Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
eswube
Post subject: Problem with templatesPosted: July 31st, 2021, 8:55 pm
Dear friends, I'd like to raise an issue regarding the templates. Not with how they look like "as designed", but how they sometimes end up looking on finished works.
That's a problem that happens from time to time "since always", but just it has been raised by one User in private conversation with me, and I promised to try to do something about it.

As the point 6 of the Shipbucket Style Guide says (http://shipbucket.com/styleguide#6)

The background of all Shipbucket drawings is blank white (#FFFFFF or RGB 255,255,255).

#FFFFFF means totally white. Not #FFFFFF7 or anything like that, but total, absolute, complete and perfect white. So white it's almost politically incorrect. Not almost-white, not white-ish, but WHITE.

Not like that:

[ img ]

(the white part was white as it should be, while orange area was not correctly white)

I don't want to name names, but there are some users (some of them fairly prolific) that tend to have this problem more often than others.
When I notice such issue, I tend to correct it, but I will freely admit I'm not specifically looking for it, so certainly there's a number of works in the archive where the background white is not as white as it should be.

Thank You in advance for Your cooperation in the future. ;)

P.S. Btw. proper alignment of the ships/planes on the template and not extending the template without need would be also appreciated. ;)

P.P.S. Careful checking for missing pixels of weird artifacts wouldn't be bad either. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Problem with templatesPosted: August 1st, 2021, 5:09 am
are the blank templates posted in various places correct with the color values?

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Problem with templatesPosted: August 1st, 2021, 9:49 am
These

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1243

and these

http://shipbucket.com/wiki/index.php/Sh ... _Templates

ARE. (255.255.255)

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Problem with templatesPosted: August 1st, 2021, 10:07 am
Whenever I do a drawing I always fill the entire template with orange and then then refill with white once I'm satisfied everything around the drawing is orange first.
Doesn't take long to do and ensures no slip ups. Yes, we've all suffered from at least one stray pixel, its inevitable to some extent but careful cleaning post-drawing pays dividends.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Problem with templatesPosted: August 8th, 2021, 2:27 pm
I am going to "steal" your idea, Hood ! :D , because sometimes I forget to erase the orange guide lines :oops: .

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Problem with templatesPosted: August 8th, 2021, 11:19 pm
The user that seem to have this problem, is this me? I usually dont paint the background so I usually dont see if it's perfect white.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Problem with templatesPosted: August 9th, 2021, 4:07 am
I have never had that problem, only some parts, from one member.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Problem with templatesPosted: August 9th, 2021, 8:29 am
Karle94 wrote: *
The user that seem to have this problem, is this me? I usually dont paint the background so I usually dont see if it's perfect white.
I didn't wanted to point my finger, and frankly I didn't even thought about You, but I am grateful for making me realize that it was a HUGE mistake. :P

This time orange areas are "proper white (was)" and those that seem white... are not. :roll: :P
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Corp
Post subject: Re: Problem with templatesPosted: August 9th, 2021, 10:55 pm
I don't think this is a super big issue as I doubt anyone is doing this intentionally. It's probably just something up with whatever program / system settings people use. I'm not sure it's always going to be easy for someone to catch if their background is #FFFFFF7 instead of #FFFFFF. Stray pixels/ blocks can be caught with the paint bucket but if the whole background is wrong it's not going to be as easy to catch and I'm doubtful that anyone is going to be religiously checking the hex value of their background white prior to posting.

heuhen wrote: *
I have never had that problem, only some parts, from one member.
I think I ran into it once many years ago on a drawing but I don't think it was one from the archive. It has however for me been a persistent issue with some of the part sheets I have some of which use multiple colors of white in the background. (I don't think I've had it with any of the newer ones currently on the wiki but some older ones from the forums definitely have this problem). Not much that can be done in that field though besides trying to avoid it with future part sheets.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Problem with templatesPosted: August 10th, 2021, 9:50 am
Corp wrote: *
I don't think this is a super big issue as I doubt anyone is doing this intentionally. It's probably just something up with whatever program / system settings people use. I'm not sure it's always going to be easy for someone to catch if their background is #FFFFFF7 instead of #FFFFFF. Stray pixels/ blocks can be caught with the paint bucket but if the whole background is wrong it's not going to be as easy to catch and I'm doubtful that anyone is going to be religiously checking the hex value of their background white prior to posting.
Corp...
I didn't started this thread in order to get people's opinions on wether they consider it a "super big issue" or not. And I'm also not asking anyone to "religiously check the hex value of the background white" - I'm only asking them to post things where the background of their work is matching the background white of the standard templates that are posted in several places for all to use. It's not my whim, it's just part of the Shipbucket rules, that were conceived long before I joined in, and, for that matter, long before You joined in as well.

Also, it's actually very easy to check if "your" background white and template's background white match and it takes just some seconds (10-20?). When you import the drawing (the ship/plane/vehicle/gun/etc. itself) onto the template and then fill the "supposedly white" area with some other color (in basic Paint it's the tool that looks like a jar from which paint is pouring - second from top in the right colum on the left toolbar - I'm sure that all other graphic editors that are commonly used for Shipbucket work should have something similar) and not all of the supposedly-white area (that isn't limited by "legitimate" lines made in other colors) gets repainted, only then it means there's a problem. And if there's no problem, you just click undo (Ctrl Z) and that's it - all the oh-so-apparently-hard-and-exhausting-for-you work. While if there is a problem... well, then it becomes a matter of courtesy towards others, to present them with "clean" work. One of the main points of Shipbucket is that it's easily repaint-able, uniform and standardized. Messy coloring (including background) makes it somewhat less so.

Oh, and btw. I am checking if my works are cleaned up. I don't claim I have 100% success rate in it, but I'd say that it kinda weakens your argument about being "doubtful that anyone is going to be religiously checking the hex value of their background white prior to posting. "

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: