Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
GarethDavies1
Post subject: MV AsterixPosted: January 13th, 2021, 12:06 am
[https://imgur.com/RpHQE4o][/img[ img ]]

[Profile] [Quote]
Rainmaker
Post subject: Re: MV AsterixPosted: January 13th, 2021, 3:59 pm
Really fantastic work here, especially for a new member. This is actually a project that I've been slowly picking away at for some time, but I'm glad to see that you've completed it! There are a few minor details that could be fixed but overall I think you've done a fantastic job here, especially with the refueling stations amidships which are very complex.

I've taken the liberty of outlining a few small details which could be added/fixed - of course, if you have better references, by all means, I'm willing to be corrected as well.

[ img ]

As a final note - you may wish to consult the real designs section to find a more accurate paint colour scheme for the MV Asterix. M. Morris has done a very good job at capturing the distinctive RCN blue-grey scheme on his Halifax - class frigate drawing (FFH 334 HMCS Regina). I've also attached below what I consider a very faithful rendition of the CH-148 Cyclone in its proper dark grey colour scheme:

[ img ]

Of course, all of these recommendations on my behalf are up to your own personal preference, and I want to once again commend you on the fantastic work so far! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work in the future and I encourage you to keep up the great work.

Last edited by Rainmaker on January 13th, 2021, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
GarethDavies1
Post subject: Re: MV AsterixPosted: January 13th, 2021, 4:07 pm
Thanks Rainmaker, I really appreciate your comments and observations. I needed an extra pair of eyes to look at things so will do some amendments. I have enjoyed doing this ship, not easy but a good challenge.
Gareth

[Profile] [Quote]
GarethDavies1
Post subject: Re: MV AsterixPosted: January 13th, 2021, 4:13 pm
Thanks Rainmaker, I really appreciate your comments and observations. I needed an extra pair of eyes to look at things so will do some amendments. I have enjoyed doing this ship, not easy but a good challenge.
Gareth

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: MV AsterixPosted: January 13th, 2021, 8:38 pm
if I was going to be nitpicking, then I would say that the angle of the front of the main structure, doesn't match the drawing Rainmaker posted. but then, how accurate is that drawing... a picture is always better!

But one thing I would fix. In shipbucket we always have black outline around windows:
- bridge windows
- I think it is also the wings are angled a little more in then you have it now, when I look at pictures and drawings.

You could also improve on the shading on overhangs and in those cutouts for lifeboats etc.

If you scroll down to "4. colors" it show you how it's done in a simple way:
http://shipbucket.com/styleguide

- for deep cutouts, I would use a three level shading with a little extra. Basic main color (ship color), light shade then a dark shade at the top). It's always dark up in the corner!

[Profile] [Quote]
Rainmaker
Post subject: Re: MV AsterixPosted: January 14th, 2021, 2:09 am
heuhen wrote: *
if I was going to be nitpicking, then I would say that the angle of the front of the main structure, doesn't match the drawing Rainmaker posted. but then, how accurate is that drawing... a picture is always better!
That is from an official render by Davie Shipbuilding, who did the AOR conversion on MV Asterix, so I do lend it a high degree of credibility, especially with the basic structure of the ship. With that being said, there are details on the render that are clearly out of date when you compare them with the ship as she entered service - so as you say, using a picture for reference is always useful.

[Profile] [Quote]
GarethDavies1
Post subject: Re: MV AsterixPosted: January 16th, 2021, 2:29 pm
Hi
Have made quite a few changes, so thanks to Rainmaker and Heuhen for the pointers. Please feel free to make further suggestions.

Thanks

Last edited by GarethDavies1 on January 16th, 2021, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
GarethDavies1
Post subject: Re: MV AsterixPosted: January 16th, 2021, 3:09 pm
Sorry spotted a mistake

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: MV AsterixPosted: January 16th, 2021, 6:23 pm
Very nice work, I would only say, look a bit at the consistency of the shading under overhangs. For example under the pilothouse you have one kind of shading, in the cutouts for the boats you seem to have the proper shading in shipbucket style, while the other small overhangs forward seem to have just a single line or no shading at all (for example the platforms on the crane)

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: MV AsterixPosted: January 17th, 2021, 10:58 am
Welcome aboard, I agree with everyone its a very fine first drawing.
We all make little mistakes and can improve some bits.
I hope to see more from you in the future.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 23 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: