Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 55  [ 549 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 655 »
darthpanda
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: July 25th, 2011, 6:17 am
offcause, only the British government can fail so completely with their aviation policy! but back to the drawing, where should I put the gun? I can't put it under the intake like the Mirage III, because there is the main landing gear.

- RHKAAF / HKGFS - 皇家香港輔助空軍 / 政府飛行服務隊
- Gunbucket - LINK

天滅中共全黨死清光!

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: July 25th, 2011, 8:57 pm
I'm not sure she would have carried guns.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: July 25th, 2011, 9:17 pm
darthpanda wrote:
offcause, only the British government can fail so completely with their aviation policy! but back to the drawing, where should I put the gun? I can't put it under the intake like the Mirage III, because there is the main landing gear.
Wings?

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: July 25th, 2011, 9:27 pm
The wings were very thin.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: July 26th, 2011, 7:32 pm
Some aircraft had their guns in the fairings of the engines inlet ducts (Grumman F11F Tiger for instance, or Vought F7U Cutlass)

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
darthpanda
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: July 27th, 2011, 9:06 am
or on the wing root like the A-4, I think the FDII MKI will not have guns at all. RAF were so in to the missiles, I think MK II/III will put a Aden Cannon pod under the fuselage.

- RHKAAF / HKGFS - 皇家香港輔助空軍 / 政府飛行服務隊
- Gunbucket - LINK

天滅中共全黨死清光!

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: July 27th, 2011, 8:36 pm
Nice effort Darth, but it looks like you've followed my What-if Delta II which was basically a Mirage with some Delta II fighter features.

The real designs (there seem to be two fighter designs, possibly a third too) have wingtip Firestreak and box intakes. The work Fairey did varies from a basic fighter conversion to a proper fighter with radar etc but in reality all were nearly all-new designs based on the layout of the Delta II. The II lacked fuel and other internal space and was only a testbed. I don't neccesarily buy the arguement that the Delta II could have been a Mirage, it probably wouldn't have been a multi-role type, and would have shared only limited ancestory to the Delta II. Both the Mirage and the Delta shared a common design but that's more coincidence than anything else, Dassault looked at the Fairey and saw he was on the right track.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
squizzy
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: July 28th, 2011, 11:35 am
If the nose section is fixed and the mechanical equipment that allowed the nose of the Delta IIs nose to droop down removed a internal gun bay may be plausible either in 3 ways. 1) go for the combined conformal gun and fuel blister pack similar to that fitted to the EE/BAC Lightning F-3A and F-6 and at same time helps increase the fuel load capacity issue, 2) run it along the side of the fuselage just above and slightly rear of the fwd nose landing gear without it interferring with the nose gear bay and doors similar to the HAL HF-24 Marut Fighters or 3) go for the internal gun bay just directly behind the fwd land gear bay similar to whats on both the SAAB J-35 Draken and AJ-JA37 Viggen as well as on the Russian MIG-21 and MIG-23 fighters.

"The British Air Farce have droopped their bums on the water works..They have scored a direct hot on the pimps"- British agent/gendarme Officer Crabtree, "Allo,Allo."

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: July 28th, 2011, 7:52 pm
Here some odds and ends attached.
I know Bobmhead has a useful stash of stuff! ;)

The top drawing is the ER.103C fighter and the pic below that is a cross-section which might help with overall shape etc.
The bottom picture is a two-seater with side-by-side seats and is an interim F.155 Delta III and is based on the II.

Super-Darings

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: July 30th, 2011, 1:47 pm
Here is another what-if aircraft, the Hawker P.1121.

Developed as a private venture by Hawker based on work done on the P.1103 and the later private P.1116 ground-attack fighter the P.1121 was designed as a supersonic fighter with AI.23 radar and two Red Top and fifty RPs in two side boxes. It could be used for the tactical nuclear strike role with a drop tank on the starboard side and a Red Beard on the port side, the radar was replaced by Doppler navigation and two cameras.
Hawker pumped its own money into this project and tried to make the Air Staff and Ministry of Supply see sense and abandon F.155 in favour of this more realistic project. No offical funds were forthcoming and the prototype was abandoned in 1958, with only a few million needed to make her fly...
I leave it for the viewer to decide whether the engine is an Olympus or a Gyron.

[ img ]
Some What-if schemes, two fighter (ex Javelin and ex Hunter Squadrons) and one bomber (ex Canberra) sqaudron.

Super-Darings

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 55  [ 549 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 655 »

Jump to: