Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Gollevainen
Post subject: Laivue 2020Posted: April 13th, 2017, 5:17 pm
Despite the renditions have been around for some time now, I was only able to get some sort of profile view of the offical concept pictures of Finnish Navy's new warships for the 2020 era...

So here it is, the new Project of Minelaying icebreaker corvettes, that will form the backbone of our navy, a true open sea combatant after almost 30 years of such absence from our Waters. Although these will outward look much like any generic western OPV/corvette/light-frigate niche, they poses true inbuild mine deck and ice-breaking capacity in its hull form (sadly not yet published) and by these features, they will be quite unique vessels, and thus they simply had to be build in here, since no other manufacturer offered anything even remotely capable of passing the strict requirements.

[ img ]

At this stage the builder has been selected, and it will do the main design work, so the appereance of the actuall vessels when build might differ considerably. Also the weapon and equipment supliers have not yet been selected, so everything here is mere following the concept rendering with few selected choises for the artillery, the Oto Super rapid, as it appears to be in the concept pictures, and Millenium gun as my own musing to make this sort of lookalike to Sebu's wonderfull own ideas of this very concept.

As more information surfaces, Ill keep updating this and gradually move this to the real life section once we see it on the water.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Laivue 2020Posted: April 13th, 2017, 8:20 pm
Very beautiful vessel (both as drawing and appearance).

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Laivue 2020Posted: April 13th, 2017, 9:04 pm
Will be very interesting design indeed.
Btw. is Finnish navy still going to observe the limitations on tonnage that were enforced in post-WW2 peace treaty?

[Profile] [Quote]
Judah14
Post subject: Re: Laivue 2020Posted: April 14th, 2017, 3:40 am
Nice drawing! I find the ice-breaking capability interesting.

[Profile] [Quote]
sebu
Post subject: Re: Laivue 2020Posted: April 14th, 2017, 6:51 am
Well, finally... :D Considering the references available, you've done great work, again!
It's going to be 2500-3000t and draft under 4 meters.
eswube wrote: *
Will be very interesting design indeed.
Btw. is Finnish navy still going to observe the limitations on tonnage that were enforced in post-WW2 peace treaty?
The Paris peace treaty does not bind Finland anymore.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Laivue 2020Posted: April 14th, 2017, 7:19 am
Thanks.

The dimensions of this drawing are still of bit quesswork. Back when the program started, it was quoted that the ships would be around 90-110 meters long. I scaled this with the oto's gun, (resulting redrawing the entire thing BTW), and By it I got into roughly 109 meters.

here is my new Oto's Super rapid:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Laivue 2020Posted: September 21st, 2019, 11:18 am
Things have been put foward for the Laivue2020 as the new goverment finally signed the order contract from Rauma shipyards, which will build the four ships, while Saab provides the combat system.
After the first rendition I made few years ago, some things have indeed changed.

They are named as Pohjanmaa Class, so the lead ship will be Pohjanmaa, and the rest three most likely continuing other province names, thought the traditional Karjala, Turunmaa - Uusimaa, Hämeenmaa subdivision will be broken. Intresting to see, which province looses its nameship. :roll:
The ships overal dimensions have been published, of 114mx16mx5m, 3900 tons, making them considerably larger than the previous stated 60-105 meter 2000-3000 tons.
The weaponsystems will consist ESSM and ANAM/Gabriel 5 missiles, 2nd hand 57mm/57 bofors Mk3s from the Hamina class and Tp47 torpedoes. And naturally mines, which will be
held in internal minedeck under the helicopter landing platform. A hangar will be provided, but what size is not revealed, only i noticed mention of it beeing able to support unmanned drones

The ships will feature A1 ice class, with their rear made specifically icebreaking form, to allow movement in all wheater conditions. Of porpulsion and actuall radar and ECM suite, nothing has not yet been revealed, but Ill keep updating this thread along the Project materialises.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Laivue 2020Posted: September 21st, 2019, 2:52 pm
Great work!

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Laivue 2020Posted: September 21st, 2019, 3:23 pm
will be interesting to see them being build, nice drawing

[Profile] [Quote]
Vossiej
Post subject: Re: Laivue 2020Posted: September 22nd, 2019, 12:32 am
Really interesting to see this design coming together. It will probably serve as a benchmark as more northern navies are looking to expand their combat-capable ships deployed to the north Atlantic/arctic region. Is the Finnish navy planning on regularly venturing out of the Baltic sea with these ships?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: