Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Karle94
Post subject: Tegetthoff Class: Austrio-Hungarian DreadnoughtsPosted: October 14th, 2019, 10:22 am
Since my US AU us in a rut, as of lately, I've been doing some other navies stuff. Included in that section, is a version of the Tegetthoff, but one that is not cripled with a severe case of top heaviness courtesy of having 4 tripple turrets on a flush decked hull. So I thought, since all I had to do to make the real ship, is swap the superfiring twins with triples, I'd do that and post it here. I used the website viribusunitis.ca to make the color scheme, as that website has the rgb/hex codes for the colors used by the Austrio-Hungarian navy. Check link at bottom of the page.

The Tegetthoff was the first, and last class of dreadnought used by the Austrio-Hungarian navy. A total of four would be built; the SMS Viribus Unitis, commisioned in december of 1912, the SMS Tegetthoff, commisioned in july 1913, the SMS Prinz Eugen in july of 1914, and lastly, the SMS Szent István, in december 1915. At a total length of 152 meters, they were among the smaller of the dreadnoughts, but not lacking for firepower, as they were armed with 12x12"/45 caliber guns, with a range of 22 kilometers, and a rate of fire of 3 rounds per minute. A secondary battery of 12x5,9 inch guns in casemates dotted the sides of the hull. She also had 18x66mm DP guns, but these seem to vary between ships and dates. The armor belt was a grand total of 11 inches, not great, but not terrible. The ships had a top speed of 20kts, driven by four propellers (2 for the Szent István.) Built to the constrains of the shipyards capable of building the ships meant that a lot was cramped onto a small hull. The triple turrets, along with a small hull, and the ship being flush-decked, meant that the ships were excessively top heavy. In fact, they were so top heavy, that they heeled over alarmingly much when doing high-speed turns, which would be limmited to 10 degrees, unless an emergency were to accure. Two of the ships would be lost, one, the Szent István was torpedoed in 1918, and the Viribus Unitis, which was sunk by the Italians during the raid on Pola/Pula.

SMS Viribus Unitis as commisioned in 1912:
[ img ]

SMS Viribus Unitis as she appeared in 1914:
[ img ]

SMS Szent István as commisioned in 1915:
[ img ]

Link to website:
http://www.viribusunitis.ca/viribus-unitis-class

Last edited by Karle94 on August 19th, 2022, 10:20 am, edited 10 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Tegetthoff Class: Austrio-Hungarian DreadnoughtsPosted: October 14th, 2019, 11:26 am
Very nice work.
I must admit had you not given the source of the paint RGB I would have been raising some eyebrows!

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Tegetthoff Class: Austrio-Hungarian DreadnoughtsPosted: October 14th, 2019, 11:30 am
The bluish grey, and the green is easy to understand, as several nations did something similar. Pink however, is a rather unconventional color.

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: Tegetthoff Class: Austrio-Hungarian DreadnoughtsPosted: October 14th, 2019, 4:11 pm
Hi Karle!

Very very good, that one. At the date 1912, the ship would however be painted dark green all over (the same website you mentioned shows the colour too); the colour you used was only used from the start of 1914. Just change the date to 1914. Or re-colour the ship; I'm sure it looks cool in green.

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Tegetthoff Class: Austrio-Hungarian DreadnoughtsPosted: October 14th, 2019, 8:04 pm
A great drawing to be sure, of an interesting little (comparatively speaking of course) ship.
I hope also to see the Szent Istvan, as she was a little different.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Tegetthoff Class: Austrio-Hungarian DreadnoughtsPosted: October 15th, 2019, 4:04 am
I've added the Tegetthoff as she appeared in 1912 with the overall green paint scheme. The old drawing has been modified to become the 1914 appearance of the Tegetthoff, but with the addition of blast bags, and torpedo nets.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Tegetthoff Class: Austrio-Hungarian DreadnoughtsPosted: October 15th, 2019, 9:13 am
Nice work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Tegetthoff Class: Austrio-Hungarian DreadnoughtsPosted: October 15th, 2019, 5:50 pm
I've added the SMS Szent István as she appeared in 1915. The Viribus Unitis and the Prinz Eugen has taken the backseat, as they did not differ from the Tegetthoff in any observable way, the Istvan did.

She had two larger propellers, instead of four smaller ones. The platform above the bridge extended all the way to the rear funnel, and two searchlights were put up there. She had some extra metal framework added above the funnel caps. She also had an extra pair of searchlights added to the mainmast, and the already existing platform was moved up. The sloped turret roof was painted dark gray. The Istvan was built in a Hungarian operated shipyard, and built by Hungarians, named after an ancient Hungarian prince. Throughout her service life, she was noted as having been somewhat shoddily built, which may have contributed to her sinking by an Italian MAS torpedo boat.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Tegetthoff Class: Austrio-Hungarian DreadnoughtsPosted: October 15th, 2019, 11:13 pm
It's remarkable how developmental ships were in this era, that a class of half-sisters might not even have the same number of shafts!

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Tegetthoff Class: Austrio-Hungarian DreadnoughtsPosted: January 1st, 2020, 8:50 pm
I've updated the ships with new crane and lifeboats, as well as improved shading on the underwater hull to better show the keel.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: