Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
waterwings
Post subject: L12 - HMS OceanPosted: September 12th, 2017, 8:56 pm
The current UK flagship, OCEAN has just been sent to the Caribbean to help with the post-hurricane recovery work. I believe it's her last trip before she's decommissioned and is sold to Brazil. Luckily the amphibious capability she provides will be ably covered by ... er ... well, PRINCE OF WALES will eventually be complete ready to assume her duties, in 2023. Although she was built to commercial standards and therefore had a relatively short lifespan for a warship, OCEAN's contributions to UK operations have been considerable, and her loss will undoubtedly be felt.

[ img ]

I haven't added any aircraft at the moment and there are various things I think need polishing, but here's a first draft. I've also not been able to find the templates on the new site (very likely I haven't been looking hard enough), so I've modified another drawing's for now. Comments appreciated!

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: L12 - HMS OceanPosted: September 12th, 2017, 9:20 pm
The templates are not on the site, so you can find them on http://www.old.shipbucket.com/images.ph ... /Templates

I only wonder why you have not used the LCVP Mk 5 landing craft drawn to specifications back when HMS bulwark was drawn, http://www.shipbucket.com/drawings/1299/file (they were also posted as parts at the time, no credits needed, but the ones on the template were easier to find then the part sheeted ones :P)

I am also not a huge fan of how you did the hull shading, especially how some continue above the waterline and some don't. The shading in general seems to have way more contrast then I would have done (this ship is quite flat in places, she is allowed look that way in your drawing too :P)

[Profile] [Quote]
Mist
Post subject: Re: L12 - HMS OceanPosted: September 13th, 2017, 12:56 am
Your Artisan radar is still too oval

[Profile] [Quote]
superboy
Post subject: Re: L12 - HMS OceanPosted: September 13th, 2017, 1:43 am
New DS-3OMR, old version the barrel was not straight (my bad) :D

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: L12 - HMS OceanPosted: September 13th, 2017, 8:06 am
I would say its a very good effort and isn't far from complete.

I agree the hull shading is odd, less is always more in most cases and I think the lighter shade should just be the normal hull grey.

There should be an EAD anti-torpedo decoy on the deck ahead of the funnel (located roughly in the centre) along with a couple of Outfit DLH(2) Seagnat decoy launchers.

An Artisan can be found on the parts sheet here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=65

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: L12 - HMS OceanPosted: September 13th, 2017, 1:29 pm
I'll be a stick in the mud - I mostly like the hull shading! I like how the darker shades show how Ocean is very ship-shaped at the waterline, but very building-shaped a short distance higher. At first glance the brighter shade at the waterline seemed odd, but this image (wiki) actually seems to show a slight tumblehome in this region.

In any case, a fine effort overall.

[Profile] [Quote]
waterwings
Post subject: Re: L12 - HMS OceanPosted: September 13th, 2017, 9:23 pm
Thanks for your comments!

I was trying to show the change in angle with the hull shading but frustratingly it only shows up in a few photos!

[ img ]

Anyway, with the hull shaded regular grey it looks more normal, and I've updated it following your suggestions.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: L12 - HMS OceanPosted: September 13th, 2017, 9:28 pm
It really looks great (both ways, but I prefer the newer version). Nice work!

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: L12 - HMS OceanPosted: September 13th, 2017, 9:46 pm
Looking much better indeed, and I think it might be worth it to even show a bit of that shape near the waterline, as Erik pointed out it is quite an interesting shape that might be shown (I wonder however how it is shaped below the waterline, there seem to be quite some knuckles in it :S) but instead of entirely removing the shading for this part, I would tone down it some more if this was my own drawing. subtlety can be the key to shading, and I often go only 5-10% darker on the shading instead of the very dark shades you used for the overhanging parts.

I am still somewhat annoyed by the presence of those LCVP drawings though :(

[Profile] [Quote]
waterwings
Post subject: Re: L12 - HMS OceanPosted: September 13th, 2017, 10:13 pm
acelanceloet wrote: *
I am still somewhat annoyed by the presence of those LCVP drawings though :(
Haha sorry Ace, I was looking for the the blank background for the LCVP opening. Needed a bit of manipulation to get the davits in the right place. I've changed the colours on the LCVP, I hope that's okay!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: