Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ] 
Karle94
Post subject: Two different styles for hyperboloid aka "cage masts"Posted: February 22nd, 2019, 10:23 pm
We all know that the old style for cage, or lattice masts was a jumbled mess of black lines that went everywhere, and didn't form anything resembling the true thing. This is because of thick metal "wires" that wraps and twists in a circual motion down the structure. David made a new style, that looked much better, but only shows the twist on one side. We'be both used that style since then. I've come up an alternative that shows the twist on both sides, in a simple, yet effective way, without creating a mess of blobs and lines. What I want is your opinions on this style, compared to the other one.

I've made a drawing of a mast in both styles. My new one on the left, and David's on the right.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: Two different styles for hyperboloid aka "cage masts"Posted: February 23rd, 2019, 8:25 am
Difficult to answer
Because there are various models of cage-masts

If you deeply study photos, you will notice some differences (between early cage-masts onboard BBs 28-31, onboard BBs 32-35, onboard BBs 36-39, BBs 40-42 and...obvisouly BBs 43-48 !)

There are U.S official models/denominations/references for these cage-masts ? (cage-masts Mk 1, Mk 2, Model 1, Model 2 ???) :?:

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Two different styles for hyperboloid aka "cage masts"Posted: February 23rd, 2019, 9:17 am
I think stylistically your new one looks slightly better, but as Colombamike it is a complicated area, but generally the new one looks better as an overall style for cage masts.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Two different styles for hyperboloid aka "cage masts"Posted: February 23rd, 2019, 5:14 pm
I like the newer, modified form, but it's a fairly weak preference. I wouldn't say that there's a strong need to revisit the previously drawn BBs.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion”

Jump to: