Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 4  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Of Typhon and BroomsticksPosted: March 1st, 2018, 6:19 pm
I agree with Erik here, I think fitting that fat booster to the existing launchers would not really work. That said, the fat booster seems not to be the same as that of Talos (far smaller diameter, 0,76 vs 0,47 meter) While ASROC, the fattest weapon ever mounted in the Mk 10, was 0,42 meter in diameter. This weapon already had to be mounted every other missile in the magazine, but this might be because of her fins or adapters.

Physically, the larger booster (47cm diameter) would fit in the diameter of the Mk 10 RSR, according to my calculation, but only just.

Whatever the final conclusion on the design used (I will use the slim booster myself for never build designs) one thing that does deserve to be looked at again, is the drawing of the booster and missile right now. The terrier missile is already quite oversized in the shipbucket drawing, for detailing purposes, while the Talos is correctly sized. This Typhon drawing is a terrier sized missile, but is for some reason longer then Talos, has the same missile diameter and has an even larger booster diameter. Is there no better way to represent it? I get that the missile is thickened and oversized to represent details, but right now it just looks wrong IMO........ note how both terrier and Talos have a slightly fatter booster too, but this is only slightly so is not represented in pixels.

It is also possible the dimensions given for Typhon LR (47cm diameter) is for the slim booster and not for the one shown on the pictures (seems possible, as it looks like the pictures there is a 50% increase instead of 15% as the dimensions found on the net suggest. If it is 50%, the booster is impossible to be fitted in the Mk 10 GMLS. (a 25% increase in thickness from missile to booster would fit with only a few mm between the missile, which might be impossible too, but physically it might fit)

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Of Typhon and BroomsticksPosted: March 1st, 2018, 6:49 pm
Hm, well, might be best to try and redraw the thing, rather than keep on using this one. I'll see what I can do, but the almost cruciform shape of the fuselage makes things... Interesting.

Edit: I'm going to assume an oversize length factor of 1.3: This will give a reasonable size for details for most missiles, but it does mean that Talos is too short, so that might need a redraw too.

Last edited by MihoshiK on March 1st, 2018, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Of Typhon and BroomsticksPosted: March 1st, 2018, 6:52 pm
The original lousy Typhon drawing was mine, and it won't break my heart to see it improved ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Of Typhon and BroomsticksPosted: March 1st, 2018, 8:02 pm
erik_t wrote: *
The original lousy Typhon drawing was mine, and it won't break my heart to see it improved ;)
How do you like this? Talos to size added.

[ img ]

Last edited by MihoshiK on March 2nd, 2018, 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Of Typhon and BroomsticksPosted: March 1st, 2018, 8:13 pm
I dig it! I love that Talos now shows the narrowing of the forward fuselage, aft of the inlet (although it has a stray pixel in the inlet).

RIM-50B is a made-up creation, right?

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Of Typhon and BroomsticksPosted: March 1st, 2018, 8:29 pm
erik_t wrote: *
I dig it! I love that Talos now shows the narrowing of the forward fuselage, aft of the inlet (although it has a stray pixel in the inlet).
Argh. Fixed. And glad you like that Talos.

And I hope this shows the almost cruciform shape of the Typhon where the strakes come together a bit better.
Quote:
RIM-50B is a made-up creation, right?
Absolutely. It's a solid-propellant ramjet with terminal semi-active homing and a thrust-vectored booster, allowing for over-the-shoulder shots. It's RIM-50's successor, in much the same way as Terrier was succeeded by SM-1 and 2.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Of Typhon and BroomsticksPosted: March 1st, 2018, 8:31 pm
Looks great, the one drawback I see is that the Talos was actually correctly sized on the original drawing, although that can be considered a good thing as now nobody has to wonder if it is correct :P

(also, to avoid confusion, I would think it would be best to remove the Mk 10 GMLS from the drawing, as not all missiles shown can be fired from it :P)

EDIT: we've drawn correctly sized terriers and other missiles for on-launcher and belowdeck drawings, I propose we keep the 'old' talos for that purpose but have this new one on the missile lines :P Who's going to fix the entries on the shipbucket wiki for them? :P

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Of Typhon and BroomsticksPosted: March 1st, 2018, 8:37 pm
Fortunately Talos was very lightly deployed!!

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Of Typhon and BroomsticksPosted: March 1st, 2018, 8:48 pm
acelanceloet wrote: *
Looks great, the one drawback I see is that the Talos was actually correctly sized on the original drawing, although that can be considered a good thing as now nobody has to wonder if it is correct :P

(also, to avoid confusion, I would think it would be best to remove the Mk 10 GMLS from the drawing, as not all missiles shown can be fired from it :P)
How about this:
[ img ]
And this
[ img ]
Quote:
EDIT: we've drawn correctly sized terriers and other missiles for on-launcher and belowdeck drawings, I propose we keep the 'old' talos for that purpose but have this new one on the missile lines :P Who's going to fix the entries on the shipbucket wiki for them? :P
Not me mate, I've still got one or two Dutch ships to draw in this AU :D

Last edited by MihoshiK on March 2nd, 2018, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Of Typhon and BroomsticksPosted: March 2nd, 2018, 9:54 am
Glad you finally posted these so everyone could have a look at these.

Nice work on the Talos redraw too. So many older parts have needed touch up work so its nice to see these.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 4  [ 37 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: