Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 4  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Armoured man
Post subject: Re: Ocean liner challengePosted: January 2nd, 2019, 9:19 pm
now that looks impressive, really good job mate :)

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Ocean liner challengePosted: January 4th, 2019, 8:38 pm
Just a fast work, a couple of hours! :lol:

I used inspiration from Det Bergenske Dampskipsselskap (BDS) ship, "TS Leda" a ship that traveled between Bergen and Stavanger (Norway) and Newcastle (UK).
[ img ]

TS Bergen
Length: 265.48 meter
Beam: 29.0 meter
Draft: max: 11,70 meter
Displacement: estimated around 35.000 - 40.000.
Powerplant: 6 x complex-geared steam turbines; 4 shafts; 180.000 shp (standard), max load at 225.000 shp
Speed: Service speed at 33 knots, 40,8 knots during speed trail. Blue riband challenge speed: East 34,48 knots (engine problems), West: 36.7 knots. As a cruise ship: 22 knots
Capacity: 1700
Crew: 600
decks: as build: 6 passenger deck; as cruise ships in the 80's: 9+1 passenger deck

-------------------

TS Bergen

Design:
Designed to be a combined passenger and cargo Ocean Liner with focus on passenger transport. She wasn't designed to be the most luxurious ship but had a Luxurious deck on the ship. She was designed with a small 1. class area, large 2. class area and hugh 3. class capacity. Compared to other ships "TS Bergen" was build with better creature comfort on 3. class. (Bergenske Dampskipsselskap) (BDS) study that there was more 2. and 3. class passenger traveling across the ocean (mostly due to ticket price), so "BDS" had there focus on 2. and 3. class, but those that traveled on the small 1. class was treated as royalty, a newspaper jokingly nicked the ship as "the royal yacht with it's servants!" she had a unique bow design focused to give and sharp bow, with a small bulb.

Ordered in 1950, designed to be able to challenge SS United States for the "Blue Riband" but it wasn't the main focus for "BDS", they was only interested in earning money on the route. Due to this she was build with 6 powerful turbines with a complex gearing, where she normally would us 4 of the large turbines at normal operation, the 2 other turbines would only be used for High speed operation due to fuel cost and was dus very rarely in use. She needed powerful engine to be able to get up in those speed, due to the North Sea hull she was designed with. She was a boat that handle bad weather without problems.

----------

1970's
Her carrier on the North Atlantic was short, but was soon put in on a new route. she would travel between Europa, North America and South America in both direction. in the early 70's she would be refurbished where the 2. and 1. class was extended and 3. class was made smaller and put in as a cruise ship. in this configuration she would most of the time only cruise on 2-3 turbines, speed wasn't important. in the late 70's 2 of here turbines was dismantled and used as spare parts, in that space couple of Diesel generators was mounted. here aft cargo deck was removed to give place for entertainment facility.

1980's
had here funnel raised 1 deck to give space for a skydeck/restaurant, she received also a swimming pool on aft deck. here second forward cargo deck was removed and gave place for entertainment facility. her turbines was refurbished and new more powerful Diesel generators replaced the old diesel generators, she received also electric engine for shaft 2 and 3 as an backup system, could do 10 knots on electric engine and would often use them, when entering harbors.

1990's
taken out of service. there are uncertainty about what to do with the ship, Refurbish and rebuild as a cruise ship or as a Hotel, conference and museum. But due to funding problems she was laid up, but never strickend, but due to financial problems within sister company (BDS) sold the ship to the government in a package with the government to get funds to rescue the company and it's sister company and now SS Bergen is under Government ownership. The ship had 2 of it decks fixed and being used as an re-educational center for people without work.

updated:
[ img ]

old 1:
https://i.imgur.com/VlKnhTO.png
old 2:
https://i.imgur.com/QHSN2mT.png

Last edited by heuhen on January 10th, 2019, 5:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Armoured man
Post subject: Re: Ocean liner challengePosted: January 4th, 2019, 8:49 pm
if that was done in only a couple of hours, then that means you have some truly impressive skills, good job on it

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Ocean liner challengePosted: January 4th, 2019, 9:18 pm
Armoured man wrote: *
if that was done in only a couple of hours, then that means you have some truly impressive skills, good job on it
it's simple:

- decide a circa length.
- make the main hull line and make it look good
- add in deck lines.
- decide how all cutouts should look like and add them in locations where you think they would naturally fit in.
- do all shadows in some strong colors and rest of the ship in a different color.
- decide on your 3-4 standard window type and just copy and past them where you want them, but place them logically to where your cabins and restaurants would be placed and not random.
- find a lifeboat from a old design and modifie it and copy past.
- recolor the entire ship to the correct color.
- spend some time on the wooden covering

basically 4 seasons of between 1 to 4 hour, tot.: +-10 hour.

if I want to change something I would pull the bridge/restaurant-superstructure aft a few meters and added in 1 deck more. but nah. I go with this

[Profile] [Quote]
Armoured man
Post subject: Re: Ocean liner challengePosted: January 4th, 2019, 9:24 pm
I still think it looks very impressive, you did a good job on it mate :)

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Ocean liner challengePosted: January 6th, 2019, 4:49 am
All very nice designs!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Ocean liner challengePosted: January 6th, 2019, 3:51 pm
I'm somewhat skeptical about a 20' long active stabilizer in that era.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Ocean liner challengePosted: January 6th, 2019, 4:50 pm
erik_t wrote: *
I'm somewhat skeptical about a 20' long active stabilizer in that era.
I was considering to put it in front, just like they did on TS Leda (the smaller drawing)

[Profile] [Quote]
sebu
Post subject: Re: Ocean liner challengePosted: January 7th, 2019, 2:23 pm
Nice work here! It would take years from me to produce something like these... ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Calis
Post subject: Re: Ocean liner challengePosted: January 9th, 2019, 8:51 pm
These are very impressive, can not wait to see what else is added

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 4  [ 39 posts ]  Return to “Drawing Challenges” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: