Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 6  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Thiel
Post subject: Re: NEW TEMPLATESPosted: February 11th, 2012, 6:07 pm
I can't see how this proposal would solve any of the problems you claim our current generation of templates have.
And what do you do if you need more than two lines for the ships name and other information? Because that's much more common than running out of space for the ship itself.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: NEW TEMPLATESPosted: February 11th, 2012, 6:32 pm
There is the inbuild sligth hint in our templates: if it doesen't fit, then perhaps the thing is too large for the scale ;)
Claiming that in most of the cases one should need a length bar up to 400 meters is totally BS; since almost 90% of all ships in the catalogue falls under 200 meters, most under 100 meters. For megalomaniac AU wanks of super-super-yamatokiller Battle cruisers the template migth poses proplems, but last time I checked, the archive was about real ships, AUs beeing left for casualties in the forum.

And we have always been using these sheets since the begning, when ever that was in 7-6 years ago.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: NEW TEMPLATESPosted: February 11th, 2012, 7:36 pm
I've never understood what the big deal was about templates. If your drawing doesn't fit, expand the template down or to the right. It's as simple as that.

I long ago gave up trying for uniformity across ships so you might as well make things easy for people.

[Profile] [Quote]
LordMalachi
Post subject: Re: NEW TEMPLATESPosted: February 11th, 2012, 7:41 pm
I never said most cases, I realize it's rare, but that shouldn't mean the template shouldn't be able to handle it. The point of a modular template (which mine is) is to handle all cases. And it's not BS to say 400m would possibly be used. Here's an example of a real design that fits perfectly at 350m, with a border marker for where the image should be cropped to since this ship didn't have a ship badge. The scale would be cropped to 350m as well but I couldn't show that without actually doing it.

[ img ]
TestTemplate2 by ~~@ Lord Malachi @~~ The Awesome Coon of Awesome, on Flickr

I also added the appropriate border for if there was no underwater section.

I'm aware that the site is primarily for real life designs, but deciding that the template should only be designed to handle real life designs is rather short sighted, if not discriminatory. "AUs being left for casualties in the forum." sounds like you have a very dim view on AUs, whether that's true or you just had a moment of miscommunication, they should still be treated the same as any other design in respect to the templates they are required to follow.

So 90% of all ships in the catalog fall under 200m, that just means 90% of the time a large portion of the template would be cropped out. But the other 10% of the time, it's there and no one has to sit around asking what they should do about the template not being large enough.

Also in regard to Thiel's comment, I don't see how it doesn't solve the problems I mentioned? Regardless of length, it will always fit the ship after cropping. And after rearanging everything to be based off of the top and left borders of the screen, it's very easy to crop in MS Paint. I also gave a little more space for the 3rd text line, I thought I left enough room for 3 but I didn't, thank you for catching that.

As for how long you've been using them, I assumed that since this thread is only a year or so old, that the "New Templates" were also only that old. If they predate the thread then I assumed wrong. I'm sorry.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: NEW TEMPLATESPosted: February 11th, 2012, 7:59 pm
Can't really comment on a "new template" since I just make my own, but...
Quote:
I'm aware that the site is primarily for real life designs, but deciding that the template should only be designed to handle real life designs is rather short sighted, if not discriminatory. "AUs being left for casualties in the forum." sounds like you have a very dim view on AUs, whether that's true or you just had a moment of miscommunication, they should still be treated the same as any other design in respect to the templates they are required to follow.
The primary reason this site exists is to display real designs. AU/Never Built/Personal Designs are completely secondary and do not factor into any of the administrative decisions made here, at least when I was on staff, and I know that rule still exists today.

[Profile] [Quote]
LordMalachi
Post subject: Re: NEW TEMPLATESPosted: February 11th, 2012, 8:00 pm
Alright, but do they still have to follow the templates?

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: NEW TEMPLATESPosted: February 11th, 2012, 8:09 pm
Yess
All stuff posted in this forum is going to be on the templates. Case closed. now move onwards ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
LordMalachi
Post subject: Re: NEW TEMPLATESPosted: February 11th, 2012, 8:25 pm
Alright, I'm sorry I brought it up. Please excuse my constant desire to improve things.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: NEW TEMPLATESPosted: February 11th, 2012, 8:27 pm
well, you aren't the only one who has tried it in his first weeks in the bucket ;). eventually they all learn...

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: NEW TEMPLATESPosted: February 11th, 2012, 8:38 pm
LordMalachi wrote:
Alright, I'm sorry I brought it up. Please excuse my constant desire to improve things.
Please don't come here with a snippy attitude.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 6  [ 53 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: