Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 13  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 513 »
heuhen
Post subject: Re: HNoMS Helge Ingstad have collidedPosted: November 8th, 2018, 4:15 pm
erik_t wrote: *
The bow submergence/exposure could just be a factor of the tides. I'd be hesitant to make much judgement without a more careful study of that, and without more carefully checking on the exact timing of the photos.
yeah the tides is going out at the moment

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: HNoMS Helge Ingstad have collidedPosted: November 8th, 2018, 4:24 pm
Fair enough.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: HNoMS Helge Ingstad have collidedPosted: November 8th, 2018, 6:46 pm
Picture of damage above water, underwater damage are there no information on. we will probably see those under water damage picture when they start to move the frigate. Under water damage are caused by the bulbous bow from the tanker.

The damage is from the torpedo room and aft to the helicopter deck.
[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: HNoMS Helge Ingstad have collidedPosted: November 8th, 2018, 7:33 pm
To put the damage into perspective, the tanker was carrying ~93,000 metric tons of cargo and the ship itself probably weighs somewhere around 20,000 metric tons on her own. That's the equivalent of a Nimitz class carrier or roughly two South Dakota class battleship. And she managed to maintain both propulsion and steering. A world war II ship would have been plowed completely under.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: HNoMS Helge Ingstad have collidedPosted: November 8th, 2018, 8:46 pm
Regardless of all perspective and comparisons, the damage looks awfuly bad, and unless it will be a total write-off, they will have to basically re-built half the hull.
Best wishes to the injured crewmembers and to the rescue teams.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: HNoMS Helge Ingstad have collidedPosted: November 8th, 2018, 8:47 pm
we can probably thanks the Norwegian Navy for insisting for the additional strengthening in the hull construction for that.

The Navy said after the crash, the way this hull is designed and build (with it's double keel)... they didn't really know what would happen in a situation like this, the only thing they know, was it was supposed to be stronger.

So as you basically say it: quit impressive that she was able to hold herself together for so long

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: HNoMS Helge Ingstad have collidedPosted: November 8th, 2018, 8:54 pm
eswube wrote: *
Regardless of all perspective and comparisons, the damage looks awfuly bad, and unless it will be a total write-off, they will have to basically re-built half the hull.
Best wishes to the injured crewmembers and to the rescue teams.
They haven't decided yet what to do, it's still early and they have to find out how much is damaged, but everything that have been under water is a write-off. They are considering rebuilding here, due to the cost of building a new one would be up to 50% more expensive than what they costet initially.

My thought would go for an alternative solution, se how is building a similar vessel for there country, perhaps with a different capability and buy a 1 of ship and thus cut cost. But it's come down to the government, since the government is basically the insurance company for the Navy and with the pressure on them to increase the military budget and size of the military, 4 frigate would be to few ships... specially when they want to retire Skjold class from 2024... alternative is to replace HNoMS Helge Ingstad with Skjold class due to the similarity in surface warfare package.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: HNoMS Helge Ingstad have collidedPosted: November 9th, 2018, 10:31 am
On this picture it looks so damaged/capsized
Maybe a total wreck-loss ?...
[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: HNoMS Helge Ingstad have collidedPosted: November 9th, 2018, 11:57 am
Hull damage can be fixed even sections can be replaced. The question is how expensive and how many of here 13 compartment are tight if all are tight except engine room and some are on lower deck and the hangar, it would be a rebuild/replacing of damaged areas.

She doesn't have a keel damage, at least that the early rapper says.. but those reports are often 50/50 bullshit

The plane for now:
is to anchor here to land.
then move here on to a barge.
unload ammunition.
Move here to Haakonsvern Naval base own dock/shipyard.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: HNoMS Helge Ingstad have collidedPosted: November 9th, 2018, 12:30 pm
Question: whole crew was evacuated as soon as possible or the damage control teams left on ship and non essential crew was taken away?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 13  [ 126 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 513 »

Jump to: