Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ] 
Graham1973
Post subject: Esoteric question related to Aircraft CarriersPosted: December 4th, 2017, 5:25 am
I have been reading a novel from 1966 which features an unnamed US Aircraft carrier about to launch 90 fighter-bombers from a 4.5 acre (18210.9 square meters) angled flight deck, I am wondering if there is a rule-of-thumb that can be used to calculate the other dimensions of the carrier (Length/Width) from the flight deck area, I'd like to try and compare it both to US carriers of the period and later carriers.

[Profile] [Quote]
deankal55
Post subject: Re: Esoteric question related to Aircraft CarriersPosted: December 4th, 2017, 2:23 pm
90 aircraft would be about the size of the air wing of the Forrestal and later class ships in the late 1960s and 1970s. Of course not all of the aircraft would be fighter bombers.

[Profile] [Quote]
Graham1973
Post subject: Re: Esoteric question related to Aircraft CarriersPosted: December 6th, 2017, 12:12 pm
deankal55 wrote: *
90 aircraft would be about the size of the air wing of the Forrestal and later class ships in the late 1960s and 1970s. Of course not all of the aircraft would be fighter bombers.
Thanks, I had worked that bit out already, but I was hoping to work out the rough dimensions of the carrier, as that would make for an easier size comparison than the estimated airgroup.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Esoteric question related to Aircraft CarriersPosted: December 6th, 2017, 3:12 pm
Graham1973 wrote: *
Thanks, I had worked that bit out already, but I was hoping to work out the rough dimensions of the carrier, as that would make for an easier size comparison than the estimated airgroup.

it's hard to find out what the X-length and Y-beam are from areal you need a second number to help you on that, but you can compare deck areal of other carriere and get an idea.

Lenght * beam = Areal
X * Y = XY

if you know the beam or the length then it's all about dividing the areal on the length or beam

XY / X = Y
XY / Y = X

[Profile] [Quote]
Graham1973
Post subject: Re: Esoteric question related to Aircraft CarriersPosted: December 10th, 2017, 2:40 am
heuhen wrote: *
Graham1973 wrote: *

it's hard to find out what the X-length and Y-beam are from areal you need a second number to help you on that, but you can compare deck areal of other carriere and get an idea.

Lenght * beam = Areal
X * Y = XY

if you know the beam or the length then it's all about dividing the areal on the length or beam

XY / X = Y
XY / Y = X
Thanks for that information, I will try that out.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic”

Jump to: