Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 5  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Benson/Gleaves class destroyersPosted: May 31st, 2017, 11:33 pm
Both very nice drawings!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Benson/Gleaves class destroyersPosted: June 1st, 2017, 5:11 pm
Excellent series.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Benson/Gleaves class destroyersPosted: June 1st, 2017, 5:43 pm
Today's effort, the FARENHOLT (DD-491) as of August 1942. The camouflage is an experimental version of modified Measure 12 (proving that there was no standard variant despite what games and model kits might have you believe...)

FARENHOLT is configured similarly to LAFFEY, with exposed funnel trunking on the #2 stack, only one bank of torpedo tubes, and four 5"/38s in fully enclosed Mk.30 Mod.0 mounts. Interestingly photos of this period show FARENHOLT without the SC radar on the mast, despite the servicing platform and supports being fitted - I suspect it had been temporarily removed during repairs and then never replaced. The gun director retains its Mark 4 radar.

The camouflage looks British-influenced, but I'm not sure of its provenance. The yards and individual commanders were given great leeway in painting the ships into modified Measure 12 so anything is possible.

[ img ]

As a reminder, all BENSON class drawings are available here: http://test.shipbucket.com/drawings/sea ... rch=benson

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Benson/Gleaves class destroyersPosted: June 2nd, 2017, 8:31 am
Very nice work, doing these colour schemes can't be easy.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Benson/Gleaves class destroyersPosted: June 2nd, 2017, 12:11 pm
Very nice work!

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
adenandy
Post subject: Re: Benson/Gleaves class destroyersPosted: June 2nd, 2017, 9:09 pm
Excellent camo work Ian old boy :!:

Jolly well done sir :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Benson/Gleaves class destroyersPosted: June 6th, 2017, 8:38 pm
A few more:

First is HILARY P. JONES (DD-427) as built. The early units left the yards with tall searchlight platforms/emergency conning stations aft (which were quickly cut down once it was realized how overweight these ships were) and the traditional 5-gun 10-tube arrangement. Mounts 53 and 54 were the open base ring type. Experience in the Atlantic led to these being enclosed as soon as possible.

Note the crow's nest on the mast and the complete lack of radar. The camouflage scheme is the standard USN prewar #5 Standard Navy Grey, which I have approximated from photos - the color chips available online do not match the tone in photos at all. Stack tops are Dull Black (BK), with 96" tall shaded hull numbers on the bow for easy recognition.

Even before December 7th it was realized that four boats were excessive for these ships so the aft pair was landed along with their attendant cranes and boat booms.

[ img ]

Next is MEREDITH (DD-434) in late 1941. Like most USN fleet units at this time she is camouflaged in the Measure 1 system, with Dark Grey (5-D) and Light Grey (5-L) on all vertical surfaces. On some ships the Light Grey was painted as far down as the bottom of the Mk.37 director shield, but only MEREDITH's mast was painted in 5-L. No radar has been fitted, but a TBS antenna has been placed atop the mast.

The aft searchlight platform has already been reduced in size, and several .50-caliber machine guns have been added ahead of the pilot house along with ready-service and ammunition boxes. Mount 53 and 54 are still the open type. MEREDITH would lose Mount 53 and have Mount 54 replaced with the canvas-topped Mark 30 mount at her next refit.

[ img ]

Last up is EBERLE (DD-430) in January of 1943, as the ship appeared during Operation TORCH.

Measure 22 is one of my favorite camouflages so of course I had to draw one of the BENSON-GLEAVES units with it. ;) Note the Deck Blue (20-B) on the turret tops and the canvas roof of Mount 53.

[ img ]

This completes the BENSON-GLEAVES units I plan to draw.

All BENSON drawings: http://test.shipbucket.com/drawings/sea ... ate=&view=

All GLEAVES drawings: http://test.shipbucket.com/drawings/sea ... ate=&view=

All USN destroyer drawings: http://test.shipbucket.com/drawings?cat ... shipType=1

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Benson/Gleaves class destroyersPosted: June 6th, 2017, 9:10 pm
Simply excellent

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Benson/Gleaves class destroyersPosted: June 6th, 2017, 10:31 pm
Excellent additions!

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Benson/Gleaves class destroyersPosted: June 7th, 2017, 8:03 am
*Wipes tear* I can't believe it's over...say it ain't so, Colo! *Sigh* Ah well, that just means we can now look forward to another great odyssey from you! Can't wait to see where your artistic mastermind turns next!

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 5  [ 49 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: