Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
thegrumpykestrel
Post subject: Fortitude Class Patrol BoatPosted: April 14th, 2017, 10:27 am
Hallo everyone!
Really new here, but I like designing stuff so jumped right in! Here's my take on a patrol boat, though still a WIP. Constructive criticism is more than welcome.
[UPDATED] : Redone hull, changed to Axe Bow design based off Damen OPV 1800, assorted other improvements

[ img ]

Waterline
[ img ]

Still trying to fully flesh out the details, but so far...
Length: 64m
Displacement: 600 tons
Speed: 27 knots (overly optimistic?)
Range: 3200nm at 12 knots
Complement: 26 (standard)
(If anyone had any powerplants to recommend, that'd be a great help!)

Armament: Thales RAPIDSeaGuardian 40mm CIWS/Multipurpose (Based on the CTA40 40mm gun), 2x M2 .50 HMG, small arms
Radar: SAAB Sea Giraffe AMB
Boats: 2x RHIBs

The Fortitude class has limited aviation facilities, being equipped with a Schiebel S100 Camcopter and a small hangar/mission bay to accommodate this. It isn't designed to operate anything larger, though it could possibly at a (big) stretch accommodate a MQ-8B (small helicopters can use the helipad to transfer personnel and supplies).

Last edited by thegrumpykestrel on April 20th, 2017, 1:10 am, edited 5 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Fortitude Class Patrol BoatPosted: April 14th, 2017, 10:57 am
Not that bad. There are of course things that could be done different. Other people can comment on that, I will just write some small points:

- It is always great for a crew, to have an all round view from the bridge. That will say, that there's nothing that is blocking the view... But sometimes...

- Gun, for best possible effect of an gun, is that there is nothing blocking for it. At the moment the bow is blocking the forward view, for the gun, somewhat. (yeah I know som British Frigates had that type of bow, nut they also had a different type of gun, for a different type of task/role)

- underwater hull, stern. look at how it's done on other ship-drawing, in this forum.

- For the armament, I got that feeling the Thales Smart S is to powerful.

Other than that, not bad for a first try.

[Profile] [Quote]
thegrumpykestrel
Post subject: Re: Fortitude Class Patrol BoatPosted: April 14th, 2017, 11:20 am
Yeah, the hull was my biggest concern when doing it. It's really just stop gap at the moment until I figure out what. As for the bow, originally it was inverted with the foredeck sloping down to meet it, but I felt that would badly effect seakeeping so I made it more conventional and raised it a little (the gun can still just get over the front, but can't depress more than maybe 2 degrees). The bridge was a stylistic choice (I know I know, probably not the best idea), and as for SMART S, I felt the extra capability it would provide would lend itself to enhancing the boats function as part of a wider fleet in a hot war situation. Thanks for the tips

[Profile] [Quote]
Judah14
Post subject: Re: Fortitude Class Patrol BoatPosted: April 14th, 2017, 3:12 pm
I think a radar like the Thales VARIANT or the Saab Sea Giraffe AMB would be more appropriate for a patrol boat.

[Profile] [Quote]
Muscatatuck
Post subject: Re: Fortitude Class Patrol BoatPosted: April 14th, 2017, 6:41 pm
I must say that from an aesthetic stand point it is beautiful, just has the angry look of a littoral ship. :) Not sure if there is enough room for the T radar(X band navigation?) to rotate, or is there two of them one projected on each side? Is it Diesel powered, turbine, or some combination? I'm not super keen on modern armaments but, for anti air would it be feasible to mount some sort of box launcher over head like a SeaRam or (1 or 2)modified mk143 to quad pack RIM-162 and have 3 mission specific cells, or maybe even a mk48 based system tucked against the hanger sides. I don't know the radar requirements fore any of these other than SeaRam is a unitized on its own system.

[Profile] [Quote]
sebu
Post subject: Re: Fortitude Class Patrol BoatPosted: April 15th, 2017, 4:57 am
Welcome aboard! I didn't see the first version but this one is truly good looking and well balanced vessel; good work.
It's good you haven't overload this and obviously you can add some capabilities (missiles etc.) but most likely by unloading some present one.
We'll need more of these :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Fortitude Class Patrol BoatPosted: April 15th, 2017, 5:00 pm
Yeah I quite like this. The axe bow is very cool!

[Profile] [Quote]
thegrumpykestrel
Post subject: Re: Fortitude Class Patrol BoatPosted: April 18th, 2017, 11:14 am
Been busy working away on a customs variant of the Fortitude, somewhat inspired by the transformation of the Armidale class into the Cape Class. Here she is, I hope you like her...

[ img ]

Some quick tech specs

Length: 64.5m
Displacement: 640 tons
Speed: 25+ knots
Range: 3000nm at 12 knots
Complement: 32 (standard - austere accommodation for 20-30 more)

Armament: 2x M2 .50 HMG, small arms
Radar and Sensors: Bridgemaster E (X-Band and S-Band, split and projected either side of the mast), 2x Rafael Toplite (one on either side of the ship to minimise blindspots)
Boats: 2x RHIBs, 2x LCP Class Fast Landing Craft
Cranes: 12 ton FASSI Knuckleboom

Aviation capabilities have been almost entirely removed from this variant of the Fortitude class. In its place, a centralised dressing room takes the place of the hangar, allowing faster launching of boats in boarding operations. Furthermore, the helipad has been converted into spaces for two LCP Class Fast Landing Craft, which are able to operate as separate patrol vessels with a range of 200nm. Launching of these is facilitated through a 12 ton crane (launching takes some time, so LCPs are rarely used in boarding operations initiated from the ship). However, owing to the space these take up on the deck, it is rare for both craft to be carried at once. Whilst there is no longer a helipad, there is a platform on the forecastle to receive under-slung loads and winched personnel from helicopters.

Last edited by thegrumpykestrel on April 20th, 2017, 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Muscatatuck
Post subject: Re: Fortitude Class Patrol BoatPosted: April 18th, 2017, 6:35 pm
I like the looks, but I'm curious, would would the 40mm be removed, it seems very useful, that or the Hamiltons are wasting a 76mm.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Fortitude Class Patrol BoatPosted: April 19th, 2017, 1:04 am
Welcome aboard!

One thing I'll point out, the orange outline on the template should be deleted

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: