Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
Corp
Post subject: Re: Problem with templatesPosted: August 10th, 2021, 4:38 pm
I think you misunderstood what I meant by " if the whole background is wrong". I know exactly how to do the process you describe it's exactly what I meant by "Stray pixels/ blocks can be caught with the paint bucket" and I think that's a normal part of the drawing process. What I meant by "if the whole background is wrong " is that if for some reason say both my worksheet and the copy of the template I've pasted it onto somehow end up get corrupted to #FFFFFF7 than the paint bucket trick won't help. It will still fill as one color but when I revert it will be the wrong shade of white. In a case such as that it's probably not going to be caught because you do need to actually check the hex value.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Problem with templatesPosted: August 10th, 2021, 8:13 pm
@Corp
If somehow (how?) all the things You've mentioned would happen, then indeed that would be the case. But neither of the examples I've shown earlier is like that.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Problem with templatesPosted: August 12th, 2021, 2:26 pm
eswube as always is absolutely correct -- there should never be any case where a drawing has anything other than absolute white (#FFFFFF) in the background of the template. It is the responsibility of the artist (not eswube) to notice and correct this. This is a hard and fast rule and must be adhered to by all users submitting drawings to be uploaded.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Problem with templatesPosted: August 12th, 2021, 3:26 pm
I'll slightly side track a bit.

What I do when I have many different pixel or when I draw over an low quality line drawing, in paint. I save my file as a "16 color bitmap (BMP)", thus 100 different colors, become just a few.

I Normally don't have a problem with templates, but what I experience quiet often, is parts that have a few random "off"-white pixels in random places, and there are some missile launchers that have more than a few grey color variation

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Problem with templatesPosted: August 12th, 2021, 6:49 pm
@Colosseum
Thank You for the support!

Btw. I was told (by one of Users who prefers to use more sophisticated tools than just MS Paint) that apparently in some editors such problems potentially may be also caused by use of opacity-adjusting functions (that come with use of layers and the like). As I'm not using such editors and am not familiar with their advanced functionality, I'm not even trying to discuss it, just mention it, so that other Artists could perhaps take it into account.

@Heuhen
Yeah, whenever it's possible (so basically only with exception - moderately rare - of using color drawings as base) I also save the already properly resized source drawing as 16-color one, copy it back to normal-colored png file and only then start the basic tracing (in high-contrast false colors). That's a way of conduct I'd like to suggest, especially to newer Members.
(problem remains when the source drawing is multi-color one - reducing it to just 16-color bitmap would make it largely unreadable - in such situation I just overpaint "old" drawing, though it's bit tedious)

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Problem with templatesPosted: August 12th, 2021, 7:31 pm
eswube wrote: *
@Heuhen
Yeah, whenever it's possible (so basically only with exception - moderately rare - of using color drawings as base) I also save the already properly resized source drawing as 16-color one, copy it back to normal-colored png file and only then start the basic tracing (in high-contrast false colors). That's a way of conduct I'd like to suggest, especially to newer Members.
(problem remains when the source drawing is multi-color one - reducing it to just 16-color bitmap would make it largely unreadable - in such situation I just overpaint "old" drawing, though it's bit tedious)
In those situations, I paint (overpaint) everything that is important in red, then save it as a 16 color bmp. and delete any other unnecessary colors and just hand draw in details from photos and other refs.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Problem with templatesPosted: August 12th, 2021, 9:18 pm
eswube wrote: *
@Colosseum
Thank You for the support!

Btw. I was told (by one of Users who prefers to use more sophisticated tools than just MS Paint) that apparently in some editors such problems potentially may be also caused by use of opacity-adjusting functions (that come with use of layers and the like). As I'm not using such editors and am not familiar with their advanced functionality, I'm not even trying to discuss it, just mention it, so that other Artists could perhaps take it into account.
It's a good thing to call out, but usually these features are not necessary for drawing in our style -- and anyway it's the responsibility of the artist to know his tools ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Problem with templatesPosted: October 2nd, 2021, 4:45 pm
Originally I didn't wanted to point finger at anyone, but this is a new example, posted after this discussion took place, so... :P

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Sheepster
Post subject: Re: Problem with templatesPosted: October 2nd, 2021, 11:45 pm
Thanks @eswube, caught and corrected.
@Hood, I'll also start using your plan of changing the colour background while working.
Now, back to the hard-drive to check every illustration I've got still pending ...

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: