Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 15 of 16  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page « 112 13 14 15 16 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Project DXPosted: April 9th, 2017, 1:45 pm
Sometimes you find better references months after finishing a drawing, which sometimes feels good and sometimes bad :P Nothing is better though, then finding a drawing months after you finished a drawing which you completed with textual sources only, and find out you were not that far off.

This happened to me with the Fast DE (June 1964). Linked from the archive I have linked the old drawing.......
[ img ]
and the new drawing, which has already replaced the old in the first post (you might have to hard refresh if both look the same to you, I replaced the file itself)
[ img ]

I have also updated the image links in project DX to no longer use dropbox, so all should be visible again.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Project DXPosted: April 9th, 2017, 6:25 pm
Very interesting.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Project DXPosted: April 10th, 2017, 7:26 am
It's nice to see your still filling in the blanks of this project.
Your inspired guess was quite accurate, and I think in some ways it actually looks better than the real thing!

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Project DXPosted: May 25th, 2017, 10:30 pm
These drawings never got uploaded to the main site, and now many links are broken. Any chance of an upload to a different host?

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Project DXPosted: May 25th, 2017, 11:07 pm
erik_t wrote: *
These drawings never got uploaded to the main site, and now many links are broken. Any chance of an upload to a different host?
Quite a few are on the main site, maybe not all but I think most are......
That said, I fixed all links in the first post, but I am affraid I cannot be bothered to do so for the separate posts in the topic, is that ok? ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Project DXPosted: May 26th, 2017, 2:15 pm
Thanks!

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Project DXPosted: October 8th, 2017, 12:21 pm
I'm reading trough Electronic Greyhounds as we speak, and finding more and more information there over the concepts in project DX. Quite a few drawings will get a revisit based on this information, but this will go slowly..... but it will happen.

First of all, here's the chosen design that lead to the Spruance as we know it: the Litton DX proposal.
[ img ]
This design took inspiration from the European designs of the time, most notably the County class. This design had a 3 turbine powerplant, with an electrical coupling between the shafts.

The design was modified after it was approved for construction, by mirroring the powerplant (so the smoke would drift away from the masts when having the same course as the aircraft carrier during landing operations), exhaust cooling to reduce heat signature, removal of the electric coupling and addition of a fourth gas turbine and a somewhat different setup of the masts and systems on board.

I also experimented with an different underwater hull colour for the ships of this time period. Opinions on that are very welcome!

Last edited by acelanceloet on November 10th, 2018, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Project DXPosted: October 9th, 2017, 8:26 am
The original design actually looks a little better than the final outcome, to my eyes at least.

I must admit I had never thought about any similarity to the County class before, but now you mention it I guess there is quite a similarity in the layout of the superstructure block and the extended forecastle.

The new underwater hull colour looks good to me.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Project DXPosted: October 9th, 2017, 9:34 pm
Interesting as always.
Color looks good to me too.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Project DXPosted: October 9th, 2017, 10:08 pm
[ img ]
and the DXG conversion to go with the original Litton design, based on the Kidd modifications

Last edited by acelanceloet on November 10th, 2018, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 15 of 16  [ 153 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 112 13 14 15 16 »

Jump to: