Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Miklania
Post subject: Halifax Class FrigatePosted: September 17th, 2019, 10:27 pm
A while ago I came across sets of plans for the Halifax class frigate, currently the Royal Canadian Navy's only major surface combatant class. The Halifax class are the end result of the Canadian Patrol Frigate Project, which in typical Canadian time took about 20 years from conception in the 1970's to fruition in 1992. The purpose of the class was to replace older Canadian frigates and complement the Iroquois class destroyers, which were actually much smaller and older than the new frigates. With the retirement of the Iroquois class, the Halifaxes are the only major surface combatants left in the RCN inventory. A mid life update (image coming soon!) called FELEX (Frigate Equipment Life EXtension) was begun in 2008; all ships should have their upgrades completed at this time. The 12 ships are scheduled to be replaced by 15 ships of the Single Class Surface Combatant, which will be a variant of the UK Type 26 frigate.

[ img ]

Power is provided by 1x 8,800 shp diesel for cruise mode or 2x LM2500 gas turbines producing 47,500 shp combined for sprint. Maximum speed is "over 30 knots". Armament as built consisted of 1x Bofors 57mm Mk.2 deck gun, 16x Mk.48 Mod.0 VLS cells for Nato Sea Sparrow, 8x Harpoons, 1x Mk.15 Phalanx CIWS, 4x fixed 12.75" torpedo tubes with Mk.46 torpedoes (24 of which can be carried), and M2 .50 caliber machine guns. Primary sensors as built were SPS-49 and a seemingly unique variant of Sea Giraffe. Electronic warfare fit was a unique system called CANEWS (CANadian Electronic Warfare System). STIR directors were provided for use with the guns and missiles. Sonar fit includes the Canadian Towed Array (CANTASS), the AN/SQS-510 hull mounted sonar, and sonobuoy processors. Torpedo defense is provided by AN/SLQ-25 Nixie. It appears that a form of Masker system is integrated into the hull, with two "air emitter" belts indentified in the declassified blueprints. The FELEX upgrade saw the armament improved with the integration of ESSM into the VLS, the guns upgraded to the Mk.3 standard with improved hardware and low RCS gun house, the latest Block 1B version of Phalanx, and remote control .50 cals replacing some of the manually operated ones amidships. Countermeasures were improved by replacing fixed chaff launchers with the Rheinmetall MASS. Radar fit was also improved, with the SPS-49 being replaced by SMART-S and the STIR directors by Saab Ceros models. CANEWS was also improved, with new mounts fore and aft on the mainmast replacing the four smaller antennae. Navigation radars and searchlights were added or moved, and other minor changes were also made. A single CH-124A Sea King or the newer CH-148 Cyclone helicopter can be embarked in the hangar. Three boats are typically embarked, with 1x 7.3m (18 man) RHIB with davit starboard and 2x Six-Man IRBs with cranes port and starboard. A unique feature is a retractable RAS kingpost behind the main gun.

Best set of source materials ever.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Halifax Class FrigatePosted: September 18th, 2019, 1:08 am
This is an excellent update. The blueprints to which you refer--are they available somewhere?

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Halifax Class FrigatePosted: September 18th, 2019, 6:20 am
Why do I get a dejavu felling about the existing Halifax class drawing in the archive

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Halifax Class FrigatePosted: September 18th, 2019, 8:01 am
Very nice work indeed.
Lacks the standard SB railings, but that's not really a serious issue in my view, though it will hide some of the details.

Heuhen,
I know what you mean but looking at them both its clear both are different drawings.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Halifax Class FrigatePosted: September 18th, 2019, 9:14 am
heuhen wrote: *
Why do I get a dejavu felling about the existing Halifax class drawing in the archive
Because you're not on the SB discord and haven't seen it develop from the ground up?

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Halifax Class FrigatePosted: September 18th, 2019, 12:50 pm
The low-quality one that this blows out of the water?

In any case, the underlying idea of "that's already in the archive, so somebody else can't draw it in Shipbucket style" is idiotic. You have no claim on what Miklania wants to draw in his/her spare time, nor do I.

[Profile] [Quote]
paul_541
Post subject: Re: Halifax Class FrigatePosted: September 18th, 2019, 1:11 pm
Nice drawing indeed Miklania ! :) There was a need for an update !

HMCS Bonaventure CVL-22 and later alterations
Paul 2024

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Halifax Class FrigatePosted: September 18th, 2019, 2:08 pm
Blackbuck wrote: *
Because you're not on the SB discord and haven't seen it develop from the ground up?
erik_t wrote: *
The low-quality one that this blows out of the water?

In any case, the underlying idea of "that's already in the archive, so somebody else can't draw it in Shipbucket style" is idiotic. You have no claim on what Miklania wants to draw in his/her spare time, nor do I.
why so angry, is just stated that I had a deja vu feeling.... What's the point with Shipbucket when people just go out and be angry, because someone stated they had a deja vu feeling........

I didn't state anything about something is wrong... So I do not see what the problem to other shipbucket member here.

I feel rather attacked, because I come with a simple deja vu statement... I didn't attack "Miklania" excellent drawing, Halifax class needed a new drawing anyway. Point it out where I did writ anything wrong.

people that know me in shipbucket, know that I almost never comment on drawing that are good or of high standard, I only comment when the drawing is bad or something wrong with it or if it might bend Shipbucket rules! Have anyone of our Veteran members even read them?

Discord is for talk, forum is for post you drawing, where we members can comment and advise to make the drawing better. but according to you people, there is no point of the forum anymore, because you do it all in discord, so when we other esteemed members, that have helped with changing shipbucket to what it is now, comment... and get attacked, because we do not use discord....

My suggestion is to close down Discord or the forum, since we have many new members posting in the forum, but other members that are in here, in short periode to post a drawings and wait for "YOUR" comment.... but get ignored, because everybody is in discord, talking, sharing information, etc.... something the forum is for..... Shipbucket as it was and how it was intended to become, is gone/destroyed.

I think I have had enough of shipbucket, for now. many new members and members that are in here only a few time a year is getting ignored, while other members get attacked, because they are not using what "everybody" is using.... of about 80 highly active members, a few of them is using discord..... but shipbucket have more than 80 members, and some of them is Bots! get a life

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Halifax Class FrigatePosted: September 18th, 2019, 2:41 pm
Guys, please relax... Shipbucket is not "gone" or "destroyed" in any way... if anything we are seeing a big uptick in new (active) members because of the Discord (not in spite of it). The forum will always be the place to post completed drawings, histories of each ship, and AU scenarios in depth. Discord remains a chatroom (similar to the old IRC). There is no requirement that users of the forum also be active in the discord server or vice versa.

Miklania's drawing is new from the ground up so there is no need to credit the original work.

[Profile] [Quote]
Miklania
Post subject: Re: Halifax Class FrigatePosted: September 18th, 2019, 11:29 pm
There is a diagram on slide 6 of this presentation, which is what I used for the basic tracing. The mast in particular needed to be eye-balled from there. Some of the sources used include the link at the bottom of the OP. I also used this set of images:

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

These blueprints appear to be two different drawings, with these up here appearing to represent the class as built. Later modifications like the Imarsat domes appear in the ones in the link.

Google images helped some, as well. I may or may not have a folder of over 50 items in it...

This was also a helpful document when it came to the boats and davits: RCN Seamanship Rigging and Procedures Manual

Last edited by Miklania on September 19th, 2019, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: