Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 11 of 12  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page « 18 9 10 11 12 »
eswube
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Site archive wipedPosted: November 16th, 2018, 10:08 pm
Well, current Coastal Warfare TYPE is extremely over-diverse group, but it's carried over from the previous upload, when it wasn't me who started adding the Coastal Defence Ships, Monitors and the like there. I just got over that. ;)

Idea to create separate Ironclad TYPE, with both full-sized ships like Warrior as well as smaller ones like Monitor and Huascar. (basically anything earlier than "proper" Pre-Dreadnought) sounds good to me.
In such case most of 19th/early 20th century gunboats (non-MGB's, that is) could perhaps go to Patrol TYPE.
But there still would be late 19th/20th century Coastal Defence Ships, WW1/WW2 era monitors, the Niels Juel and the like...

On a different note: Japan is uploaded (more-or-less).
It would be great if someone knowledgeable looked into CLASS names for Submarines and Coastal Warfare, as I had to use some complicated naming there, which, btw. sometimes differs wildly from the captions on the drawings.

[Profile] [Quote]
orionfield
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Site archive wipedPosted: November 19th, 2018, 11:50 pm
Sorry that I'm a little late to the party, but I backed up the database to my computer about a year ago, and just copied it all to my dropbox, if you guys want to grab some of the images that are missing from there, go for it. I have it organized by country. There some non SB drawings in there too, and blank text files, which can be ignored.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ly4t3k023amo ... jgcga?dl=0

Work List:
Eastern Air Lines Fleet History
Around the world challenge
US Attack Aircraft History

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Site archive wipedPosted: December 1st, 2018, 12:26 pm
Upload of Russia is complete, leaving only Great Britain (taken care by Hood), Germany and the USA (so the three largest folders of all :lol: )

With Russian warships, I was adding the "local" classification for them (all these TARKR, BPK, SKR, PLARB etc. etc. - of course in full form, acronym and translation) in the Sub-Type, but located them in various Types more-or-less according to generally accepted "western" classification (so, for example Pr.1134's were officialy RKR's and BPK's, but are all under Cruisers, while some other BPK's - like Pr.61 and Pr.1155 - are under destroyers).
The pennant numbers were generally disregarded, as they were frequently changed for disinformation purposes.
Also, Soviet Navy used the letter/number codes as names (K-219, D-3 etc.) for certain classes of their ships, and here it's followed (even though it make an impression of being hull codes - but they are not). Hovewer, some of these ships had both the number and "normal" name (D-1 Dekabrist submarine, for example) - in such cases the name of the ship is given as such and that "D-1" is not moved to Code bracket.

The Pr.1123 Moskva and Pr.10200 Khalzan Anti-Submarine Cruisers (Helicopter Carriers) are under Aviation Ships, but Gibbs & Cox hybrid battleship/aircraft carriers are under Battleships. So far, as a rule of thumb (not only for Russia but all countries) I assumed that dividing line between a warship being (for our Archive's purposes) an "Aviation Ship" or a "Cruiser" (CGH), "Destroyer" (DDH) or whatever else is roughly-defined ratio of flight deck to superstructure ("if it has more superstructure than flight deck, then it's not an Aviation Ship") with presence (or lack) of armament not-for-self-defence being additional factor. I know it's not very "scientific", but for a while I don't really see a better option.

Also, recently we had this discussion above about possible changes to TYPES, but since it was limited to Hood, Colosseum and me, and we haven't reached too many solid conclusions, I haven't made any "real" changes in the archive so far.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Site archive wipedPosted: December 4th, 2018, 2:21 pm
A note to everyone who had old drawings linked to the archive.

Please check all your links!!! As we are uploading the images the old links are being reassigned to new drawings.

For example my interwar battleships thread is showing a rather more eclectic mix. ;)

http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... =13&t=5705

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Site archive wipedPosted: December 4th, 2018, 2:57 pm
Same for me. ;) Need to go back and update all my threads... what a nightmare!

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Site archive wipedPosted: December 23rd, 2018, 11:05 am
I am extremely pleased to announce that thanks to Hood's hard work, the Great Britain folders (RL/NW) are uploaded. :D
(actually, Hood did it already a week ago, only it took me so much time to check if there's something left to add :oops: )
That leaves only Germany and USA still WiP.

On a note, a small suggestion to anyone who could be uploading drawings in the future.
For a never-weres I'd suggest to drop/avoid using words like "design", "project", "concept", "proposal", "study" and the like, unless they are part of the actual name ("Project 10200", "Design Study 383"), are meant to differentiate between drawings ("early design" vs. "late design"), describe the early vision of a ship that eventually was built but do changed design ("as initially planned") and the like (of course, using common sense). After all, being in "Never Were" folder means that they are all "designs", "proposals", "concept" etc. by default. ;)
Also, I'd suggest - for visual/clarity reasons - that when filename - both Real Life and Never Were has such elements, or ones like "as museum ship", "anti-aircraft conversion" etc. etc. to NOT use capital letters in such parts of the filename. Only in the name of the ship itself (and possibly other actual names if needed - geographical if file depicts ship during the battle etc.). So "XXX as museum ship" instead of "XXX As Museum Ship", or "XXX anti-aircraft conversion" instead of "XXX Anti-Aircraft Conversion".

EDIT: One notable exception that actually was not uploaded although it should is Habbakuk pykrete-ice carrier (never-were). Hopefully it's only a temporary inconvenience but it seems that the texture of pykrete used in drawing is apparently using excessive amount of kilobytes of size, so some replacement filling needs to be invented.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Site archive wipedPosted: January 6th, 2019, 9:29 pm
At long last the German folders are uploaded, leaving only USA.
I'm not promising anything, but maybe we'll have all SB content uploaded by the end of the month.

I also added (most) of the new works for already uploaded folders.

Btw. I'm very curious who has uploaded Australian Type 26 Hunter design into the Real-Life folder. ;P

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Site archive wipedPosted: January 25th, 2019, 10:38 pm
I'm very pleased to announce that the SB upload is done! :D

Many thanks to all those who participated in uploading.

Of course something might have been overlooked etc. so all comments and corrections are welcome. (but please, rather tell about them instead of implementing them on Your own)

We should IMHO return to the discussion about reorganization of certain TYPES (that can be seen above) and I'll also try to write guidelines for filenaming etc. - but right now I have a flu and my mind is hardly brightest at the moment. :roll:

Next part would be FD upload, but besides my health and being bit tired of that uploading ( ;) ) I need to discuss with Colosseum on what stage is the development project for that part, before I can proceed.

P.S. I've created NATO as "country" in order to accomodate the (never-were) Free World Frigate and NFR-90 designs, but am open to alternative suggestions.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Site archive wipedPosted: January 25th, 2019, 11:35 pm
Thanks eswube! Tremendous work.
Quote:
Next part would be FD upload, but besides my health and being bit tired of that uploading ( ;) ) I need to discuss with Colosseum on what stage is the development project for that part, before I can proceed.
I will hopefully have some time this weekend to go back over all my notes on where we left off so we can pick this back up again :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Site archive wipedPosted: January 26th, 2019, 9:42 am
That's great news!

I hope you recover from the flu soon. Take it easy.

Creating NATO is a good idea for those, though I thought that was how they were originally listed before the big wipe?

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 11 of 12  [ 117 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page « 18 9 10 11 12 »

Jump to: