Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
David Latuch
Post subject: USS New Mexico-Class RebootPosted: June 29th, 2017, 12:54 pm
Continuing my rebooting of old Majhost files, here is the USS New Mexico –Class Standard Battleships.

The USS New Mexico BB-40 was the lead ship in the New Mexico class first of the standard-type battleship concept of the U.S. Navy, a design concept which gave the Navy a homogeneous line of battle (it allowed planning maneuvers for the whole line of battle rather than detaching "fast" and "slow" wings). The standard-type battleship concept included long-range gunnery, moderate speed of 21 knots (39 km/h; 24 mph), a tight tactical radius of 700 yards (640 m) and improved damage control. The other standard-type battleships were the Nevada, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, and Colorado classes.

All three of the New Mexico-class battleships of the United States Navy were improvements on the design introduced three years earlier with the Nevada class. , their construction began in 1915; they were launched in 1917 and commissioned in 1917, 1918 and 1919.

The twelve-gun main battery of the preceding Pennsylvania class was retained, but with longer 14-inch (356 mm)/50 caliber guns in improved triple turrets. Hull design was also upgraded with a 'clipper' bow for better seakeeping and a sleeker look. One ship, New Mexico, was fitted with turbo-electric propulsion.
Though eight secondary battery guns were located in extremely wet bow and stern positions and were soon removed, the rest of the ships' 5-inch (127 mm)/51 caliber guns were mounted in the superstructure, a great improvement over earlier U.S. Navy battleships' arrangements.
General characteristics

Displacement: Standard: 32,000 long tons (32,514 t)
Length: 600 ft (180 m) pp 624 ft (190 m) oa
Beam: 97 ft 5 in (29.69 m)
Draft: 30 ft (9 m)

Installed power:
New Mexico: 27,500 hp (20,500 kW)
Mississippi and Idaho: 32,000 hp (24,000 kW)

Propulsion:
New Mexico: 4 × electric drive turbines
Mississippi and Idaho: 4 × geared turbines
All: 4 × screws

Speed: 21 kn (24 mph; 39 km/h)
Range: 8,000 nmi (15,000 km; 9,200 mi) @ 10 kn (19 km/h; 12 mph)

Armament:
12 × 14 in (356 mm)/50 cal guns (4×3)
22 × 5 in (127 mm)/51 cal guns (soon reduced to 14 × 5 inch/51 caliber guns.)
2 × Mark 15 21 in (533 mm) torpedo tubes

Armor:
Belt: 8–13.5 in (203–343 mm)
Barbettes: 13 in (330 mm)
Turret face: 18 in (457 mm)
Turret sides: 9–10 in (229–254 mm)
Turret top: 5 in (127 mm)
Turret rear 9 in (229 mm)
Conning tower: 11.5 in (292 mm)
Decks: 3.5 in (89 mm)

When modernized in the 1930s, two more 5-inch/51 caliber guns were removed and 5 in (127 mm)/25 caliber guns anti-aircraft guns were added.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexic ... battleship)

USS New Mexico (BB-40)
As Commissioned (1918)

[ img ]

USS New Mexico (BB-40)
(1920)

Notice the flying off platform on no.2 turret.

[ img ]

USS New Mexico (BB-40)
(1921)

Note
The addition of declination marks on turret no.2 and no.3.1
The searchlight and control platforms were raised, the control platforms redesigned. Also notice the bridge platforms have been removed.

[ img ]

USS New Mexico (BB-40)
(1921)

The aft floatplane catapult and rudimentary gaff crane have been installed.

[ img ]

USS New Mexico (BB-40)
(1936)

The New Mexico has been refit to include:
Replacement of the both lattice mast with more modern solid tower masts.
The installation of Mk33 and Mk31 fire control directors.
The 5in/51cal open mounts on the 01 level were removed.
Replacement of the four 3in/50cal guns with eight 5in/25cal guns.
The addition of the turret no.3 floatplane catapult, and a more robust aircraft crane on the stern.
As well as various Browning .50cal machine guns.

[ img ]

USS New Mexico (BB-40)
(1941)

Measure12
The installation of one SK and two SG radars along with MK18 radars to the MK33 and MK3 radars to the Mk31 directors
Splinter shields were added to protect the 5in./25cal guns.
Four 1.1in (Chicago Pianos) were added two alongside the foremast and two in the after mast, as well as several 20mm/70cal Oerikons

[ img ]

USS New Mexico (BB-40)
(1944)

Measure 21
The replacement of the 16 quad 1.1in guns with 40 Bofors 40mm guns
Midships 20mm Anti-Aircraft platforms added
The addition of several 20mm guns, three in the bows along with several 20mms along the sides and aft.

[ img ]

Last edited by David Latuch on August 16th, 2017, 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico-Class RebootPosted: June 29th, 2017, 2:37 pm
Absolutely excellent! Definitely my favorite aesthetically of all non-fast battleships.

The turret train markings on the 1920 version are superbly executed.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico-Class RebootPosted: June 29th, 2017, 3:21 pm
David :roll:
Majors mistakes on both 1941/1942 drawings with their light AA guns suit...
David Latuch wrote:
USS New Mexico BB-40 (1941)
David
Your entire light AA guns suit is wrong (quadruple bofor unavalaible in 1941 :roll: )
Through 1941 this ship carry only few 0,5" MG
First 20mm carried by late 1941/early 1942

David Latuch wrote:
USS New Mexico BB-40 (1942 with Measure 32 Design 6D Camouflage)
This camo were unlikely by 1942
In 1942 this ship carry only few quadruple 28mm & a dozen of single 20mm oerlikons

You need to completely re-check the AA suit :roll:

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico-Class RebootPosted: June 29th, 2017, 7:11 pm
AWESOME job!!!

And we can always count on Mike for his ever-positive comments, I see. :roll:

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico-Class RebootPosted: June 29th, 2017, 7:37 pm
On the surface these are very cool to look at - any rendition of the Standard type BBs in our format should inspire the typical "awesome work" comments. ;)

Sadly these are quite deficient in details. As Colombamike notes, the AA fit is very far off the mark (probably the most glaring defect) - but there are also issues with the radar fit and the general arrangement of the masts (they look to be straight traced from plans with no real understanding of what's being shown).

The plan view also seems too wide to me - almost as if the original source drawing wasn't correctly scaled to a beam measurement. I overlaid the views of the NEW MEXICO as modernized available in Friedman's Battleships and something is just "off" about these drawings. The plan views are definitely too wide and the outboard profile is also off in dimensions. I suspect this is due to an inaccurate original source drawing when these BBs were first drawn.

[ img ]

So sadly I think these need a little more work - sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :(

For what it's worth, the fully enclosed Mark 33 directors are available on my usual USN sheet, scaled and drawn from BuOrd diagrams. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico-Class RebootPosted: June 29th, 2017, 7:45 pm
Colosseum wrote: *
On the surface these are very cool to look at - any rendition of the Standard type BBs in our format should inspire the typical "awesome work" comments. ;)

Sadly these are quite deficient in details. As Colombamike notes, the AA fit is very far off the mark (probably the most glaring defect) - but there are also issues with the radar fit and the general arrangement of the masts (they look to be straight traced from plans with no real understanding of what's being shown).

The plan view also seems too wide to me - almost as if the original source drawing wasn't correctly scaled to a beam measurement. I overlaid the views of the NEW MEXICO as modernized available in Friedman's Battleships and something is just "off" about these drawings. The plan views are definitely too wide and the outboard profile is also off in dimensions. I suspect this is due to an inaccurate original source drawing when these BBs were first drawn.

[ img ]

So sadly I think these need a little more work - sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :(

For what it's worth, the fully enclosed Mark 33 directors are available on my usual USN sheet, scaled and drawn from BuOrd diagrams. ;)
Oh well . . . it's back to the drawing board for me and New Mexico.

I was very suspicious of the drawing, Also the only reference for the fore and after superstructures where of New Mexico in 1944. :oops:

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico-Class RebootPosted: June 29th, 2017, 7:52 pm
Give me some time and I can send you a zip file with a lot of good reference material, as well as the full scans of the drawings in Friedman's. Short of using the expensive plans designed for modelling from Floating Drydock, the drawings in Friedman are impeccable. Colombamike also has access to a wide array of sources and can probably provide you with some good stuff as well.

It's not your fault the original was poorly scaled!!!

[Profile] [Quote]
Tobius
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico-Class RebootPosted: June 29th, 2017, 8:13 pm
Poorly scaled or not and with AAA and sensor errors, it is an extremely good attempt for what it is. I wish I was a quarter as good.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico-Class RebootPosted: June 30th, 2017, 1:42 pm
I have some drawings here that might help you with the early versions of the New Mexico.

1918:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d1c37pjcjj72j ... 8.png?dl=0

1921:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/145gwzlbq11xw ... 1.png?dl=0

1927:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dp3eiwr1rycdu ... 7.png?dl=0

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: USS New Mexico-Class RebootPosted: August 16th, 2017, 6:12 pm
Hi again I'm back,

After a month researching and redrawing I have re posted my drawings at the beginning of the thread.

Comments, criticisms and corrections welcome.

Fire away Colombamike! ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: