Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 12  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 712 »
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Site archive wipedPosted: September 25th, 2018, 6:10 pm
All countries were lost so we had to reinsert them all -- a manual job for the uploading crew ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Site archive wipedPosted: September 25th, 2018, 6:52 pm
@Heuhen
Norway is already there, just there are no Norwegian ships uploaded at the moment.
We're talking now about country "categories" - flag, name, etc.
On a note - it would be good if You re-register on the Mainsite.

Btw. was the Ottoman Empire together with Turkey or as separate entry?

With the possible exception of Ottoman Empire, the missing country "categories" are now filled (East Germany, Iran, Portugal, Romania, CSA, Yugoslavia). Of course "technically speaking" there are many more countries "missing" - Monaco, Liechtenstein, Nepal, Mongolia, Chad... to name just a few. :lol: But I guess we can just add them only if there will be a need to do so (in some cases it will be during FD upload, I guess).

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Site archive wipedPosted: September 25th, 2018, 8:22 pm
Many countries do not show as yet, because there are no ships in them loaded yet. As we add ships, the corresponding country appears, but some countries, which are missing are not an option to choose when trying to add them, Austro Hungary was a case in point. Many other countries will stay missing, like those which are landlocked and have no navy for instance.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Site archive wipedPosted: September 25th, 2018, 8:38 pm
Now all countries that had drawings previously should be available.

EDIT - Uploads:
25 September - Iceland, Indonesia, Iran
26 September - Israel, New Zealand, Philippines, South Korea
27 September - Romania, South Africa
28 September - Hong Kong, Manchukuo, Taiwan, CSA
29 September - Austria-Hungary, Yugoslavia
30 September - East Germany, India, Turkey
1 October - Brazil, Peru
2 October - Chile
3 October - Argentina
4 October - Portugal
5 October - Sweden
6 October - China, Greece, Spain
7 October - Canada (by Hood), Finland
8 October - Australia (by Hood)

Last edited by eswube on October 8th, 2018, 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Site archive wipedPosted: October 7th, 2018, 2:05 pm
Dear Friends! :)
I'm happy to announce that the "smaller" counties (with less than 100 files) are already uploaded, and the total amount of files back in the Archive has exceeded 1900 (which is around 1/4th of the total content :P ).

That leaves still the: Australia (nearly done), Denmark, France, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Russia, Thailand and USA folders to fill.
Unfortunately some of them are really big, so it will take a lots of time.

Please. check if everything's there, there are no typos or errors or something that raises Your doubts (and mention it here, but preferably don't change it on Your own ;) ).

Btw. I'd like to remind some of the Uploaders that things like AHTS or OPV do not count as a hull code (for our Archive) and they don't go into the ship's name nor the title (same applies to HMVS and the like). ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Site archive wipedPosted: October 7th, 2018, 2:48 pm
I kept the HMVS purely because those ships pre-existed the RAN, some of them had careers in the RAN and got HMAS prefixes but many were only ever owned by the Colonial State rather than being national assets.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Site archive wipedPosted: October 8th, 2018, 8:05 am
Hi all!

I got started with uploading my own archive (only drawings done by me) in the weekend and will probably be done by next weekend.
Which is unfortunately as much as I can contribute to the French, German, British and Russian folders within my time budget.

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Site archive wipedPosted: October 10th, 2018, 9:36 pm
I've just started uploading content to Thailand folder (hope to finish it tomorrow) and encountered there a certain peculiar problem, I want to discuss here.

Number of ships used by the Royal Thai Navy have changed their pennant numbers over time. That, of course, is no problem (normally each drawing would be simply titled with chronologically relevant pennant number). Problem is, that besides the numer (digits) itself, the pennant numbers from some point (until recently) might have also include the hull code (FF, FS etc.).
However, these codes I could find only in the Superboy's threads on this forum and on Wikipedia, but most other publications available to me (including Jane's, Weyers and Combat Fleets of the World) make no such mentions.
What makes it even more complicated is that in several cases (for example Trad-class torpedo boats) Superboy also gave (in this forum's RTN thread) the pre-WW2 pennant numbers with USN-style hull codes, and it's particularly unclear to me why pre-war Royal Thai Navy should use english language hull code acronyms.
(Problem will start when I'll be uploading ships that had only the number as their name, but I'll think of it tomorrow)

Of course, we all know Superboy for high quality of his work and research, so I wouldn't dare to claim "I know better" anything regarding the navy of His native country.
(and language barrier prevents me from trying to make any own research on Thail-language websites :lol: )
Alas, the information available to me at this moment makes it horribly difficult to me to apply the pennant numbers of Royal Thai Navy ships in a consistent manner, so I decided to, at this moment, mention all known pennant numbers in the CODE bracket, but omitt them entirely from the drawing TITLES.
Obviously, it's only a matter of expediency, and it can be ammended at any given moment.

EDIT - Uploads:
12 October - Thailand

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Site archive wipedPosted: October 13th, 2018, 10:18 am
There's one thing I would discuss and ask for suggestions.
In the archive we have a lot (and will have more) of drawings of Cargo/Passenger Ships (Passenger/Cargo Ships), which, unfortunately, are spread between Cargo Ships type and Passenger Ships type and IMHO that could be bit confusing (both for users and for future uploaders), so preferably I had them all moved into just one of these types (but which?) - or, if we were to keep them split - what criteria should be used for assigning them to either type?

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Site archive wipedPosted: October 13th, 2018, 10:24 am
eswube wrote: *
There's one thing I would discuss and ask for suggestions.
In the archive we have a lot (and will have more) of drawings of Cargo/Passenger Ships (Passenger/Cargo Ships), which, unfortunately, are spread between Cargo Ships type and Passenger Ships type and IMHO that could be bit confusing (both for users and for future uploaders), so preferably I had them all moved into just one of these types (but which?) - or, if we were to keep them split - what criteria should be used for assigning them to either type?
I'll throw in something from wiki:
Quote:
Cargo ships/freighters can be divided into six groups, according to the type of cargo they carry. These groups are:

General cargo vessels
Container ships
Tankers
Dry bulk carriers
Multi-purpose vessels
Reefer ships
General cargo vessels carry packaged items like chemicals, foods, furniture, machinery, motor- and military vehicles, footwear, garments, etc.

Tankers carry petroleum products or other liquid cargo.

Dry bulk carriers carry coal, grain, ore and other similar products in loose form.

Multi-purpose vessels, as the name suggests, carry different classes of cargo – e.g. liquid and general cargo – at the same time.

A Reefer (or Refrigerated) ship is specifically designed[2] and used for shipping perishable commodities which require temperature-controlled, mostly fruits, meat, fish, vegetables, dairy products and other foodstuffs.

Specialized types of cargo vessels include container ships and bulk carriers (technically tankers of all sizes are cargo ships, although they are routinely thought of as a separate category). Cargo ships fall into two further categories that reflect the services they offer to industry: liner and tramp services. Those on a fixed published schedule and fixed tariff rates are cargo liners. Tramp ships do not have fixed schedules. Users charter them to haul loads. Generally, the smaller shipping companies and private individuals operate tramp ships. Cargo liners run on fixed schedules published by the shipping companies. Each trip a liner takes is called a voyage. Liners mostly carry general cargo. However, some cargo liners may carry passengers also. A cargo liner that carries 12 or more passengers is called a combination or passenger-run-cargo line.
That will say we have:
- General cargo vessels
- Container ships
- Tankers
- Dry bulk carriers
- Multi-purpose vessels
- Reefer ships
- General cargo vessels carry packaged items like chemicals, foods, furniture, machinery, motor- and military vehicles, footwear, garments, etc.
- Cargo liners (some carry passengers)
- passenger-run-cargo line (carries 12 or more passengers)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 12  [ 117 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 712 »

Jump to: