Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 4  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Hood
Post subject: Re: Early Steam Powered Torpedo BoatsPosted: April 3rd, 2017, 7:48 am
There is some excellent work in this thread. Certainly a thread to keep an eye on.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Early Steam Powered Torpedo BoatsPosted: April 3rd, 2017, 8:36 pm
Excellent additions DG_Alpha!

[Profile] [Quote]
juergen klueser
Post subject: Re: Early Steam Powered Torpedo BoatsPosted: April 6th, 2017, 8:13 am
Great work here! I love those early T-Boats. Please continue

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: Early Steam Powered Torpedo BoatsPosted: April 11th, 2017, 5:16 am
Quite a few of the early torpedo boats had auxillary sail power due to limited fuel capacity.

If you needed them at some distant Colony or outpost the options were to ship them in kit form, piggy back them on a bigger ship (assuming the torpedo boat was small like a 2nd Class boat) or, hoist some sails.

In this thread we may have at least half of the variants of smaller torpedo boats by the German company Schichau! The U.S.N TB-22 was one of the larger boats (3 masts too), then we have one of the earier and smaller boats in Waritem's post (2 masts) and then DG_Alpha went nuts on the TB-1 Class.

Also take a look at Redondo's Gold Funnel Fleet. He's got some old drawings of smaller Torpedo Boats in the Thread.viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1389.
He's got a number of British Yarrow and Thornycroft 1st & 2nd Class boats.

CraigH

Some railroad stuff
More random stuff that strikes me!

[Profile] [Quote]
DG_Alpha
Post subject: Re: Early Steam Powered Torpedo BoatsPosted: April 27th, 2017, 9:12 pm
SMS Th 2
The second boat ordered from John I. Thornycroft & Co. was a second class torpedo boat. Those were usually meant to be carried by larger ships and then deployed, but Th 2 could also operate autonomously. She was launched on 23rd of May and comissioned on August 1st in 1884, originally named boat Nr. IV (Nr. I - III were two sets of spar torpedo boats of the 1870s). Th 2 had a crew of six, was armed with two above-water 350mm bow torpedo tubes and one revolver cannon mounted aft. Of note was the funnel, which was mounted off-centerline on starboard.

After being used as a trial ship, she was converted into a regular steadmer an renamed Seebär (sea dog) and operated out of Hamburg. Along with steamers Lochiel and Silvana she was one of the first to test the new Schlick gyro stabiliaztion system in 1907/1908. Her fate after that remains unknown.
[ img ]

That dark paint job really obsures some of the details, especially on such a small ship...

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Early Steam Powered Torpedo BoatsPosted: April 27th, 2017, 9:43 pm
An excellent thread in true Shipbucket form. These small vessels are a nightmare to draw in such a small scale

@DG_Alpha
Quote:
That dark paint job really obsures some of the details, especially on such a small ship...
Maybe you will also do this in FD-scale? ;)

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: Early Steam Powered Torpedo BoatsPosted: April 28th, 2017, 4:18 am
Cool DG_A!!
Quote:
Her fate after that remains unknown
These little torpedo boats weren't all that seaworthy and had thin skins. Could have been blacklisted as a scary ride or they wore out. With little scap value it would have been easy to abandon and let it settle into the mud.

Quote:
I have the same problem. I always lighten everything up by at least 30% It's an old "scale color" physical modeling trick.

PLUS....I want to 2nd Novice's suggestion. FD-scale this one! ;) ;)

CraigH

Some railroad stuff
More random stuff that strikes me!

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Early Steam Powered Torpedo BoatsPosted: April 28th, 2017, 6:43 pm
Nice work!

[Profile] [Quote]
Jackie Treehorn
Post subject: Re: Early Steam Powered Torpedo BoatsPosted: April 30th, 2017, 7:07 am
Nice to see that this thread continues and DG_Alpha is back. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Odysseus1980Mk2
Post subject: Re: Early Steam Powered Torpedo BoatsPosted: April 30th, 2017, 6:37 pm
Nice to see these early torpedo boats. Keep it up!

P.S Please, want to see the real life Hellas "11" type torpedo boat, of German design built in 1880's.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 4  [ 33 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: