Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Cascadia
Post subject: Lost archivesPosted: March 30th, 2019, 2:33 pm
Hello folks,

a few days ago, for reasons unknown, the folder on my external drive where I stored all stuff from this forum became damaged from one moment to the next and is no longer accessable.
Allthough I could rescue a couple of datas, and could find some of your stuff on deviantart, most files, especially FD-scale are gone.
I don't think I'm luccky enough and someone has stored all the lovely work, so I don't have to look through every thread again?

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Lost archivesPosted: March 30th, 2019, 4:39 pm
Of what shipbucket work that has been archived, it can be found on www.shipbucket.com
Soon it will feature the FD collections, once we get it done. Eswube is our headmanager in uploading.

Collecting any other archives is up to everyone's conscience however. I have personally not given permission to any 3rd party member to store my work and then distribute them in part of some collections.
SB uploading is done with the artists submitting their work themselves to the uploading into the SB mainsite and thus giving such permission. Before the FD scale is uploaded, we will make sure all the concerned parties (artists) agree that their work can be uploaded.

Distributing any other archive collections without permission of all artists involved is now onward prohibited in SB forum and in our Discord.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Lost archivesPosted: March 30th, 2019, 4:52 pm
Gollevainen, with all due respect, the downloadable shipbucket archive TJ linked here just now was instrumental in reuploading all drawings after the archive went down without any backup a few months ago, offers an offline backup of the works already on the mainsite without having to manually download each and every one, and it being publicly shared on the shipbucket forums where anyone can object to the material being in it (this too has IIRC happened in the past and the offending material was removed) seems to be a better move then this same thing being shared in other places then the official shipbucket site and discord, isn't it?

I also remember Ro-Po Max stating often that he had no intention of having his works in the sb main site archive, but still those are there, uploaded not by him but by others. There are far less users uploading then there are authors of drawings. So, what you are stating about the archive (everyone uploading their work themselves) is at this moment quite simply wrong.

And there are of course people on deviantart and the like who do nothing but putting our drawings on big templates. Do they have permission?

So in other words, when somebody shares this collection to help out someone to avoid us all doing the same thing (collecting and saving every drawing we want to save) is that the right thing to shoot down or is there some other reason why objecting to this collection is important? I don't understand this move.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Lost archivesPosted: March 30th, 2019, 5:01 pm
According to the main website, Shipbucket drawings have always been submitted according to the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International license. The license page reads
Quote:
All Shipbucket drawings are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International license. You are free to share and adapt the work available on this site, with the following restrictions:

Attribution: You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in anyway that suggests the original authors endorse you or your use of the work.
Non-Commercial: You may not use Shipbucket work for commercial purposes.
Saying "I have not given permission to any third party member to store my work and distribute it" is not just arguable, it is wrong according to the terms of use of this website. Furthermore, CC-NC4 explicitly does not allow future restrictions to be imposed on work released under it. At least for any drawings uploaded or shared before 3/30/2019, no artist may attempt to restrict the sharing or redistribution of drawings they have shared here, nor may the administration.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Lost archivesPosted: March 30th, 2019, 5:37 pm
I have to agree with erik_t here. Once a work is published attempting to restrict its circulation in in breach of the CC licence that SB uses, specifically the following clauses.
Quote:
Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format

The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.

No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Lost archivesPosted: March 30th, 2019, 6:06 pm
we are not prohibiting posting SB stuff on our sites and discord. We are only prohibiting to post archives that are at the same time a register of artists in our site unless permission of artist inside those archives. If you have permission of said artists to be on your archives, you can post them here. It includes the work submitted to our past and present uploading threads and stuff from the incarnations of our mainsite. The issue is not about the creative commons licence, but a personal registry issue and the legality of such.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Lost archivesPosted: March 30th, 2019, 9:23 pm
@Cascadia
Sorry to hear about that unfortunate occurence.
It happens that I have the FD archive that is as close to "complete" as I could get - and hopefully soon-ish we will start to have it uploaded.
As for trying go go through all threads to save the pictures, I'm afraid it's bit futile since many - if not most - older works (from photobucket, imageshack, majhost and wherever else they were) are simply gone.

(Although I have to admit, that unlike the SB Archive where we have the "marking as deprecated" option, for my FD archive I am simply discarding the drawings that got "better" replacement :roll: )

@Gollevainen
The FD upload will come from, what effectively is, "my private archive", for making of which I never bothered to ask anyone if I can save his/her works. So, while making an upload, I will be - practically speaking - "posting an archive, that is at the same time a register of artists in our site" - and without "permission of artists inside those archives".

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Lost archivesPosted: March 31st, 2019, 5:23 am
For the FD uploading we will need to figure out some sort of "If you dont object, you aprove" type of permission thread and then manually remove stuff if some Still argues lack of such permission.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Lost archivesPosted: March 31st, 2019, 8:15 am
Leaving aside that particular case we discussed on PM (where there are also numerous "personal animosities and hostilities" involved), the bottom line is, IMHO, that in practical terms there is no "legal" difference between SB and FD works. Both were posted here "for community's benefit" and SB were simply uploaded to archive. Not only those specifically included in Upload Threads but "all the could be found in complete state" throughout the Forum (actually both forums, as I screened the old one as well).
(exception being works of Ro-Po Max, although several SB-scale ones were actually uploaded, while his FD ones I'm not even saving - and in fact I'm not saving also those that were made by other Authors but included Ro-Po Max's elements)

[Profile] [Quote]
Cascadia
Post subject: Re: Lost archivesPosted: March 31st, 2019, 11:17 am
Hello Guys.
Don't ask me how or why, but when I started my Computer today, I got the notice that my drive is damaged and will be repaired. Twenty minutes later I was able to access my Shipbucket folder again, and it seems that everything is working again.

I don't know much about this kind of computers, so its somewhat weird for me.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: