Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ] 
SebastianP
Post subject: Burke-derived warship designsPosted: December 5th, 2018, 7:29 am
In order to not steal NepsterCZ's thread, I'm opening one of my own for my little project:

[ img ]

I'm doing a series of Burke-derived warship designs based mostly on extrapolation. I am not a real world designer or for that matter a terribly good 3D modeler, but I dabble and you've been selected as test subjects. :)

This ship is essentially supposed to be "what if a Tico replacement was built with late flight Burke tech", so I stretched it to 170 m at the waterline (178.5 m o.a.), increased the beam by 40 cm, raised the hangar deck by one level so I could stick a second gun at the back, and added 32 VLS cells each front and back to make up for the lack of dedicated Harpoon launchers. At this point I'm envisioning 16 cells each for VL-ASROC (or whatever ends up replacing it), ESSM, LRASM, and Tomahawk/NGLAW, plus 96 cells for various versions of the Standard family (or additional Tomahawks).

This is still very much a work in progress, and it will probably never be as detailed or well thought out as the ships NepsterCZ were showing off because I'm not very good at textures and the like. I will *try* to work towards accuracy as I build up and refine my parts library, but that might take a while, and they'll never be "walk around on the ship" type models, I'm aiming for game quality. Ish.

Also, if someone could help me out with some research here and there, that would be awesome - I currently have a need to know the dimensions of the exterior bits of the Mk41 system because the current version is just a placeholder, and the only dimensional drawings I've found are embedded in a low-rez PDF where the numbers are illegible. :(

Also, since this is shipbucket, I find it obligatory to post a properly scaled ortho: (Edit: it was supposed to be shipbucket scale at least. I appear to have calculated something wrong.)

[ img ]

Let me know where I'm doing dumb things or being inaccurate, and I'll attempt to fix them.

[Profile] [Quote]
SebastianP
Post subject: Re: Burke-derived warship designsPosted: December 6th, 2018, 8:53 pm
[ img ]

Most of the armament and main sensors are now in place, still need to populate the mast and build the machine guns, and the boat rack. Also have most of the deck stripes done, though I may update the turret warning circles to add the text at some point. It should be easy enough due to how I made them in the first place.

In order to make the helicopter pad, the aft VLS and the aft CIWS fit, I ended up stretching the hull a fair bit, she's 180.5 meters (592 feet) long and 20.8 meters (68 feet) wide at the waterline.

Armament is currently:
160 VLS cells (64 forward, 96 aft),
2 5-inch/62 caliber Mk45 Mod 4 guns (1 forward, 1 aft)
2 20 mm Mk15 Phalanx CIWS
2 Triple 324 mm Mk32 Surface Vessel Torpedo Tubes

There's also a space set aside for two Harpoon launchers on the fantail, like on the Ticonderoga-class, not sure if they're absolutely needed though. :)

Sensors installed are:
AN/SPY-6 AMDR
EASR (Enterprise Air Search Radar)
3 AN/SPG-62 illuminators
2 AN/SLQ-32(V)6 SEWIP Mk2 ECM units

For comparison purposes, here's a shipbucket-scale render:

[ img ]

I'd appreciate some input from anyone who knows their stuff whether this needs another SPG-62 up front, and what kinds of sensors and communications gear I should be building next.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Burke-derived warship designsPosted: December 6th, 2018, 10:02 pm
If anything, I think you could get away with fewer SPG-62 since you have AMDR-X and (presumably) SM-6. I'd retain (probably) one fore and aft to burn through jamming at extreme range, or something, but they don't seem like they should pose a saturation problem.

[Profile] [Quote]
alotef
Post subject: Re: Burke-derived warship designsPosted: December 7th, 2018, 2:26 am
Pretty grand effort on the 3D modelling here. :)
~Mike

[Profile] [Quote]
SebastianP
Post subject: Re: Burke-derived warship designsPosted: December 7th, 2018, 3:41 am
erik_t wrote: *
If anything, I think you could get away with fewer SPG-62 since you have AMDR-X and (presumably) SM-6. I'd retain (probably) one fore and aft to burn through jamming at extreme range, or something, but they don't seem like they should pose a saturation problem.
Ah, good, I was thinking that existing ships pretty much had one illuminator per 32 cell unit, and by that standard I should have had three aft and two forward. :) Nice to know that won't be necessary. I'll keep the ones I have for now though, SPG-62 is at the very least still useful for SM3.
alotef wrote: *
Pretty grand effort on the 3D modelling here. :)
~Mike
I've done spaceships before, in a similar way to how I'm doing this - build a parts library of weapons and sensors, then concentrate on getting the hull and superstructure right and just populate it with the various bits and bobs. The only thing really new is that I figured out how to do warship hulls properly, and decided to actually *go* for it this time. My spaceship fleet was based on the WW2 US Navy, just with two superstructures (one underneath the ship), and I ended up covering pretty much all of the destroyers, cruisers and battleships, and I was starting to figure out carriers by the time I gave up because my computer wasn't handling it.

And this is still not really a serious effort, if I was going whole hog on the accuracy of everything I'd have my UI loaded up with all manner of drawings and stuff. This is for *fun*. I haven't even bothered checking what the deck height on the real Burkes is, I just went with 3 meters because it's easy to work with. :)

Anyway, I did some work to the forward deckhouse - the two big base parts are now a single base part so I don't have to worry about objects poking through each other when they're not supposed to. And then I populated the countermeasures deck:

[ img ]

Mk36 SRBOC and Mk52 Nulka DLS have been built and installed, same arrangement on both sides so there's 36 SRBOC tubes and 8 Nulka ready to fire.

The orange thing is my man-size reference object, it's 1.8 meters tall.

I also, based on someone pointing this feature out to me, decided to use the octuple Harpoon launcher arrangement from the Sejong the Great (KDX-III) class destroyers.

Also, while I was looking for sRGB values for the FS595 paints I spotted a particular combination of paints that begged to be used, just for fun:

[ img ]

J Random Drugsmuggler is about to have a very bad day. (And so is the accounting office at the USCG....)

[Profile] [Quote]
tempzeta
Post subject: Re: Burke-derived warship designsPosted: February 25th, 2019, 2:33 am
SebastianP wrote: *
"what if a Tico replacement was built with late flight Burke tech"
So something akin to a modernized CGBL?
[ img ]

I had a go at something similar, but yours seems to be more feasible.
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/ ... -Burke-WIP
Here's an older image-I have yet to accurately model the deeper draft,
which would yield sufficient buoyancy/stability for an enclosed foredeck
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings”

Jump to: