Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ] 
TigerHunter1945
Post subject: Personal Design-Modified Admiral HipperPosted: January 10th, 2018, 1:50 pm
In 1935 with rise of Adolf Hitler and his program of Germany rearmament,Germany plan to rebuild its navy and built modern ships that will be capable to counter French and Royal Navy counterpart,after launch of Panzerschiffe and its subclass,Kriegsmarine need a heavy cruiser that will capable to counter Royal Navy County class cruiser.Kriegsmarine submitted request to Blohm und Voss and Wilhelmshaven to design a heavy cruiser with minimum belt armour of 100mm,Range of 7000nm,armed with new 128mm Dual Purpose gun and heavy armament of new 234 mm SK C/35 in dual mounting that will be built by Krupp.Wilhemshaven submitted a 14.000 t cruiser with 120mm belt armour and 70mm deck armour powered by hybrid of diesel-steam turbine engine.Blohm und Voss design was rejected while OKM decide to adopt Blohm und Voss design that powered only by steam turbine but better protected with 155mm of belt armour and 100mm of deck armour.Admiral Hipper ordered as "H" was laid down on 6 July 1935 and launch on 6 February 1937 and fitting out work was completed two years later in April 1939; the ship was commissioned into the Kriegsmarine on 29 April 1939.

[ img ]
Admiral Hipper as she appeared in 1939

In May 1940, the ship returned to the Blohm & Voss dockyard for modifications; these included the replacement of the straight stem with a clipper bow and the installation of the funnel cap

[ img ]
Admiral Hipper as she appeared in January 1942 in Hamburg for personnel training

Any comments and criticism are very welcome.

Last edited by TigerHunter1945 on January 12th, 2018, 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Personal Design-Modified Admiral HipperPosted: January 10th, 2018, 8:10 pm
I'll leave comments and criticism about the design itself to the others and will only remark that I think You ought to check the credits because:
a) proper format is to mention all authors in one line (and in just one pair of brackets),
b) most importantly, Admiral Hipper was NOT drawn by Garlicdesign. :P
(at least the real-life ship of that name, as indeed Garlicdesign did made a drawing of AU ship of that name for his Thiaria universe, but this ship bears no resemblance to Yours ;) )

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Personal Design-Modified Admiral HipperPosted: January 10th, 2018, 8:31 pm
To be completely fair, Garlicdesign did draw an Hipper, the never-built Seydlitz:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6351&hilit=seydlitz

The different superstructure most likely comes from some other drawing of the class, made by DG-Alpha, or some other German ship drawn by DG himself or Maomatic. I cannot say which one though because of the dropbox/photobucket apocalypse however.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Personal Design-Modified Admiral HipperPosted: January 10th, 2018, 11:15 pm
Yes Tiger1945 has grabbed bits and pieces and ideas from all sorts of different places.

Those main turrets are exact copies from the triple 8.2" I did for Prinz Eugen for my DP Kriegsmarine series. The Germans never produced a 234mm/9.2" that was a British gun size. The German gun was a 240mm/9.4".

He has done a reasonable job of putting everything together but a bit more attention to detail would make the drawings much better. (missing fore jackstaff and after jackstaff stand out) missing shipbucket.com logo from bottom right of drawing.

[Profile] [Quote]
TigerHunter1945
Post subject: Re: Personal Design-Modified Admiral HipperPosted: January 12th, 2018, 12:43 pm
Thank you for the feedback,well as a newbie I still doesnt understand about shipbucket creditting system,to be fair the main turret are indeed a Krakatoa design but the barrel was completely different one (its longer),the lower hull was indeed using a shortened Seydlitz made by Garlicdesign,the upper superstructure were based on DG-Alpha one but with a redraw

Detail like flag and jackstaff will be add later. ;)
Edit : Jackstaff and reichkriegsflagge added,fixed credit,fixed small detail.

[Profile] [Quote]
khouji
Post subject: Re: Personal Design-Modified Admiral HipperPosted: February 9th, 2018, 3:42 am
I'm a newbie and I find the blueprint awesome, please post more in the future. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only”

Jump to: