Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 5  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Norway Project 6615 new Coast guard vesselPosted: January 27th, 2017, 7:47 pm
JSB wrote:
If you have the money (and high wages so cant run more ship numbers) why would you not go big, but I really think its more hidden warship than just what other nations mostly use for coast guard policing duties, I would not be surprised if its FFBNW plenty of other stuff like missiles and bigger gun.

What I don't get from the doc is what the P3049 (x) ship will be like and why they are not 3 (1+x but looks like 2 on diagram?) sisters (of 6615) would that not have cost and they have the same job tile role anyway?

The Project 3049 got canceled and replaced by a additional unit of the project 6615

The original plane was:

1 Large OPV (P6615) (135+ meter)
2 Medium OPV (P3049) (up to 125 meter)

it all got changed with the New strategy of the Norwegian Armed Forces.

the new plane is:

3 Large OPV (P6615)

one of the reason is that the P3049, have almost the same size crew, on a smaller ship, that have more limits, than the P6615.
Other Reason for three P6151, is that Norway over the past years, started projects for new oilfields up in North-Norway, and up there, the weather can be extremely dangerous. (While south Norway have only one very strong storm/hurricane, North Norway have multiple.)
The Coast guard, wanted a vessel that can do everything and have everything and more. The only design that are big enough to do that is the P6615

But I agree, it's a hidden warship:

- just by it's size
- it is also going to carry a 3D radar just like the Nordkapp class
- Aft deck is a nice place for NSM-missiles
- Hangar roof is a nice place for Mistral
- it have a lovely Hatch just in front and bellow the Hangar, Nice place for torpedoes
- it is going to carry two different sonars
- one of the requirement is Naval support (stab) (basicly, command vessel (just like Nordkapp class))
- Owned by the Navy, operated by the Coast Guard ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Norway Project 6615 new Coast guard vesselPosted: August 6th, 2018, 7:08 pm
so a small update:

Just found out the class name will be Jan-Mayen class, but I haven't found a 100% confirmation on that (but it do fit with the Coast Guard naming of large OPV vessels).

earlier this year the contract between the military (government) and "Vard" Shipyard was signed. The picture that was shown at that signing showed a vessel that was quit similar to the Navy-design, but with some adjustment (it shown the vessel only from a front direction):

(note drawing isn't accurate, due to lack of better source. for Vard shipyard variant)
[ img ]

The contract is for 3 large OPV for the Norwegian Coast Guard

- facility for 2 helicopters
- main gun on photos show 57mm/70 Mk 3. (unknown if it is going to carry that gun, due to the coast guard low to use left over 40mm from the Navy, Navy should still have 2 more of 2000-era 40 mm from Oslo class before it got retired)
- standard 100+ man facility
- standard Oil-protection and all that
- ice-strengthend
- if it follow Svalbard class standards, chemical/bio and radioactivity protection

There are some rumors about it to also do the same thing as Nordkapp class, be capable to carry "heavier" armament. there are talks about that each sides of the hangar could be fitted with additional weapons (some say VLS, other says they might make fittings for (refurbished) Mk-29 from Oslo class on the hangar roof) and also other type of weapons could be installed on forward-deck, but it is just talks and not confirmed.

Haven't uploaded it to the main-site, someone that are good at that, can do that.+

Next drawing will be on of the iteration, of the smaller coast guard vessel that got canceled in favor of 3 large OPV, Whan reading stats on that one, I can understand why it got canceled. It was almost identical in stats to the large OPV only just 30-40 meter shorter. And the larger OPV gave more endurance and capability trough the entire package!

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Norway Project 6615 new Coast guard vesselPosted: August 6th, 2018, 9:31 pm
Great work.

[Profile] [Quote]
Eeo
Post subject: Re: Norway Project 6615 new Coast guard vesselPosted: August 15th, 2018, 8:30 pm
Official Royal Norwegian Navy facebook announcement with the class name and names of the ships in question

The ships will be named:
W310 KV Jan Mayen
W311 KV Bjørnøya
W312 KV Hopen

and are expected to be delivered in the timeframe 2022-24.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Norway Project 6615 new Coast guard vesselPosted: August 16th, 2018, 9:29 am
Eeo wrote: *
Official Royal Norwegian Navy facebook announcement with the class name and names of the ships in question

The ships will be named:
W310 KV Jan Mayen
W311 KV Bjørnøya
W312 KV Hopen

and are expected to be delivered in the timeframe 2022-24.
Have you come over more drawing/photo/concept art; of the ship?

[Profile] [Quote]
Eeo
Post subject: Re: Norway Project 6615 new Coast guard vesselPosted: August 20th, 2018, 6:51 pm
Not that are available to the general public.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Norway Project 6615 new Coast guard vesselPosted: August 20th, 2018, 8:23 pm
Not that are available to the general public.
Sadly for me, my stepdad retired from the Navy, his last project was the Frigates... So that type of sources aren't available for me anymore :(

[Profile] [Quote]
Eeo
Post subject: Re: Norway Project 6615 new Coast guard vesselPosted: August 26th, 2018, 3:43 pm
Honestly though, considering that much of the detailed information concerning the ships and various projects in Norway is classified information, maybe you shouldn't have had access to that information in the first place. Might be an idea to remind your stepdad that the vow of silence he took lasts his entire lifetime, not just as long as he's in uniform... not that many officers are bothered by that technicality after they retire though. /rant

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Norway Project 6615 new Coast guard vesselPosted: August 26th, 2018, 4:50 pm
Honestly though, considering that much of the detailed information concerning the ships and various projects in Norway is classified information, maybe you shouldn't have had access to that information in the first place. Might be an idea to remind your stepdad that the vow of silence he took lasts his entire lifetime, not just as long as he's in uniform... not that many officers are bothered by that technicality after they retire though. /rant

Yeah there is a balance there, sometimes they classified stupid things that you can see in front of you.... But there is a problem with some officers that aren't that good at holding the secret... or to say it a different way, know or have got information on what they can say and can not say and thus say 1 or 2 word to many

There are things that he never will talk about, he can suddenly change subject... But he is always fun to have with you, when you visit museum ships (Norwegian, American, British and Russian)... fun that time we visited a Russian submarine that was in Hamburg... he could read anything in there, and tell me how they usually detect that type of submarine and many other fun stories from back then.

like the time they send a simple message to a Soviet submarine: "we see you!"

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Norway Project 6615 new Coast guard vesselPosted: August 26th, 2018, 8:34 pm
I read about a much more musical message: broadcast to the underwater a russian folk song! (and I really don´t know if it is true or just a copycat of Tom Clancy´s novels!).

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 5  [ 47 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: