Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
Colosseum
Post subject: St Louis class cruisersPosted: July 17th, 2017, 8:37 pm
Another one I've always wanted to do, especially after reading about the early battles so much recently.

[ img ]

This is HELENA (CL-50) as lost at the Battle of Kula Gulf on 6 July 1943. HELENA is camouflaged in the overall Navy Blue (5-N) of Measure 21.

CL-50 shows a typical mid-war electronics fit for a USN cruiser, with Mark 4 "FD" radars on the ship's Mark 33 directors, and Mark 3 Mod.1 "FC" antennas on the Mark 34 directors. HELENA's foremast mounts an SC air search antenna and an SG surface search radar below it. Waveguide losses with the early SG installations meant that they had to be placed close to the radar plot room, hence the SG's less than advantageous position. Once these issues were solved, the radar antenna could be relocated to the top mast as on almost all later combatants.

Two Curtiss SOC-3 Seagull floatplanes of Cruiser Scouting Squadron NINE (VCS-9) are spotted on the stern catapults. These aircraft are camouflaged in the early wartime two-tone scheme of NS Blue Gray on the wings and upper fuselage with NS Light Gray on the undersides.

HELENA was lost in this configuration after the ship was hit by three Japanese torpedoes during the Battle of Kula Gulf, with 186 men killed in action.

---

[ img ]

This is ST. LOUIS (CL-49) in October 1944, after a refit period in California. She is camouflaged in Measure 32/2C.

ST. LOUIS was refitted in late 1943 along the same lines as the BROOKLYN class cruisers, with a cut-down bridge and heavy masts to support radar. Overhaul in 1944 added the SK-2 air search radar with its distinctive circular reflector on the foremast, with SG sets at the top masts. No radar has been fitted to the mainmast, though it has been readied to receive a second air search set (likely the new SP or SM height finder). The highly successful Mark 8 "FH" radar has been mounted on the Mark 34 directors for the 6" guns, with Mark 24 radar on the Mark 33 dual-purpose directors. An SOC Seagull of Cruiser Scouting Squadron NINE (VCS-9) Detachment B is spotted on the aft catapult.

ST. LOUIS would end the war in this configuration, going on to serve in the Brazilian Navy as ALMIRANTE TAMANDARE (C-12), where the ship served as the fleet flagship until 1976.

---

All ST LOUIS class cruiser drawings available here: http://shipbucket.com/drawings/search?c ... =&drawing=

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: St Louis class cruisersPosted: July 17th, 2017, 8:48 pm
Beautiful as usual. Can you explain what's going on with what appears to be a lower strake of armor below the #2 and #3 6" turrets?

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: St Louis class cruisersPosted: July 17th, 2017, 9:25 pm
I'm fairly sure it's an extension of the armor belt along the forward magazines - but I'm not sure why it doesn't cover the #1 turret's base as well. ;) My usual sources are blank on this. I'll dig around and figure out a detailed answer - the plans I used showed it, and I confirmed it from that photo, but didn't dig very far into it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: St Louis class cruisersPosted: July 17th, 2017, 9:37 pm
Colosseum wrote: *
It's an extension of the armor belt along the forward magazines - but I'm not sure why it doesn't cover the #1 turret's base as well. ;)
Maybe it does cover #1 turret's base, but your image is shortened due to the camera's angle, enclosed is USN St. Louis herself at drydock [ img ]. As can be seen at the bottom right the armor belt just reaches below the gun barrels of #1 turret
I love the drawing, and I do hope to see more of the class, including the pre-war versions (this also includes the 1940 version after the King's comity on AA of USN ships)

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: St Louis class cruisersPosted: July 17th, 2017, 9:44 pm
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: St Louis class cruisersPosted: July 17th, 2017, 9:50 pm
Novice wrote: *
Colosseum wrote: *
It's an extension of the armor belt along the forward magazines - but I'm not sure why it doesn't cover the #1 turret's base as well. ;)
Maybe it does cover #1 turret's base, but your image is shortened due to the camera's angle, enclosed is USN St. Louis herself at drydock. As can be seen at the bottom right the armor belt just reaches below the gun barrels of #1 turret
I love the drawing, and I do hope to see more of the class, including the pre-war versions (this also includes the 1940 version after the King's comity on AA of USN ships)
I think the photographic evidence is actually fairly compelling that this is the case. Compare the porthole configuration, from the bow, o_____o____o_o____o. The armor strake starts approximately under this fifth porthole.

In this photo,
http://www.navsource.org/archives/04/050/0405005.jpg
that fifth porthole appears to be directly under the forward edge of the #1 6" turret.

EDIT: boss walked into my office and I got double-sniped by you jerks! :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: St Louis class cruisersPosted: July 17th, 2017, 9:55 pm
Interesting, you (Colombamike) didn't send that one to me with all the other references! :P

Belt length fixed on the drawing (interesting that the original series of plans I based my work on did not show this correctly).

Thanks for the input.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: St Louis class cruisersPosted: July 17th, 2017, 11:12 pm
BEAUTIFUL work!!!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: St Louis class cruisersPosted: July 17th, 2017, 11:44 pm
This one ship, CL-50, shows the amount of work that goes on behind the scenes before the drawing gets anywhere near Shipbucket. The search for drawings and photos to pick up on all the detailing. Then you have to decide just how much of the detailing can be shown on an SB drawing without going overboard.

Nice work Ian, and all those who helped by supplying the extra resources that made the drawing possible.

[Profile] [Quote]
John_McCarthy1
Post subject: Re: St Louis class cruisersPosted: July 18th, 2017, 6:23 am
The loading Crew on the USS Helena really went in on it in the Battle of Kula Gulf. I can't remember the source (i'll find it later) but the Japanese destroyer crews report was something along the lines of thinking the Americans were firing machine guns at them

Suggestions Welcomed

Currently working on:
Heavy Cruiser Proposal CA-B: ~80% done.
Heavy Cruiser Proposal CA-C: ~5-10% done.
Heavy/Large Cruiser Proposal CA2-D: ~35% done.
FD Scale P-51A Dazzle Camo Livery: ~5-10% done.
Getting better: Always being worked on.

Finished:
FD Scale P-51D's Dazzle Camo Livery (might be redone)
FD Scale P-51D's German Captured Livery

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 28 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: