Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ] 
Navarchos
Post subject: Ottoman Ironclad Feth-i-BulendPosted: February 29th, 2020, 1:03 pm
Feth-i Bülend was ordered in 1867 from the Thames Iron Works, Blackwall Yard in London and was laid down in May 1868. She was launched in 1869 and began sea trials in 1870, being commissioned into the Ottoman Navy later that year. Upon completion, Feth-i Bülend and the other ironclads then being built in Britain and France were sent to Crete to assist in stabilizing the island in the aftermath of the Cretan Revolt of 1866–1869. During this period, the Ottoman fleet, under Hobart Pasha, remained largely inactive, with training confined to reading translated British instruction manuals.

[ img ]

Feth-i Bülend saw extensive service in the Black Sea during the Russo-Turkish War of 1877–1878, based primarily at Batumi. She took part in the bombardment of Russian positions and capture of the Black Sea port of Sokhumi on 14–16 May 1877. On 23 July, she engaged the Russian armed steamer Vesta in an inconclusive action. Poor visibility from smoke and escaping steam forced the ships to disengage, both with slight damage and few casualties. On the 31st, Feth-i Bülend, her sister ship Mukaddeme-i Hayir, the steam frigate Mubir-i Sürur, and several other ships departed Sochum for Trabzon to bring ground troops to Varna to defend against an expected Russian attack across the Danube.

The Ottoman fleet then returned to Batumi, where it remained largely inactive. During a patrol on 25 August, Feth-i Bülend encountered the Russian yacht Livadia, but the Russian vessel fled before Feth-i Bülend could close to effective range.[5] Following the Ottoman defeat in 1878, the ship was laid up in Constantinople. The fleet remained inactive at the Golden Horn for twenty years, though Feth-i Bülend was refitted at the Imperial Arsenal in 1890. During this refit, several small guns were installed, including a pair of 87 mm (3.4 in) Krupp guns, two 63 mm (2.5 in) guns, two 37 mm (1.5 in) guns, and one 25.4 mm (1 in) Nordenfelt gun.[3] At the start of the Greco-Turkish War in February 1897, the Ottomans inspected the fleet and found that almost all of the vessels, including Feth-i Bülend, to be completely unfit for combat against the Greek Navy.
Following the end of the war, the government decided to begin a naval reconstruction program. The first stage was to rebuild the older armored warships, including Feth-i Bülend. The Ottomans contacted several foreign shipyards; initially, Krupp's Germaniawerft received the contract to rebuild Feth-i Bülend on 11 August 1900, but by December 1902, the Ottomans had reached an agreement with Armstrong-Ansaldo in Genoa to rebuild the vessel. The work was conducted between 1903 and 1907. The ship was reboilered with a pair of water-tube boilers manufactured by the Imperial Arsenal, which improved speed slightly to 9 kn (17 km/h; 10 mph). Her armament was completely replaced with new, quick-firing guns manufactured by Krupp. Four 15 cm SK L/40 guns were mounted in the casemate, and six 75 mm (3 in) guns and six 57 mm (2.2 in) guns were installed on the upper deck.

At the outbreak of the Italo-Turkish War of 1911–1912, Feth-i Bülend was assigned to the Reserve Division, and she saw no action during the conflict. Instead, she was disarmed and most of her weapons—including all four 15 cm guns, and four each of the 75 mm and 57 mm guns—were used to bolster the defenses of Salonica's harbor. The guns were manned by 90 of the ship's crew. The ship itself was converted to a barracks ship. At the time of the outbreak of the First Balkan War on 18 October 1912, the ship's commander was Captain (Binbaşi) Aziz Mahmut Bey, who also functioned as the naval garrison commander. On the night of 31 October, the Greek torpedo boat No. 11 passed by the shore batteries and searchlights and through the mine barrages at 22:20. She launched three torpedoes at 23:30 against Feth-i Bülend. One torpedo missed, hitting the quay, but the two others hit the ship, causing her to capsize and sink. Seven of its crew, including the ship's imam, were killed in the sinking, while the Greek vessel exited the harbor by the same route without further incident
(info from wikipedia)

Last edited by Navarchos on February 29th, 2020, 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Ottoman Ironclad Feth-i-BulendPosted: February 29th, 2020, 3:54 pm
I'm sure it's a great work, but the picture is not visible (same in upload thread). :(

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Ottoman Ironclad Feth-i-BulendPosted: February 29th, 2020, 9:25 pm
No image. :(

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
The_Sprinklez
Post subject: Re: Ottoman Ironclad Feth-i-BulendPosted: February 29th, 2020, 9:44 pm
Right click and load it in a new tab. For some reason, that image host has image protection that doesn't allow it to show when hotlinked.

Im Schatten des Adlers - An Alternate History Timeline: http://shipbucket.com/wiki/index.php/Ca ... des_Adlers

[Profile] [Quote]
Navarchos
Post subject: Re: Ottoman Ironclad Feth-i-BulendPosted: February 29th, 2020, 10:33 pm
I hope now you can see it
otherwise any reliable site to uploade the pic?

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Ottoman Ironclad Feth-i-BulendPosted: February 29th, 2020, 11:44 pm
Navarchos wrote: *
I hope now you can see it
otherwise any reliable site to uploade the pic?
I use Imgur, just because it's easy. I can directly drop the drawing-file in there and just copy the image link.

I bet someone will comment that I can upload it directly into the archive.... but it's still not as simple as imgur and I feel that is better to let those that know what they are doing, do it

[Profile] [Quote]
Navarchos
Post subject: Re: Ottoman Ironclad Feth-i-BulendPosted: March 14th, 2020, 7:22 pm
Good evening everyone

I hope the drawing is now visible

Igmur is realy nice and easy to work with...i hope to keep the posts and not deleted overtime

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Ottoman Ironclad Feth-i-BulendPosted: March 16th, 2020, 8:23 pm
Excellent work!

[Profile] [Quote]
seeker36340
Post subject: Re: Ottoman Ironclad Feth-i-BulendPosted: March 26th, 2020, 4:35 pm
It was visible the first time....quite a drawing

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs”

Jump to: