Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 32 of 33  [ 325 posts ]  Go to page « 129 30 31 32 33 »
Tobius
Post subject: Re: Republic of VenezuelaPosted: August 30th, 2017, 2:40 pm
Great work.

Why so much Swedish and Finnish equipment? That stuff actually does not do well near the equator unless specially tropicalized.

Also, any plans to include the BuK in the SAM lineup? That missile is deadly.

[Profile] [Quote]
KIKE92
Post subject: Re: Republic of VenezuelaPosted: August 30th, 2017, 3:07 pm
Tobius wrote: *
Great work.

Why so much Swedish and Finnish equipment? That stuff actually does not do well near the equator unless specially tropicalized.

Also, any plans to include the BuK in the SAM lineup? That missile is deadly.
Thanks Tobius,

From what i have read this two are among the best vehicles in their classes and i wanted something European that could replace older vehicles in service like the V100/150 series, TPz Fuchs, Dragoon AFV aswell as all the russian stuff like the BTR-80 and the BMP-3. Im making changes to this AU basically Venezuela gets closer to Europe that would explain the amount of European equipment including aircraft.

BTW what would be required to tropicalize this vehicles?

The SAMs are something that im still trying to work out because in Real life Venezuela has the S-300VM Antey 2500, the Buk M2E & the S-125 Pechora-2M while in this AU the army air defence brigades operate the Tor system while the armoured brigades are equiped with a few Pantsyrs and the Heavy air defence which is shared between the different branches will probably be equiped with a mix of S300s and Buk M2E.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Republic of VenezuelaPosted: August 30th, 2017, 3:32 pm
I have never heard that Swedish and Finnish equipment have problem in tropical areas.

we use heaters in our equipment here in Norway, some of them have aircondition, if not most of them... and that applies the other way to.

We in Norway have a saying, if you know how to protect yourself in -50C then you have no problem in + 50C

[Profile] [Quote]
KIKE92
Post subject: Re: Republic of VenezuelaPosted: August 30th, 2017, 4:33 pm
To be honest i never heard they had problems with tropical enviroments either, heuhen how do you think they would perform in an enviroment like Venezuela. Another thing can the CV90 be equiped with ATGMs?

[Profile] [Quote]
Tobius
Post subject: Re: Republic of VenezuelaPosted: August 30th, 2017, 4:46 pm
You have used them in the tropics, Heuhen? Fungus among us. There are parasites and microbes specific to central America that eat temperate/arctic gear electronics like crazy-especially missile avionics and radars.

Do not expect it to work too well in the SW Pacific, either, unless tropicalized. (Vietnam)

Do not know about Africa, below the Sahara.

==============================

Tropicalizing, KK, calls for some microbe resistant materials substitution and some wetproofing the electronics and elastomer mechanical parts; KK. Also different thermal expansion regime has to be accounted in maintenance. Nothing wrong with the gear that such fluff explanation won't solve, but like "Americanized" NSM for example, it will be expensive. No COTS without it.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Republic of VenezuelaPosted: August 30th, 2017, 5:02 pm
I am no expert, but what I do know:

- to avoid problems with gears etc. you need to use correct type of oil (for example, you do not want to use the same type of fuel that we use in North Norway, in hot climate, we have to change the fuel-mapping on our cars compared to other places in the world)

- That parasites eat up radar electronics like crazy, is stupid. That would apply to every type of electronic in the world, whatever where they come from.

Norway have had military vessel operating long the Somalian coastline and up to Saudi Arabia, with no problem, all they needed was a upgraded Aircondition. we have also sold vessels to African countries and no of them have had problems.

Fungus is everywhere, we have also fungus here in Norway, Fungus that love cold climate. What we do to solve that problem, is that we do something called: "maintenance"

NSM that the american are looking at, aren't modified at all even for the american marked, due to that it doesn't need that. JSM is an NSM in a new and sleeker body, with upgraded program/flight plan, to work with aircraft, the same will happen to the submarine version.

And even when you order new CV90 from Sweden, they will be build for that climate (hot and wet climate)

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Republic of VenezuelaPosted: August 30th, 2017, 6:50 pm
Nice sheets. :)
Few remarks: they could be made less sizeable if instead of inserting every battalion (of a brigade) or ship (of a squadron) separately, You just mention those units that "repeat themselves" within single unit several times with appropriate quantifier - for example, in the artillery brigade it could be:
- Artillery Bn (4x)
- MRL Bn (2x)
Also, in the Army sheet that "personnel" part is somewhat confusing as mostly You just merely give there an amount of personnel that are crews of its main equipment, but any battalion has also lots of other personnel (in fact, usually much more than the crews of it's main weapons).
In the Air Force Jurisdiction sheet the "Support Command" column is unnecessary - only the air regions and air bases belong to it, but graphically it looks like if the flying squadrons belonged to it as well.

[Profile] [Quote]
KIKE92
Post subject: Re: Republic of VenezuelaPosted: August 30th, 2017, 7:19 pm
eswube wrote: *
Nice sheets. :)
Few remarks: they could be made less sizeable if instead of inserting every battalion (of a brigade) or ship (of a squadron) separately, You just mention those units that "repeat themselves" within single unit several times with appropriate quantifier - for example, in the artillery brigade it could be:
- Artillery Bn (4x)
- MRL Bn (2x)
Also, in the Army sheet that "personnel" part is somewhat confusing as mostly You just merely give there an amount of personnel that are crews of its main equipment, but any battalion has also lots of other personnel (in fact, usually much more than the crews of it's main weapons).
In the Air Force Jurisdiction sheet the "Support Command" column is unnecessary - only the air regions and air bases belong to it, but graphically it looks like if the flying squadrons belonged to it as well.
Thanks eswube¡¡

I agree with you i have to trim this bible down, in the air force case i just wanted to name particular squadrons thats why i kept everything, the problem with personnel is i dont know how many people are required apart from the crew itself. Where can i find information about it?

The support command column is going to disappear i literally transferred the entire PDF into excel. :roll:

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Republic of VenezuelaPosted: August 30th, 2017, 7:34 pm
KIKE92 wrote: *
the problem with personnel is i dont know how many people are required apart from the crew itself. Where can i find information about it?
Unfortunately there is no simple answer to that. As a rule of thumb, companies have usually 100-200 personnel, battalions several hundred (400-800), brigades several thousand and divisions usually between 10 and 20 thousand, but specific numbers depend on specific example - what kind of unit, what kind of equipment (not only that "main" but also all the support stuff like trucks etc.), how are staffs and support services organized (for example US Army tends to have fairly sizeable HQ units and rather extensive maintenance elements already on battalion level, while Soviet Army and now Russian Army preferred to have the low-level staffs rather small and maintenance units mostly concentrated on regiment or even division level) etc. I can try to think of some personnel numbers to use there, but You'd have to give me few days, and even then these numbers would be quite arbitrary. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
KIKE92
Post subject: Re: Republic of VenezuelaPosted: August 30th, 2017, 7:42 pm
Maybe i could take a look at the organization charts available here on the forum and that could provide an estimate of the numbers. Don't worry im not in a rush i still have to modify the sheets and also finish the remaining sheets (Marine corp, National guard, etc). Anyway thanks for your help that Orbat has been incredibly useful.

Question: how does the french navy train its pilots for carrier operations, do they send them to the US?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 32 of 33  [ 325 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 129 30 31 32 33 »

Jump to: