-1979Posted: March 22nd, 2017, 10:14 pm
Absolutely beautiful drawings. Did the Terrier boats really retain SPQ-5 and RIM-2B through their entire missile careers? This is sort of surprising if true, although it would go a long way toward explaining their prompt retirement.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: The Cleveland-Class Missile Conversions 1957-1979Posted: March 22nd, 2017, 10:18 pm
Cool stuff. Glad to see every ship receive a drawing, and even a few different time windows for each. True "Shipbucketteering" or whatever you'd call it.
Quote:
I had a near-complete drawing of her before my computer crashed, and it was not saved.
I'm amazed at how often this problem seems to occur to our users. Put your working files in your Dropbox folder and use it as what it was originally intended for (a cloud backup for important documents) and not just as an imagehost. Whenever you save a file the Dropbox client automatically uploads the delta to its cloud servers and thus your work will never be in danger of the 1990s-esque hard drive crash problem. Each Dropbox account gets 2GB and you'll never fill that up with a few .png files.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: The Cleveland-Class Missile Conversions 1957-1979Posted: March 22nd, 2017, 10:42 pm
Those CLGs look good a usual Bezo! Aside from the hull shading issue the only thing I would have to say is that the 5-inch gun turrets have been updated and redrawn to the correct scale in the meantime, so you might want to update them on the drawings as well:
[ img ]

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: The Cleveland-Class Missile Conversions 1957-1979Posted: March 22nd, 2017, 11:11 pm
Good to see your fine drawn cruisers again Ari. I'm also glad my little dropbox-tutorial helped you :)

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: The Cleveland-Class Missile Conversions 1957-1979Posted: March 22nd, 2017, 11:45 pm
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_5- ... urret_Data

According to NavWeapons, the 5"/38 mount you want is the Mark 32 Mod 0. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 4  [ 32 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: