Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ] 
Chocolate Bunny
Post subject: Ettore Feriamosca - Italian Plane Carrier SubmarinePosted: February 19th, 2019, 6:23 am
Here is a not very known design from the Italian Navy:

During the 20s the Regia Marina also got into the "Cruiser Submarine" fad, looking for a submarine big enough to carry heavy artillery and an observation plane.

Thus, in 1926 they came with very interesting design that was supposed to be the competitor to the famouse French Cruiser Submarine Surcouf:

The Sommergibile Classe Fieramosca:
Displacement: 1965 Tn maximum
Lenght: 82,3 Meters
Armament: 8 x 533 Torpedo Tubes, 1 x 120mm cannon, 4 x 13,2 machine guns, 1 x explorer plane

Here you have the original design of the Fieramosca (1926) with an enclosed gun and hangar for the plane. However, during construction it was heavily modified losing the hangar and getting a simpler gun placement. At the end it never carried planes and in 1931 the hangar was taken out.

[ img ]

This is still a preliminary design, so I would appreciatte suggestions. In particular I am thinking on how to improve the heavy gun, the propeller and the diving plane.

I am also going to add a Piaggio p.8 and a Macchi M.53 seaplanes, which were supposed to be carried by the Fieramosca, althought they were never deployed.

As a reference you can check the following pages:
http://www.betasom.it/forum/index.php?/ ... osca-1926/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_s ... Fieramosca

Here you go some pictures of the original and final design:
[ img ]
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Ettore Feriamosca - Italian Plane Carrier SubmarinePosted: February 19th, 2019, 9:46 pm
Good job on trying a less known ship (submarine).
Judging from the source material you have supplied it seems that the propellers were inboard of what seems to me to be the aft diving planes, not at all like you have drawn. May I also suggest that you look at Real Life submarines already drawn,by artist like Darth Panda and others to see how they had drawn the various parts of their submarines.
I also think this should go into the beginners forum as it is a Real Life ship drawn by a new artist, and was really built, so it certainly does not belong to the Never Built section.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Lazer_one
Post subject: Re: Ettore Feriamosca - Italian Plane Carrier SubmarinePosted: February 22nd, 2019, 6:33 pm
Good job! If you need more information I could collect.
PS: I made a specific research for the color/hues used from Regia Marina in that period and, therefore, I would suggest you o have a look to this submarine http://www.shipbucket.com/drawings/3864

Here is a WIP drawing of Marcello Class with main color-palettes and some elements that could be useful for italian subs

[ img ]

Lazer_One's Worlist - Updated 2021

Documentation is always welcome here

Lazer_One's Blog

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs”

Jump to: