Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Lupus Amandum
Post subject: Potential Plausible Modern Battleship (Question Mark?)Posted: February 12th, 2019, 3:31 pm
So i’ve been devising this modern battleship design for a few weeks and i feel like it might actually be plausible in a real life scenario.
[ img ]
http://imgur.com/a6aTYiy
And don’t mind that its a Russian design being built in Germany, I really like Russian designs and Trinity Industries is based in Germany.

So, what are your thoughts on it?

Last edited by Lupus Amandum on February 12th, 2019, 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Potential Plausible Modern Battleship (Question Mark?)Posted: February 12th, 2019, 6:00 pm
just seeing 404 ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Lupus Amandum
Post subject: Re: Potential Plausible Modern Battleship (Question Mark?)Posted: February 12th, 2019, 6:36 pm
Colosseum wrote: *
just seeing 404 ;)
Does the link not work? :v

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Potential Plausible Modern Battleship (Question Mark?)Posted: February 12th, 2019, 6:47 pm
Seems like it is not an public link

[Profile] [Quote]
Lupus Amandum
Post subject: Re: Potential Plausible Modern Battleship (Question Mark?)Posted: February 12th, 2019, 7:03 pm
acelanceloet wrote: *
Seems like it is not an public link
I just made a few changes, does it work now?

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Potential Plausible Modern Battleship (Question Mark?)Posted: February 12th, 2019, 7:14 pm
Depends on what you mean by "plausible". Could you build it? Yes. Would you want to? I kind of doubt it.

There's ultimately very little reason to put very large caliber gun mounts on a fast ship which must defend itself against air, surface, and subsurface attack. To the extent they can be justified at all, such large guns would exist for bombardment of coastal targets, and they would likely be mounted in small numbers on a relatively slow hull (nothing faster than a PHIBRON, maybe 20 knots).

And in fact, the only time the USN has ever considered a new-construction hull mounting of battleship-caliber guns in the postwar era, that's exactly what they considered: basically an updated WW2 monitor.

Me, for the same tonnage and the same cost, I'd rather have four Burkes which can mutually support each other, survive several major missile hits without losing all combat effectiveness (you can't armor radar, but your buddy's radar will survive your missile hit), and can conduct different kinds of operations (helo, missile fire) simultaneously and/or be in more than one place at a time.

[Profile] [Quote]
Lupus Amandum
Post subject: Re: Potential Plausible Modern Battleship (Question Mark?)Posted: February 12th, 2019, 7:21 pm
erik_t wrote: *
Depends on what you mean by "plausible". Could you build it? Yes. Would you want to? I kind of doubt it.

There's ultimately very little reason to put very large caliber gun mounts on a fast ship which must defend itself against air, surface, and subsurface attack. To the extent they can be justified at all, such large guns would exist for bombardment of coastal targets, and they would likely be mounted in small numbers on a relatively slow hull (nothing faster than a PHIBRON, maybe 20 knots).

And in fact, the only time the USN has ever considered a new-construction hull mounting of battleship-caliber guns in the postwar era, that's exactly what they considered: basically an updated WW2 monitor.

Me, for the same tonnage and the same cost, I'd rather have four Burkes which can mutually support each other, survive several major missile hits without losing all combat effectiveness (you can't armor radar, but your buddy's radar will survive your missile hit), and can conduct different kinds of operations (helo, missile fire) simultaneously and/or be in more than one place at a time.
Ah alright, then I guess this was sorta just a fun little project. I’ll see what other have to say about it, I appreciate the feedback.

[Profile] [Quote]
Lupus Amandum
Post subject: Re: Potential Plausible Modern Battleship (Question Mark?)Posted: March 11th, 2019, 2:52 pm
[ img ]
Made some more changes.

Last edited by Lupus Amandum on March 11th, 2019, 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Potential Plausible Modern Battleship (Question Mark?)Posted: March 11th, 2019, 3:02 pm
You should consider using an image host like imgur, which can embed images on the forums.

EDIT: Also what's the point of a modern battleship. A guided missile ship could job the much better, and would be cheaper to build and maintain.

[Profile] [Quote]
Lupus Amandum
Post subject: Re: Potential Plausible Modern Battleship (Question Mark?)Posted: March 11th, 2019, 3:09 pm
Shigure wrote: *
You should consider using an image host like imgur, which can embed images on the forums.

EDIT: Also what's the point of a modern battleship. A guided missile ship could job the much better, and would be cheaper to build and maintain.
I’ve attempted to embed imgur images on the forum but it just gives me the [img] rather than the actual thing, also it’s just a fun project, not meant to be practical. But I’ve also attempted to make it as realistic as I can make it.

EDIT: Nvm i got it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 12 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: