Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 4  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 »
21kamando
Post subject: CG-45 Avalon-class CruiserPosted: September 27th, 2017, 8:33 am
Hey guys, so this is just rough outline of my first design. I'm still working on placement and spacing but I think its got enough detail in it now for a general idea of what I'm going for.

[ img ]

So for details on this little diamond in the rough. This is for a RP I am doing on the 10K Islands RP forum from nationstates (I go by Surdra if any of you stop by). It is intended to fill the classic cruiser role as well as being a multi-mission surface warship. It is heavy inspired by the strike cruiser concept along with the Ticonderoga-class cruiser, Arleigh Burke-class, and Atago-class destroyers. The first ship is to be designed and first built in the early 80's and by the time the RP starts in 1990 the class is about halfway through being built.

The idea was for the ship to be is somewhere around 750 feet in overall length and 75 feet in beam. Most likely they will be powered by gas turbine, with a range of at least 6,500 nmi of range with the ability to keep up with CVNs. It is of course going to have the SPY-1 and Aegis system, with the goal of having at least 188 missiles in its Mk 41 VLS. As other weapons go I plan on stuffing as many quad harpoon launchers as I can fit in the midships and on the bow, and I'm currently debating if I'll use the standard Mk 71 5 inch or the Mk 75 8 inch (or a custom version) for the guns. Lastly I plan on including aviation facilities for two SH-60B Seahawks while having a pad large enough to safely land a CH-46 Sea Knight and CH-53 Sea Stallion.

Anyways, I would love to hear any advice or suggestions you guys have.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: CG-45 Avalon-class CruiserPosted: September 27th, 2017, 8:41 am
Looking good! check out the CGBL concept http://www.shipbucket.com/drawings/4766 it might help you out a bit.
She looks a bit high above the waterline, but not outlandishly so, just keep an eye on what needs to be heightened and what not ;)
keep going forward, I am curious for the end result.

[Profile] [Quote]
Kannevets
Post subject: Re: CG-45 Avalon-class CruiserPosted: September 27th, 2017, 12:20 pm
This thing looks mean, and it's still just a bunch of red lines! Keep it up!

All my newer stuff is signed as czslworldtour.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: CG-45 Avalon-class CruiserPosted: September 28th, 2017, 2:50 am
It looks (and sounds) promising, and much better thought out than your usual NationStates/DeviantArt stuff. ;) Looking forward to seeing the rest.

If ace says it's "looking good", then you're probably on the right track. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
21kamando
Post subject: Re: CG-45 Avalon-class CruiserPosted: September 28th, 2017, 7:34 am
acelanceloet wrote: *
Looking good! check out the CGBL concept http://www.shipbucket.com/drawings/4766 it might help you out a bit.
She looks a bit high above the waterline, but not outlandishly so, just keep an eye on what needs to be heightened and what not ;)
keep going forward, I am curious for the end result.
Thank you for the link, I see what you mean about it riding too high. I'll play with the draft in the next version.

Colosseum wrote: *
It looks (and sounds) promising, and much better thought out than your usual NationStates/DeviantArt stuff. ;) Looking forward to seeing the rest.

If ace says it's "looking good", then you're probably on the right track. ;)

Thank you too, I try my best in keeping my creations grounded in reality, more interesting that way i think.

[ img ]

So I did some work and the fore and aft superstructure. Not sure how I feel about it, part of me gets the feeling that they are too tall. I've also started working on the placement of the major systems. Part of my plan is to mirror how that in real life the Ticonderoga-class built the first five ships with the Mk-26 dual arm launcher and then starting with Bunker Hill the rest of the Mk-41. And don't worry, I only added the CH-46 and CH-53 to see i the landing pad was big enough to support them (I know I could have just counted the pixels but I'm a visual person). Plan is that in the next version I will start coloring everything in and adding the finer details.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: CG-45 Avalon-class CruiserPosted: September 28th, 2017, 3:04 pm
one way to lower the height, is to lower the CIWS 1 deck down, it systems should have space between those two hangar (just like on Oliver Hazard Perry class), thus you can lower the entire superstructure 1 deck.

It's easier to show! you also need more funnels for the engine:

This is just a Suggestion drawing:
[ img ]

Note you should start consider adding you'r own credit to the drawing.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: CG-45 Avalon-class CruiserPosted: September 28th, 2017, 3:09 pm
So should you - that's nearly a finished drawing and needs to be credited either way. ;)

Moving this to the Personal Designs forum as this does not belong in Beginners.

[Profile] [Quote]
RipSteakface
Post subject: Re: CG-45 Avalon-class CruiserPosted: September 28th, 2017, 3:31 pm
This looks very nice already!

[Profile] [Quote]
21kamando
Post subject: Re: CG-45 Avalon-class CruiserPosted: September 28th, 2017, 7:22 pm
heuhen wrote: *
one way to lower the height, is to lower the CIWS 1 deck down, it systems should have space between those two hangar (just like on Oliver Hazard Perry class), thus you can lower the entire superstructure 1 deck.

It's easier to show! you also need more funnels for the engine:

This is just a Suggestion drawing:

Note you should start consider adding you'r own credit to the drawing.
I see what you mean, thank you for the suggestion. As for the funnels, I was going to actually have two of them side by side but now seeing them in line i like it much better that way so thanks again! :D
Colosseum wrote: *
So should you - that's nearly a finished drawing and needs to be credited either way. ;)

Moving this to the Personal Designs forum as this does not belong in Beginners.
Will do and I take that as a complement sir :D

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: CG-45 Avalon-class CruiserPosted: September 28th, 2017, 7:27 pm
Certainly a promising start. I think you're over-optimistic about that helipad fitting a CH-46/47 or an H-53, though. I think Type 45 is designed to be Chinook-capable, so I'd probably treat the latter's flight deck as pretty near the absolute minimum size required.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 4  [ 34 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: